Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to properly join in a QSO on HF...  (Read 3744 times)
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 12:06:58 AM »

I used to have a 75 meter dipole strung up pretty high in a tree. It came down in a bad storm and I never bothered to put it back up because I never really used it. My experience has been much the same as others have said.  It's like 75 meters is a group of private clubs.  I don't how you become a "regular" in any of them because they don't seem to be very accepting. I'm not a new guy either, I've been in the hobby for 35 years now. I think of the HF ham bands as 160 meters and then 40-10. 75/80 meters doesn't exist in my mind. I wish that was different but it is what it is.
Michael, W4HIJ
AE5QB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 02:34:33 AM »

Maybe if more of us starting calling CQ on 75/80 and talking nicely to those who respond, the band could be changed into a worthwhile destination for others.  Give it a try.  How about a national "bring 75 alive" day?
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 07:35:39 AM »

Maybe if more of us starting calling CQ on 75/80 and talking nicely to those who respond, the band could be changed into a worthwhile destination for others.  Give it a try.  How about a national "bring 75 alive" day?

You would just get run off the frequency by one the many private clubs that think they own frequencies up there. Some of these guys are entertaining to listen to but there's no way I've found to join their club. Others I would not want to talk to anyway. I'll stick with 40-10 and maybe try 160 someday if I can ever get an antenna up.
W4HIJ
N8NSN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 09:25:57 AM »

Go AM ! Friendliest bunches on 40 and 75 meters.
Be ready for flack from the SSB folks whom become very annoyed with the die hard AMers staying relatively close to 7285<7295 and 3880<3890.  Or simplify to CW and become annoyed when the digi-monkeys become intrusive to the "agreed upon" QRP frequencies like they have taken over the 7038-7043 area. Yes, I'm very annoyed by this cause most of my 40 meter rocks are in that segment. So, we QRP enthusiasts move to 7028 to 7033, trying to be gentlemen about it and these same dimwit, newby, why bother with learning the code or giving a squeeze whom we tick off or what segment we overtake since code is "not necessary"... Or perhaps just doing these things to feel whatever sense of "intellect" they get... I digress, straying from point- or perhaps not... The bands, just like any other hobbies or groups, IMHO are all becoming inundated with self serving, entitlement mentality, i deserve a trophy even though i i contribute little or nothing to the team - because my mommy and GOV say it's now law ...thinking patterns... Yadda yadda yadda

End of rant.
TY TYVM
N8NSN

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 09:37:43 AM »

And it's safe to say - what ever groups, even we QRPers, the 75 meters cliques, and so on do as well, have every right to feel a bit annoyed when "their club hang outs from YEARS ago DECADES ago, are are encroached upon by newbs that have slack protocol of procedures licensing grants. Because their laws and mommies said they too can have a trophy, though they bring few usable skills to the club team. Sure, these encroachers may be authorities on the subject, but they lack the social skills taught in years past of observing the group, humbly make aware the group of your interest and presence in the ring, and wait WAIT. Don't blurt out in class and disrupt others being in there- and then whine when the ruler crosses your knuckles, go home tell your mommy, and threaten that your popps is going to whoop their popps can.

Lord I LOVE this web site & it's forums.

Now go out there and have fun to a greater degree by "getting" what you're getting in to.
W8MW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2013, 10:01:51 AM »

Particularly on 75m, the groups talk for longer periods, and part of the courtesy and camaraderie is sticking around and developing the relationships, rather than making a drive-bye comment.

That's an astute comment from someone who obviously understands 75 meters.  Following a rough start in the beginning that had me repulsed like some of the guys here, it became my favorite band.  But only for the past 51 years.  It's a strange duck of a band, unlike any other.  The primary inhabitants are not contesters or dxers or county hunters or number chasers.  It's rag chewers and to a large extent, friends who value spending time with each other. 

If your idea of hamming is to have brief encounters with strangers you'll never hear again, this is not your band.  Repeat contacts and the ensuing familiarity with each other establish a social dynamic you'll either find forever rewarding or too much of a good old boy network. 

But if you would seriously like to give it a try here are my suggestions.  First do everything you can to put up a decent antenna that will let you be comfortably heard.  The ragchewers don't want to hear weak signals and will only tolerate it so long.  Second, plan on doing a lot of listening before you try to jump into a group.  It's best if you take the time to actually learn some names and call signs.  I think your chances of being welcomed in are much better if you get personal from the get-go.  Something like:  "Hey Joe, that same thing happened to me, W8MW".

I tried to help innocent operators some years back with a 75 Meter article here on eHam.  Please check it out:

http://www.eham.net/articles/2189

73 Mike
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2013, 02:21:26 PM »

How can you stick around and develop friendships when you are rudely booted out the door the first time you dare to say hi? As I said, I'm no newbie to this hobby, been at it 35 years and my operating procedures and courtesy are not "slack" by any means. It's darn near impossible to join in with most of these guys. I tried. Of course if anyone has the attitude of N8NSN, who would want to talk to them?  Digi monkeys??? Roll Eyes
Michael, W4HIJ
N8NSN

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2013, 03:01:14 PM »

How can you stick around and develop friendships when you are rudely booted out the door the first time you dare to say hi? As I said, I'm no newbie to this hobby, been at it 35 years and my operating procedures and courtesy are not "slack" by any means. It's darn near impossible to join in with most of these guys. I tried. Of course if anyone has the attitude of N8NSN, who would want to talk to them?  Digi monkeys??? Roll Eyes
Michael, W4HIJ

Obviously, if you've found after 35 years that you have problems with 75 meters... Slach protocol procedural misunderstandings must not be limited to the newer licensees - as was the point. Only 75 meter stuff I do is DXing on CW, infrequently drop in to test a few projects on AM phone, and say hello to an old friend or two in a couple SSB phone groups frequented some years ago.

And yes, digi-monkeys is a term of endearment to the dumb bells that will repeadedly QRM a Cw Segment frequency with statements suggestive that they're fully aware they're transmitting RTTY in a gentlemens agreement "band plan", but choose to do so anyway because they can.

Why would I explain myself to someone who apparently didn't understand the first statements? Well, after your 35 years you should've gotten it the first time. Why you want to take a poke at me personally and suggest "whom would want to talk to me"... Is suggestive that you're not getting it... Has your 35 years been less than you wanted it to be? I'd guess -yes...

None of my commentary was directed toward you and your 35 years to begin with. Arrogant much?

fin
N8NSN

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2013, 03:30:47 PM »

Went and read Mike's article from 01, remembered it just a few sentences in... Twas as funny this time through as twas back then. I don't think I've ever worked Mike before, don't care if I do or don't... Would be glad to, none the less. Sounds like a humorous kind of person.

"Nikola, you simply don't understand our American humor."

BAD Eddison, bad, bad, bad... Shame on you !
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2013, 04:13:53 PM »

The people on this post seam to worry about to much. Remember no one or group has a lock on any ham band. If you are a licensed ham radio operator you can use any band that your license allows, and no one can as they say through you off the band, or try to tell you a frequency is exclusive. If I want to use 75/80 meters, I do it the same way I do any band. I listen to the frequency I wish to use for about two minutes. I then transmit my call and ask if the frequency is in use. If there is no reply I transmit my CQ. If someone comes on and indicates the frequency is in use I inquire why there is no activity. If the person indicates that this frequency is reserved for some net or future QSO, I say no it is not. I then transmit my CQ ignoring the jerk. I have had a ham lid me with a Carrier during my break for listening. I ignore him and continue doing my thing. If he continues, I switch on my full power liner and continue. Most of these jerks get the message and leave. This scenario is very rare to me as 99% of the time I have no problem on 75/80 meters. I have been a ham operator for 50+ years, and I still love to make contact with hams of all ages. With the old hams I can talk old time radios. With the new or young hams I can talk new high tech. radios. It seams there is always something to learn.

This is just my opinion.

73s

K2OWK
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2013, 04:36:58 PM »

This thread is taking on the tone of certain segments the 75 meter band!  Grin

W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2013, 05:53:17 PM »

Michael, W4HIJ

Obviously, if you've found after 35 years that you have problems with 75 meters... Slach protocol procedural misunderstandings must not be limited to the newer licensees - as was the point. Only 75 meter stuff I do is DXing on CW, infrequently drop in to test a few projects on AM phone, and say hello to an old friend or two in a couple SSB phone groups frequented some years ago.

And yes, digi-monkeys is a term of endearment to the dumb bells that will repeadedly QRM a Cw Segment frequency with statements suggestive that they're fully aware they're transmitting RTTY in a gentlemens agreement "band plan", but choose to do so anyway because they can.

Why would I explain myself to someone who apparently didn't understand the first statements? Well, after your 35 years you should've gotten it the first time. Why you want to take a poke at me personally and suggest "whom would want to talk to me"... Is suggestive that you're not getting it... Has your 35 years been less than you wanted it to be? I'd guess -yes...

None of my commentary was directed toward you and your 35 years to begin with. Arrogant much?

fin
In 35 years, I've enjoyed ham radio immensely in spite of the presence of people like you. Protocol and operating practices have nothing to do with anything when you encounter downright rude people on the air. That was my point. You're calling me arrogant?  Hunh....that's funny coming from you.... I've done just about everything there is to do in ham radio on just about every band there is to do it on CW, Phone, Digital, SSTV, Satellites etc.  I just never had much luck getting into the cliques on 75 meters and I said so. Obviously from the myriad of responses similar to mine on this thread, it's not a rare problem and it's not necessarily based on the experience level of the operator. BTW, there is plenty of room on the bands for CW, you need to get over it. I've never had an issue finding a place to operate CW.  There are a lot of new exciting digital modes that have much to offer especially to QRP ops. Maybe you should try one and broaden your horizons a bit. You might actually learn something. On the other hand you could just continue to act like a bitter little child and continue calling folks names. It's your choice and I really could care less.
Have a nice life and 73,
Michael, W4HIJ
N8NSN

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2013, 12:45:20 AM »

[/quote]
 In 35 years, I've enjoyed ham radio immensely in spite of the presence of people like  BTW, there is plenty of room on the bands for CW, you need to get over it. I've never had an issue finding a place to operate CW.  There are a lot of new exciting digital modes that have much to offer especially to QRP ops. Maybe you should try one and broaden your horizons a bit. You might actually learn something.
Michael, W4HIJ
[/quote]

I enjoy the digital modes very much. Go back & read what I said one more time. You're still not getting it... YES there is plenty of room for CW. Matter of fact the "rules" or band plan suggest an operator can run CW any band, any where... PROTOCOL and gentleman's agreements have CW in our segments, of which under 025 are where most would find the least encroachments of "any other modes". Go on Mike, have your last word. You know exactly what I've said in each of these comments. You know it's all true, but you just HAVE to try and make yourself look like you're "better" or kinder, maybe passive aggressive- or what ever the thing is you're going for. Maybe you're the jerk whom is on RTTY sending out "CQ" forty times in a steady stream of QRM every morning at 7028... Is that you Mike? The guy NEVER id's with his send.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2013, 05:55:42 AM »

Go AM ! Friendliest bunches on 40 and 75 meters.
Be ready for flack from the SSB folks whom become very annoyed with the die hard AMers staying relatively close to 7285<7295 and 3880<3890.  Or simplify to CW and become annoyed when the digi-monkeys become intrusive to the "agreed upon" QRP frequencies like they have taken over the 7038-7043 area. Yes, I'm very annoyed by this cause most of my 40 meter rocks are in that segment. So, we QRP enthusiasts move to 7028 to 7033, trying to be gentlemen about it and these same dimwit, newby, why bother with learning the code or giving a squeeze whom we tick off or what segment we overtake since code is "not necessary"... Or perhaps just doing these things to feel whatever sense of "intellect" they get... I digress, straying from point- or perhaps not... The bands, just like any other hobbies or groups, IMHO are all becoming inundated with self serving, entitlement mentality, i deserve a trophy even though i i contribute little or nothing to the team - because my mommy and GOV say it's now law ...thinking patterns... Yadda yadda yadda

End of rant.
TY TYVM

A rant that makes no sense at all. You seem to forget that you were a dimwit newbie at one time.

I have never had any problems joining in on a QSO that I wanted to join in on. I simply key down and say VE3FMC. Then wait to be acknowledged by someone else in that group. If no one acknowledges me then guess what, I don't want to talk to them as they are stuck up asses.
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2013, 09:02:57 AM »

I enjoy the digital modes very much. Go back & read what I said one more time. You're still not getting it... YES there is plenty of room for CW. Matter of fact the "rules" or band plan suggest an operator can run CW any band, any where... PROTOCOL and gentleman's agreements have CW in our segments, of which under 025 are where most would find the least encroachments of "any other modes". Go on Mike, have your last word. You know exactly what I've said in each of these comments. You know it's all true, but you just HAVE to try and make yourself look like you're "better" or kinder, maybe passive aggressive- or what ever the thing is you're going for. Maybe you're the jerk whom is on RTTY sending out "CQ" forty times in a steady stream of QRM every morning at 7028... Is that you Mike? The guy NEVER id's with his send.
It's not about having the last word. Again, that's just a childish attitude. You came on here with rambling post ranting about newbies and whoever else you deemed to be lesser to you, spewing hate and vitriol towards all and then you called names.  When I made a comment about it, you then took to attacking me, suggesting that I had bad operating practices, suggesting I would deliberately QRM someone and then calling me names. The point of my first comment regarding you still remains, if you act as childish and self superior on the air as you do here, I don't know why anyone would want to talk to you. FWIW I've never operated RTTY and believe it or not I can identify with what you go through with QRM.  I've experienced the same thing on 20 meters while operating JT-65. RTTY stations fire right up on top of everybody. Still, I just let it go, I don't go around calling people derisive names. Gentleman's agreement or not, no one owns any one portion of the bands and people are going to infringe upon one another from time to time and sometimes deliberately QRM. Still no reason to go around referring to a whole group of operators as " monkeys" based on the actions of a few misguided people. I have neither the time nor the inclination to argue this further so whatever nonsense you want to ramble on about next go for it.
Michael
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: