Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just wondering...  (Read 5661 times)
WN2C

Ignore
« on: January 31, 2013, 05:57:07 PM »

Can anyone tell me what speed code tests I passed for my license class.  Did I pass the 20 wpm or maybe just 5 or none at all?  It seems that the debate over Coded / No code Extras is still raging on and I was curious if some how the info is out there some where.  I know I have held every class license there is (or was).

Rick  wn2c

I know... just wondering if anybody else can tell.
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 07:28:02 PM »

It would depend on the year you first upgraded to Extra as to what speed you passed if any and I'm not sure that's public record. It could be.
Michael, W4HIJ
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 07:54:54 PM »

Well, when you lived in NJ back in the 1980s, you had a Tech class ticket, which means you passed at least 5 WPM.
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 06:10:26 AM »

It would depend on the year you first upgraded to Extra as to what speed you passed if any and I'm not sure that's public record. It could be.
Michael, W4HIJ

I know what code speed I passed when it was required.  Just wondering if any one can tell me which it it was.  This has to do with the No Code Extra debate that still rages on.
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 06:11:42 AM »

Well, when you lived in NJ back in the 1980s, you had a Tech class ticket, which means you passed at least 5 WPM.

I did not hold a Tech class when I lived in NJ.
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 06:59:27 AM »

According to QRZ's old callsign listing, K2DLZ was issued (or renewed) to you as a Tech while you lived on Western Ave in Butler NJ in April 1984.

Callsign: K2DLZ    Class: Technician
Name: HARRY W WILLIS  
Effective: 20 Apr 1984  
Expires: 20 Apr 1994  
Address: 20 WESTERN AVE  
City/State: BUTLER NJ 07405  

Since this is from QRZ's 1993 CD, the conclusion is that you were still listed by the FCC as a Tech with a NJ address as of the press date of the CD.

The FCC ULS only shows the Tempe AZ address since 1998, so the gap between 1993 and 1998 can only be filled using paper callbooks. But that would only resolve when you upgraded from Tech and when you moved from NJ to AZ (and anywhere else in between).

So here's what I come up with:

1. The pre-1985 Tech conclusively proves at least 5 wpm.
2. The Extra upgrade doesn't appear until July 2000, so you would NOT have done 20 wpm.
3. The 1998 ULS listing for an Advanced license says you either did 13 wpm or got a medical waiver.
4. Since your upgrade to General (or Advanced) didn't occur until after the medical waivers were available (circa 1990), there is no way to prove from public records whether or not you did 13 wpm.

How'd I do?

Steve
W3HF
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 07:12:14 AM by W3HF » Logged
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 07:07:22 AM »

Michael, W4HIJ

I know what code speed I passed when it was required.  Just wondering if any one can tell me which it it was.  This has to do with the No Code Extra debate that still rages on.
I understand. My point was that if someone can look up on what date you passed what element then they could deduce what speed you had to pass.  I was a Technician  who had credit for the General class written but not 13wpm. You used to upgrade from Novice to Technician by passing the General class written exam. When the code speed was lowered to 5wpm overall, I was grandfathered into being a General class simply by presenting my original CSCE at an exam session and paying the fee. If it's possible to look up the date of my upgrade from Tech to General then people would easily be able to deduce that I'm a 5 WPM General. I imagine it is since, someone I had a difference of opinion with on this site found that information out and then used it as a basis to derisively attack me. Ridiculous but true.....
Michael, W4HIJ
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 07:17:40 AM »

According to QRZ's old callsign listing, K2DLZ was issued (or renewed) to you as a Tech while you lived on Western Ave in Butler NJ in April 1984.

Since this is from QRZ's 1993 CD, the conclusion is that you were still listed by the FCC as a Tech with a NJ address as of the press date of the CD.

The FCC ULS only shows the Tempe AZ address since 1998, so the gap between 1993 and 1998 can only be filled using paper callbooks. But that would only resolve when you upgraded from Tech and when you moved from NJ to AZ (and anywhere else in between).

2. The Extra upgrade doesn't appear until July 2000, so you would NOT have done 20 wpm.
3. The 1998 ULS listing for an Advanced license says you either did 13 wpm or got a medical waiver.
4. Since your upgrade to General (or Advanced) didn't occur until after the medical waivers were availalbe (circa 1990), there is no way to prove from public records whether or not you did 13 wpm.

How'd I do?

Steve
W3HF
I appears to be entirely possible to deduce what someone had to pass.  I guess this same method could have been used to deduce that I'm a 5WPM General if I had not already told everyone. BTW, I'm by no means an avid CW op but I do it as an occasional change of pace and I could pass 13wpm today if I had to.  But, back when I upgraded to Tech by passing the General written, I was into VHF/UHF experimentation and didn't care about HF all that much so I didn't take the time to pursue increasing my code speed at that point.
Michael, W4HIJ
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 07:50:59 AM »

4. Since your upgrade to General (or Advanced) didn't occur until after the medical waivers were available (circa 1990), there is no way to prove from public records whether or not you did 13 wpm.

How'd I do?

Steve
W3HF

Steve, your were close, but no cigar.  This listing is for my Dad who held the call before I did.  I picked it up in 96' after he had passed away.  Steve, how do you know that I didn't pass the 20 wpm and get a csce for that and then have to take the written?  Yes, by the time time it posted the code was no longer necessary...but??  As far as the medical waiver, I did say that I held every license class there was.  And Michael, I agree that there is too much of this "you didn't pass the ___ wpm for your license class so you are not as good as me attitude" going on.
My whole point is that there is no difference whether I passed the code test or not as it only takes away from me (not doing CW) and no one else.  So any more guesses?  Or maybe some where the info is located that can tell the definitive truth. 

Rick  wn2c
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 08:13:01 AM »

Steve, your were close, but no cigar.  This listing is for my Dad who held the call before I did.  I picked it up in 96' after he had passed away.  
Dang, I missed the change in middle initial. Sorry about that; I was rushing.
Steve, how do you know that I didn't pass the 20 wpm and get a csce for that and then have to take the written?  Yes, by the time time it posted the code was no longer necessary...but??  
No one can determine that, which I'm sure is your point. But if that were the case, you really would not have received credit for it with the FCC which is the way I interpreted "what code test did I pass for my license class." If you had just said "what code test did I pass?", you would have been asking a more general question than "what code test did the FCC credit me with?"
As far as the medical waiver, I did say that I held every license class there was.  
As N2EY points out, you could have used the medical waiver for every license class above Tech. So the only thing definitive is the 5 wpm.
 So any more guesses?  Or maybe some where the info is located that can tell the definitive truth.  

Rick  wn2c

The "problem" is that your relevant license transactions occurred before the ULS was tracking things. So I actually can't see using that tool what your call was prior to K2DLZ.

But VanityHQ's Unique Call Lookup comes to the rescue and reveals KC7RKK, which turned into K2DLZ by 1997 while still a Tech (or maybe Tech+). There's no record of a General license there, so it must have been quick. And again, since your upgrade to General/Advanced processed after medical waivers were availalble, we can't tell if you passed 13 wpm or used a medical waiver to skip it.

So my conclusion stands. Only 5 wpm is definitive. 13 wpm may be likely but can't be proved because of medical waivers. The same is true for 20 wpm, though arguably the FCC never credited you with a license that required it.

And for the record, I agree completely with your position.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 08:15:06 AM by W3HF » Logged
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 08:43:27 AM »

OK, so we all know that I passed a 5 wpm at some time.  Actually that was in 73' or 74' I think when I got my Novice.  Was out for a while and then came back in (re-licensed in 96) w/ kc7rkk.  Then picked up my Dad's call in December 96, first gate for deceased relatives.
So if you can't tell definitively at which speed I passed what wpm for what license, then why in H E double tooth picks is there all this animosity from some of those who did pass the 20 wpm (or at least say they did) code?  What are they trying to prove?  My Extra is better than yours cause I passed the 20 wpm?  I don' think so!! 
OK I'll let my rant go... it just galls me when I see on these threads some of the stuff I read about NO CODE EXTRAS.

Well we do know one thing...every one who has held a Novice class license did pass 5 wpm!! The Tech...not so sure...

Rick  wn2c
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 11:06:38 AM »

OK, so we all know that I passed a 5 wpm at some time.  Actually that was in 73' or 74' I think when I got my Novice.  Was out for a while and then came back in (re-licensed in 96) w/ kc7rkk.  Then picked up my Dad's call in December 96, first gate for deceased relatives.
So if you can't tell definitively at which speed I passed what wpm for what license, then why in H E double tooth picks is there all this animosity from some of those who did pass the 20 wpm (or at least say they did) code?  What are they trying to prove?  My Extra is better than yours cause I passed the 20 wpm?  I don' think so!! 
OK I'll let my rant go... it just galls me when I see on these threads some of the stuff I read about NO CODE EXTRAS.

Well we do know one thing...every one who has held a Novice class license did pass 5 wpm!! The Tech...not so sure...

Rick  wn2c

Some hams are going to disrespect codeless Extras no matter how well you argue to the contrary.  As a wise person once said, you can't reason someone out of something they didn't reason themselves into.

Here's something that's puzzled me since the advent of the Internet:  In real life, if we see someone mumbling nonsense on a street corner, we give them a wide berth.  On the Internet, if we find someone mumbling nonsense on a forum, we try to reason with them.  Why waste your time?
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 12:45:13 PM »

So tell me....

what elements did I have to pass?

73 de Jim, N2EY
N3DF

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 01:30:21 PM »

I knew a bunch of 1960s and 1970s Technicians who didn't know A from B in code.  Knew a bunch of Conditionals who were the same. 

Neil N3DF
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 06:23:28 PM »

Jim, if I am not mistaken you are an O T and as such you passed (most likely) all the elements required from Novice to Extra including the code.

Rick  wn2c
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: