Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Setting up Echolink on a Linksys Router  (Read 1204 times)
N8EUI

Ignore
« on: January 30, 2013, 07:21:59 AM »

Hello everyone,
I have a Linksys WRT54G router and I want to configure it for Echolink.  I've read the instructions on the Echolink website, but I'm still gun shy.  Will someone please tell me in detail how to do this?  Also, when I type in "ipconfig" to see what my IP address is, I get an IP address and a default gateway address that are identical except for two digits at the end.  What's the difference and which one should I be concerned about for configuring the router for Echolink?

Thanks,
Tom, N8EUI
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 08:51:14 AM »

The only ting you need to do is run the test mode in echolink. If it says that your don't have access to the two required ports, you will have to access the router internal settings. Most ports are blocked by default on routers, so you may have to set the ports to allow. There are only two 5598 and 5599 or something like that that. the numbers are in the Echo link docs.

It has nothing to do with your IP or gateway address, per se. It has to do with ports withing those addresses. It's called "port forwarding".
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 08:53:23 AM by AC2EU » Logged

K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 10:32:07 AM »

Tom, I found Port Forwarding to be confusing to set up on the WRT54G router.  I went out and replaced it with a Netgear WNDR3400 and found that it was extremely simple to set up Port Forwarding on it.  I did this not for Echolink, but for a number IP cameras installed around my home for weather observation and general surveillance.
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 12:03:53 PM »

I have a pfSense router. Anyone know how to add firewall rules in pfSense to allow Echolink?

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 09:04:28 AM »

EUI:  I too use the WRT54G router.  I eventually found how to allow port forwarding (after reading countless sets of instructions on how to do this).  I was still unable to use Echolink and was then told that port forwarding also had to be set up on my modem!

After a very long session trying to learn how to do this, which included talking to techies at Frontier.com, I gave it up.  Frontier had no idea what I was talking about. 

Eventually, the effort required to use Echolink became too much and I gave it up.

KD8GEH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 11:41:40 AM »

Hi Tom,

I didnt really have any issue settting it up with mine.  Read the port forwarding instructions here: http://www.echolink.org/firewall_solutions.htm print or write down type port type and number (UDP.tcpip etc)

Log into your router setup 192.168.1.1 (admin no pass or whatever u have as a uname & pass)

Read this and poke the right setup tab  Shocked  http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WRT54G/defaultguide.htm

Email me direct (my call at arrl dot com) if you need any more help. Just take your time and you should be fine.

GL and hope to hear you on HF or IRLP sometime.

73  DE  Dave KD8GEH
IRLP Node 8921 Troy Ohio
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 08:18:54 PM »

EUI:  I too use the WRT54G router.  I eventually found how to allow port forwarding (after reading countless sets of instructions on how to do this).  I was still unable to use Echolink and was then told that port forwarding also had to be set up on my modem!

After a very long session trying to learn how to do this, which included talking to techies at Frontier.com, I gave it up.  Frontier had no idea what I was talking about. 

Eventually, the effort required to use Echolink became too much and I gave it up.

Sometimes those "techies" know less about the equipment than you do!
What you may have is two firewalls in tandem. To simplify matters, you set the modem to "bridge mode which passes the unfettered  data with no firewall to the router. Use the router to set the firewall rules because at least you have an instruction manual for that device. ( no need to call India)
It's not that difficult once you understand what is going on with the stuff...

N8EUI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 05:31:33 AM »

Hey there everybody,
Thanks for the replies.  I'll dive into it this weekend and see what happens.  I may be making a mountain out of a molehill here.  We'll see.

Thanks again,
Tom, N8EUI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: