Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 160 meter Beverage antennas  (Read 3894 times)
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 09:41:05 AM »

I am shocked at how well the short 500 and 580 foot Beverage work.  ...  But after 3 seasons on top band I am convinced my station is NOT balanced. I must get a Amp !

That's because switching to your Beverage is like the other station (that you're trying to copy) after he's just switched on a big linear amplifier. It often gives that much of an improvement. Listening on the Beverages often requires that I run my amplifier to make stations hear me that can only be copied on the Beverage antennas.

If you think they work good on 160, you should try them on 80 and 40!

And that's also my situation (unbalanced) on 160 (I only have 100 watts on 160m). I can hear a lot more weak DX than I can work there. But we're working on it.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 09:48:51 AM by W0BTU » Logged

K4JK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 10:22:01 AM »

Does anyone have any experience with a beverage located in or over a large gulley?

I am thinking of buying a piece of property with great takeoffs all around, but it will be hard to put a beverage in some directions because of a large gulley. The gulley (it is more of a "hollow" I suppose) drops off up to 100 feet in some places. Is it better to try to run the wire down into the gulley and back up the other side, or just to span much of the wire over the gulley and keep it level?

I have read things here and there about how beverages still work well over smaller gulleys but I'm not sure about something that big. It may be one of those "try it and see" things.  Smiley

ex W4HFK
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 11:01:08 AM »

The gulley (it is more of a "hollow" I suppose) drops off up to 100 feet in some places. Is it better to try to run the wire down into the gulley and back up the other side, or just to span much of the wire over the gulley and keep it level?

Unless the gully is narrow (how wide is it?), it's better to follow the ground. That keeps the Z of the wire to ground constant.

K4JK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 11:35:54 AM »

Unless the gully is narrow (how wide is it?), it's better to follow the ground. That keeps the Z of the wire to ground constant.
I suspected as much. As to your question, it is pretty wide. The topo maps suggest it is anywhere from 200 - 500 feet wide depending on the place, with varying depths.

ex W4HFK
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2013, 04:22:04 AM »

Another Question:   Can I get away with bending the Beverage 30-45 degrees without losing directivity and F/B?   i.e. how straight is straight when it comes to a Beverage?

I can go 500 ft max but in order to put up two, Id have to bend one.  Sudden bend? or gradual curve? Does it make a difference?
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2013, 12:15:49 PM »

I have a 15 degree bend in one of mine. Still works great.

If I had the choice of no Beverage vs. one with a 30+ degree bend, I'd put it up.

If I had time, I'd model it for you. If someone else wants to model it, there are EZNEC Beverage antenna models in the files section of my web site. http://www.w0btu.com/files/antenna/EZNEC/

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: