Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TZ6BB - Nice!  (Read 7346 times)
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 11:04:44 AM »

He had a decent signal on 40m last night and I did try.  No joy.

I couldn't hear a peep from him today on 10m.

When he QSY'ed to 15m I could hear him loud and clear.  TZ is an ATNO for me.

Jonathan W6GX
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 01:06:33 PM »

Got him today on 15 CW. Fernando is a very good CW Operator and hears very well!
KA1J

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 01:12:48 PM »

Got him today on 15 CW. Fernando is a very good CW Operator and hears very well!

I agree, I heard him today only faintly on 10 & he heard me! Same when he went to 15M, He is a 1st class CW op.

KA1J
N4KC

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 02:37:56 PM »

Was he ever spotted?  I didn't see it if he was...and I've regrettably become a slave to the almighty spot!

Did get ZD7N on 10 CW and 7X4RJ on 15 SSB today, both on the very first call and with 100 watts, so puny sunspots have not completely ruined all the upper reaches of the spectrum.

Don N4KC
www.n4kc.com
www.donkeith.com
(Author of the new book RIDING THE SHORTWAVES:
EXPLORING THE MAGIC OF AMATEUR RADIO)

NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 05:49:33 PM »

Was he ever spotted?  I didn't see it if he was...and I've regrettably become a slave to the almighty spot!

Did get ZD7N on 10 CW and 7X4RJ on 15 SSB today, both on the very first call and with 100 watts, so puny sunspots have not completely ruined all the upper reaches of the spectrum.

Don N4KC
www.n4kc.com
www.donkeith.com

He was spotted on 10 meters. 

I already have confirmation on LoTW.

Chris/NU1O
N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2013, 02:47:31 AM »

He's going to be a tough nut to crack from out here.  Very weak and always with a big NA or even bigger EU pile.

Heard him the loudest I've ever heard him on 15m tonight, 559 or so, but he got spotted.  Within two minutes he had a raging EU pileup on him and all hope was gone.  The "EU factor" strikes again... similar story with SV/A and lots of other stuff that's one-hop from EU.

-KH2/N2NL
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2013, 03:25:09 AM »

He's going to be a tough nut to crack from out here.  Very weak and always with a big NA or even bigger EU pile.

Heard him the loudest I've ever heard him on 15m tonight, 559 or so, but he got spotted.  Within two minutes he had a raging EU pileup on him and all hope was gone.  The "EU factor" strikes again... similar story with SV/A and lots of other stuff that's one-hop from EU.

-KH2/N2NL

TZ6BB is not a new DXer. He should be calling for regions which are very though to work, but open, when he has a wall from either Europe, the USA, or both at the same time.

Good luck working him.  Many could learn from the way you operate, Dave.

Dave, Can you please answer me a question?  I must have 1,000 QSL cards from Japan and they all have a JCC#.  Your QRZ page says you have JCC and JCG awards.

What exactly is a JCC# and where can I find out what the various awards are?  Also, what is a JCG award?  I have not come accross JCG numbers.

Chris/NU1O
Z21BB

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2013, 05:25:29 AM »

Thanks for all comments; they are really useful and / or encouraging.
My antenna is a nearly horizontal loop, slightly sloping from the terrace of my QTH down to the garden. The perimeter of the loop (an irregular polygon encompassing as much space as I could) is around 140m. The highest part of this polygon is some 30 feet over the ground, and the lowest is just about 10ft. I feed it through a remote SGC auto tuner.
I have noticed the loop shows some directivity towards the US, but I can't tell for sure. I haven't modeled it yet anyway. Signals from N and E usually come through consistently weaker, but of course I need to keep on testing and trying to figure how this antenna really works. Time is a limitation; I don't really have much spare time.
The rig is a Kenwood TS590, which is a very fine receiver, and I am just using 100W. I have a beam I haven't put up yet, and I am also bringing in a vertical for 40 and 80 next time I get some leave. 160 is going to be a challenge. No high trees around, and no space for decent RX antennas for the top band, but I will do my best anyway.
I don't know how long I will stay here. I work in the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UN OCHA) and things in Mali are tough in that respect as you can imagine. Security is a big concern, so everyone is keeping the head more or less low and living with a degree of anxiety, but Bamako feels safe. Life here is pretty much normal, and the city is otherwise one of the most interesting places on planet Earth to live in. It is very beautiful too; the views over the Niger river I have from the window of my shack are just stunning (the house is partially built on the river). Check out the link below to see what I mean.
There are other hams in Bamako, such as my friend Hamadoun TZ6HY, but they are not very active these days. And authorities are just not issuing new licenses (you may know that the state of exception was officially declared in Mali a few weeks ago in light of the present situation and has not been lifted yet). In that sense I was very privileged to be given a license, but the authorities let me know very clearly when they gave it to me they were making a very "exceptional exception". It took some trying to get it, too.

I confirm through LoTW, or through W3HNK for the real thing. As you probably know Joe is about the best QSL manager that there is, and he tells me the cards will be out of the print within a week or so.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8324/8438229006_635a0e0916.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8230/8438228876_824ff89edb.jpg

Thanks for your patience in the pile up. I am looking forward to working everyone out there

Best regards from Mali, and 73

Fernando
TZ6BB (aka EA4BB)
ex Z21BB, ST2BF, D2BB, TU5JL, 9Q5BB
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 06:05:42 AM by Z21BB » Logged
N4KC

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2013, 05:37:53 AM »

Fernando:

Thank you so much for taking the time to join in this discussion.  And for using LoTW as well.

You had a good signal last evening on 20 CW.  I was in the pile-up but did not work you though you were doing a great job pulling them out.

Be safe out there! 

Don N4KC
www.n4kc.com
www.donkeith.com

W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2013, 09:56:55 AM »

Dear Fernando,

Thank you for the update.  This info. is much appreciated.  You are doing a fantastic job in light of your equipment limitations and work obligations.  The DX community here is very grateful for what you do.  Stay safe and best wishes.

Jonathan W6GX
KA1J

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2013, 10:21:33 AM »

Hi Fernando,

I really appreciate not only the Q's we have made with which is for me an ATNO, but I appreciate how you make the Q's; friendly and with efficiency. Additionally, you have very good ears to pick out signals as well as you do, it's an art and you've been working hard to get it right & you have succeeded.

Gary
KA1J
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2013, 08:56:15 PM »

Paul,
What time did you work him ? 

Bob
K6UJ
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2013, 09:17:39 PM »

Fernando, thanks for QSO's from several callsigns with BB (3V8, Z21, TZ6).  You are very FB, OM!  You shold write an article for QST, "How to run an effective DXpedition without KW and without yagis"
K0AP

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2013, 11:20:57 PM »

Thanks for all comments; they are really useful and / or encouraging.
My antenna is a nearly horizontal loop, slightly sloping from the terrace of my QTH down to the garden. The perimeter of the loop (an irregular polygon encompassing as much space as I could) is around 140m. The highest part of this polygon is some 30 feet over the ground, and the lowest is just about 10ft. I feed it through a remote SGC auto tuner.
I have noticed the loop shows some directivity towards the US, but I can't tell for sure. I haven't modeled it yet anyway. Signals from N and E usually come through consistently weaker, but of course I need to keep on testing and trying to figure how this antenna really works. Time is a limitation; I don't really have much spare time.
The rig is a Kenwood TS590, which is a very fine receiver, and I am just using 100W. I have a beam I haven't put up yet, and I am also bringing in a vertical for 40 and 80 next time I get some leave. 160 is going to be a challenge. No high trees around, and no space for decent RX antennas for the top band, but I will do my best anyway.
I don't know how long I will stay here. I work in the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UN OCHA) and things in Mali are tough in that respect as you can imagine. Security is a big concern, so everyone is keeping the head more or less low and living with a degree of anxiety, but Bamako feels safe. Life here is pretty much normal, and the city is otherwise one of the most interesting places on planet Earth to live in. It is very beautiful too; the views over the Niger river I have from the window of my shack are just stunning (the house is partially built on the river). Check out the link below to see what I mean.
There are other hams in Bamako, such as my friend Hamadoun TZ6HY, but they are not very active these days. And authorities are just not issuing new licenses (you may know that the state of exception was officially declared in Mali a few weeks ago in light of the present situation and has not been lifted yet). In that sense I was very privileged to be given a license, but the authorities let me know very clearly when they gave it to me they were making a very "exceptional exception". It took some trying to get it, too.

I confirm through LoTW, or through W3HNK for the real thing. As you probably know Joe is about the best QSL manager that there is, and he tells me the cards will be out of the print within a week or so.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8324/8438229006_635a0e0916.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8230/8438228876_824ff89edb.jpg

Thanks for your patience in the pile up. I am looking forward to working everyone out there

Best regards from Mali, and 73

Fernando
TZ6BB (aka EA4BB)
ex Z21BB, ST2BF, D2BB, TU5JL, 9Q5BB

Fernando,
you are a true amateur radio ambassador. Thank you for being there for us. We certainly need more people like you in HAM radio.

73 Dragan K0AP, Z32XX
K0AP

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2013, 11:22:31 PM »

Mr.Tom
Ravensbergerstr.55,
32312 Luebbecke,
GERMANY

I used the same address and did eventually receive my card.

When this was briefly posted on QRZ.com I believe Tom indicated that he needed $3USD plus an SAE
for a return card.  Given increases in postage rates I might consider including at least $4USD.

GL de harry, W6DXO

Thank you W5RDW and W6DXO.

73 Dragan K0AP
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: