Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remember SWLing when it was fun?  (Read 79242 times)
NK7Z

Ignore
« on: January 30, 2013, 05:41:37 AM »

Remember the days when:

1.  Radio Moscow used to send you "awards"?
2.  Radio Peking existed?
3.  The woodpecker?
4.  The rhetoric on SW was a hoot to listen too?
     a.  "The american government preys on it's people like insects" sort of banter...
     b.  Vlad Posner of Radio Moscow?
     c.  Pretty much anything out of Radio Peking.
5.  A simple antenna would work, you did not need a multiband antenna, you just put up a long wire.
6.  A simple radio would work?
7.  You were young!
8.  Box 88

I miss those days a lot now...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 06:49:55 AM »

"1.  Radio Moscow used to send you "awards"?" Don't know about you Komrad but they never gave ME any awards. Smiley

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Others listened to Radio Moscow; I ONLY listened to Ronald Reagan on TV Smiley

- You built the receiver you used

- In my case the above receiver ONLY picked up CHU Canada

- Re-tuned the family AM radio above and below its intended range

- You pretty much got electrical shocks from everything

- You knew nothing about antennas - No one knew anything about antennas

- When you owned zero test equipment or tools

- Only electronic genius you knew was the TV repair guy

- Took bus to ham/surplus stores

- (If ham) lived in utter fear of the FCC. I actually got two Pink Tickets. (Heath VFO, ya know)

- Bought replacement tubes at Walgreens

- All the good AM stations began with "X."

- Local AM (KWK in St Louis) ended the scourge of Rock n Roll with this:
[ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N92bt6W30UI ]
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 08:33:20 AM »

Nice, and correct...  I miss those days sometimes...  Especially liked the Stations begin with X!

Thanks,
Dave
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 12:49:31 PM »

I remember those days... when stations from Communist countries used all that Communist jargon: "imperialist running dogs, and their stooges..." etc.... especially on the Voice Of Vietnam, the North Korean station, and Radio Havana used a lot of it, too, up until the late 1980's.

I also remember Vladimir Posner and Joe Adamov on Radio Moscow.
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 01:58:41 PM »

Radio albania in the seventies: GDP was increasing 10-15 % every month or so! !!
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 03:06:57 PM »

Are there any stations really left anymore, or did most of them go to Internet delivery?  I do so miss them...  Been doing pirates for the past few years...

Thanks,
Dave
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 03:09:01 PM »

"1.  Radio Moscow used to send you "awards"?" Don't know about you Komrad but they never gave ME any awards. Smiley

I got several little "awards" from them...  If you sent in reception reports on a regular basis, you got pins, and such you could wear...  I was young, then, and loved them so...  Komrad!  Smiley

Thanks,
Dave
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 08:24:19 PM »

Are there any stations really left anymore, or did most of them go to Internet delivery?  I do so miss them...  Been doing pirates for the past few years...
   Radio Havanna Cuba is still around!  They were really fun to listen to way back when.  Today it costs nations quite a bit to set up powerful transmitters on the SW bands.  They can now put their stations online for a heck of a lot less, and regardless of the propagation conditions, they will always be heard.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 10:23:13 PM »

Radio Havanna Cuba is still around!  They were really fun to listen to way back when.  Today it costs nations quite a bit to set up powerful transmitters on the SW bands.  They can now put their stations online for a heck of a lot less, and regardless of the propagation conditions, they will always be heard.
I fear you are correct...  A SW station IS a lot more expensive than a PC...  Of course, you no longer need all fo the studio/glue to hold it together either...  I wonder what this new generation will thing of the Internet stations in 50 years...

Thanks,
Dave
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 09:24:52 PM »

You guys are kidding. I'm convinced. Trying to get a rise out of us SWLers lol. I am supposed to believe that with all your expensive equipment and massive antennas and vast ham knowledge, you don't get anything on SW BC?
I will let this site speak for me
 http://www.short-wave.info/
oh-and the Voice Of Korea still refers to the US as "imperialists"-in english too.
http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,84920.0.html

lol
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 04:02:54 AM »

'Hegemonistic, imperialistic, air-pirate, knee-walking stooges of capitalist mopery..."  //Sounds like what comes out of Washington D.C. these days . . //

There is still much to listen to on SWBC. However, it is a shadow of what was on SWBC during the pre-internet days.  That's just a simple fact. Internet is marvelous in that high quality audio/video is sent world wide for a fraction of the budget of any significant HF broadcaster with no fades, no jammers, no phase distortion - when it is all working correctly, which IS most of the time.  Furthermore, the audience for internet broadcasting is many times larger than those who listen to short-wave radios, especially in the United States in particular, which was was always oriented toward near monopoly 'networks' in the short range market of AM/FM & TV stations, rather than global short-wave.  Even the BBC has gone the way of 'Happy Station', "Swiss Radio International" and etc. for North Americans.  Unfortunately, it makes fiscal sense - though I regret it.

Is it handy to have audio on demand, or to watch Japanese cooking shows on NHK on-line rather than listening to the same show in audio only through 6,000 miles of 'ether'?  - sure.  However, I still love my short-wave with Voice of Russia and All India Radio at the top of my list for news & commentary and U.S. short-wave broadcasters for entertainment and the occasional forray into the world of the bizzarre...    Roll Eyes

However, the problem with internet ONLY communication is that in the case of a loss of commercial infrastructure , we'd WISH that we still had short-wave radio broadcasting on a scale to make it useful.  This is one reason why I greatly appreciate HF ham: the ability to communicate without commercial infrastructure - plus, it's enjoyable.   Smiley

73 de Ray
W7ASA ..._ ._

NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 08:10:27 AM »

Ray is correct, the SW broadcasts of today are nothing compared to what they were 50 years ago...  You had to fight your way to a station because teh bands were so crowded.  The stations used to value the listeners...  Take a listen to Radio Havana, they have not changed a lot over the past 20 or so years...  On the other hand Radio Peking used to be a hoot to listen to.  Now it is very tame...  Radio N. Korea, (or whatever they call themselves now), has always been the way it is today, insane! 

73's

Thanks,
Dave
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 10:39:26 AM »

ok let's see-there's still the VOA all day with world news&views relating to Asia in special english out of the Asias in my morning; world news&views, news segments given by African folks, music like African, American rock&jazz and pop etc out of Africa/Ascension in my daytime; more of the same out of Africa/Madagascar/Seychelles in my evenings. Then there's R Australia, BBC, DeutschWelle, R.Romania, Channel Africa, CRI, V Of Russia, V Of VietNam, V Of Korea, R Cairo, R Japan, good old Alex Jones going nuts every night etc. all in English that I get here on a regular basis every day. That is not even 1/8th of what there is just in English still out there. Then there's the vast services in other languages and bible thumpers and good old Canada is still in there too at night on 6070 and 6130.
Not to mention the tons of utilities that can keep you busy hunting for the whole night on ssb aside from BCs. Just saying, no it aint "the same" as years gone by but it also aint nowhere near as "dead" as some would like to portray it.
And I can still fire up my trusty old boatanchor here and run some fine SW BCs through its awesome FM sounding audio and still get that nostalgic feeling some say is long-lost. No it isn't. Get in on it while we still have it I say Wink

EDIT @ 1904utc: right now I have V Of Korea on 11535kHz, R Australia on 11880kHz, VOA on 15580kHz, bible thumper on 9479kHz, bible thumper on 21630kHz all 5 BCs in English. It's 11:06am my time. I remember as a kid in the 60s-70s, I was lucky if I got ONE English station along with WWV on the old Transoceanic 3000-1 in the daytime. In that respect it hasn't changed much at all. Come 0100utc, they'll all start loading up the bands like crazy and as usual, I'll have a bunch more to cruise Smiley
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 11:13:13 AM by HFCRUSR » Logged
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 11:28:31 AM »

HFCRUSER,

Really not trying to get a rise out of the SWLers...  How long have you been listening to SW?  Again, not trying to be contentious here, but just want to be sure you are old enough to remember SWLing 50 years ago is all? 

It really is very very different than it is now...  It is all ever so much more friendly now...  Back in the old days, you could listen to Radio Moscow, (now Voice of Russia), talk about how evil the US was; how we wanted them all dead; and would probably pull off a first nuke strike if we thought we could get away with it...  Oh yes, they were always trying to convert the listeners to Communism as well.  Now we all get to have a sharing moment on Voice of Russia...  I miss Vlad and his scathing commentary on US policy...  All the old timers will know who I am talking about.

Radio Peking was even better, they would really would get wound...  I remember one transmission from when I was a kid, they were talking about the American Government: "preying on the American people like insects"...  Now, we all get to have a sharing moment, and to learn Chinese...  Not at all like it used to be... 

Radio Vietnam, they simply hated us in the 70's, probably had to do with that war thing we had going with them then...  North Korea has not changed much...  I think what I am saying is that the stations now are all trying to be everyone's friend, as opposed to 50 or 60 years ago, when they all hated the US, and had no issue telling us about it.  SWLing was a lot more entertaining then than now is all I am saying.

SWLing is still fun, no question about it, but it is not like it used to be...  I still like to listen for Utilities...  I do so miss SWLog though...  I was going to get much more active in SWLing again recently, and discovered that SWLog was no longer supported...  That is sad, it was one of the most well thought out programs I have ever seen for the SWLer... 

Please take this in the manner it is intended, not to be contentious, but to sort of bemoan missing the old days of SWLing...  Remember the US was different then too, the postman was convinced that I was some sort of radical anti US type because of the QSL cards I got from all over the world.

73's,

Thanks,
Dave
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 11:29:37 AM »

I remember those days... when stations from Communist countries used all that Communist jargon: "imperialist running dogs, and their stooges..." etc.... especially on the Voice Of Vietnam, the North Korean station, and Radio Havana used a lot of it, too, up until the late 1980's.

I also remember Vladimir Posner and Joe Adamov on Radio Moscow.

Oddly enough, I miss that... It was a great source of entertainment for me in my youth...
73's

Thanks,
Dave
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: