Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just curious about Vanity call signs and CW  (Read 2760 times)
W5UX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2009, 10:07:22 PM »

The only way to go is to avoid calls with consecutive dots.  My Call belonged to my father so that is why I have it.  At higher speeds it is hard to tell the "U" from a "V"  .  Single dots not good either.  Good call is k1jj.  
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 03:58:49 PM »

"There we were, just one tiny dit apart, "working" each other. Of course, I have also worked the real-life N4KG in the 160m ARRL contest but didn't pause long enough to chat about these funny coincidences. "

I'm pretty sure I've been in 160m pileups with K3OX and N4OX at the same time.

I work N4OX in most contests I play in, including on 6m in VHF contests :-)

But back when I was N3UMH I'd end up working N3UM in any contest I entered, and that was usually a bit weird.  Lots of QRZ? even on 80m CW with big sigs...

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
K9PU

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 11:57:16 PM »

Picked the call for the way it sounded in CW and it used the same character string as my originally assigned call.  Kept the old QSL card, just erased the extra letters and put in the "K".  Works for me.

Scott
K8MMG

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 01:59:22 PM »

Actually, I tend to put more emphasis on the "weight" (or how easy it is to send).

I use this site:

http://www.radioqth.net/cwweight.aspx

Here is a list of callsigns in this thread and their weights (lightest to heaviest). I put AA8ND in the list because this is a vanity I very recently applied for:

AA4N   38
N3QE   44
NB8N   46
W7ETA   46
N4KZ   48
W5UX   48
AA8ND   52
N3OX   52
NG0K   54
K9PU   56
K4KRW   60
K7KBN   60
K8MMG   62
K0CNT   62
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 03:33:10 PM »

My call K7PEH is a vanity call chosen for my initials and not because it offers anything for CW.  Yet, most of my activity is CW and I have never had a problem with the dits at the end of my call.  And, I don't think anyone else has had a problem copying me.  Actually, I think a single dit, the E, in the middle of my suffix is a nice separation character between the P and the H and I think it does have a good rhythm to it.

I almost always use a paddle and keyer and typically send and receive around 18 to 22 wpm.  But, I am doing a few contests now just to get more experience at 30, 35 or maybe even burst of 40 wpm on those simple and short exchanges.  That is copying though, I don't send faster then 25 wpm.
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2009, 10:13:50 AM »

I chose mine based on the theory that my transmitter would be turned on more often than it was turned off so I should be louder in the pileups, but it also has some amount of iambic character

Truth be told it's the 3cx3000 that makes you loud in the pileups

73  W9OY
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2009, 11:57:33 AM »

I could have selected a strange 1X2 or 2X1 but went for the ease of my call in code. I get a lot of "nice call om"

73 de Lindy
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2009, 01:20:54 PM »

WW5AA: I could have selected a strange 1X2 or 2X1 but went for the ease of my call in code. I get a lot of "nice call om"

Yes, nice call but a better call would be WW5GG then in Morse Code it would be a palindrome (same forwards and backwards) and I would like that kind of symmetry.
KB8DFK

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2009, 11:01:24 AM »

I cant tell you how many QSL cards addressed to KB8DF I have received from the buro. The 'K' on the end has been a challenge at times.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2009, 02:07:00 PM »

During the last 22 years of having KI6LO, I had knocked around the idea of getting a vanity callsign when the vanity program started. I was an Advanced until 2000 when I decided to try for the Extra. Back then I didn't do that much CW work so I really didn't miss having the Extra segments.

In Dec 2008 my father passed away and I decided a fitting tribute would be to capture his 1x2 callsign although it was from 5 land and I was in 6 area (CA). In Feb 2009, I applied for and was granted W5DQ. As one responder mentioned, sometimes it isn't just the length but the 'weight' of the call in CW that makes the difference. W5DQ weight is 50 where KI6LO was 58. Not a great difference in weight but enough to make it easier to send W5DQ. Another thing is I know some folks would disagree, but since I'm not required to do it, I don't usually sign the '/6' on CW unless I feel it helps in the QSO or is required for a contest.

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 12:27:55 PM »

I was issued a rather ugly 1 by 3 call, initally. So ugly that nobody has ever 'taken' it again! Later, I held KW6DM for a couple years, found out how well DM sent... I had to resume my Stateside call or go off air, so back to Ugly until in '76 Extras with more than 20 could ask for a call. I was Portable TF at the time, and I asked for W7, K7, N7...DM. Only N7DM was available; I took it. Turned out better than either of the others for 'penetration'. *NOBODY* misses my First call!  Conclusion: Letters than begin with DAH are best. Letters with less than four dits/dahs are better. Calls that follow a more 'normal' pattern, 1x2, 1x3, 2x2... are better than the modern 2x1, etc.

My Experience...
N5XM

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2009, 02:51:07 PM »

My assigned call when I made Extra was ac5od.  Well, domestic stations sometimes thought I was in Saudi Arabia or Oman.  Hmmm...when I decided to get a vanity call there were actually 50 or so 1x2s still available.  I wanted something with a nice lilt to it, and eventually came down to n5xm.  I discovered later that I was the first owner of the call, which was cool.  It seemed to have a good swing to it.  There is an nx5m and I wonder if folks have sent "Dupe" to me during contests have dyslexia and it really wasn't a Dupe after all!  I wasn't the other guy/girl.
AE5I

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2009, 10:53:33 PM »

When the "gate" opened and I applied for my current callsign, my primary goal was to find the quickest-to-send-in-code callsign available in the 5 area.

AE5E and NE5E were not available and the next one I checked was AE5I...  

Tom

73 DE AE5I
K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2009, 12:47:37 PM »

My original call was KN4DPK.

Kept it about 4 months before upgrading.

The K on both ends was a pain in the tail until I realized it all had to do with emphasis and spacing.  Sometimes an exaggerated space is required between consecutive repeats, but it works.

Every call has its own peculiar rhythm, its own personality.  

I've had this call so long now, it'd be easier to change my name.

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: