Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IAC SWL antenna  (Read 9354 times)
W0NTS

Ignore
« on: January 30, 2013, 11:52:37 AM »

I note that IAC makes and sells a SWL antenna based on the "bazooka" design. Has anyone used one of these antennas and if so how well do you feel it works? Does anyone know how to construct an antenna of this type?  Dennis Hoffman  W0NTS
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 03:08:55 PM »

I glanced at the IAC website which makes no performance claims for the SWL antenna. Exactly what is that antenna supposed to do better than a long random hunk of wire (over all those many bands)?

The subject of Bazooka antennas comes up on eham occasionally. Here antenna expert W8JI and others talk about them;

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?action=printpage;topic=79314.0
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 03:19:42 PM »

Here's what they say about the SWL version:

http://iacantennas.com/13-120-Meter-SWL-Broadcast-Bazooka-Antenna.26

HuhHuh?

"•Since this antenna has no exposed metal wire static charges can not build up hus reducing noise by 6 dB over antennas constructed of exposed wired"

So wire antennas such as dipoles ought be plastic coated? Hmmm. I worked 350 countries without knowing that!

K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 08:28:33 AM »

Receivers aren't particularly fussy about antenna design.  If you are looking  for low angle or direction switching there is plenty of info on that, but by and large you will hear a LOT with  50 feet or more of  wire up and  in the clear.  Doesn't have to be a "brand", most of which are trying to make performance mountain claims about molehill differences-- like the plastic covered wire is quieter deal.  Make it a dipole, feed it with cheap twinlead, and match it with a used MFJ low power tuner.
What you need to study is what different lengths of wire do at different heights in terms of "arrival angle" and direction.  After a while, you'll be able to look at the doppleganger double zoomie 500 and say "Oh yeah, thats just an open wire fed double extended zepp." 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: