Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Inherited' SB220 to be sold on  (Read 1854 times)
GM6WCF

Ignore
« on: February 02, 2013, 07:27:04 AM »

I have 'inherited' a SB220. Superficially it is in great condition. Given that it is not legal to put out > 400W in the UK I suspect that it has been much underused. It possibly may not have been used at all. I'm told that the 'ham' who owned it had a reputation for buying and building things that he never used. (His son has inherited the trait). A 'peek' into the back shows no dust or dirt on the fan.
My intention is to offer on Ebay with Worldwide shipping in the start price. As you may well imagine the shipping cost will be a lot. Say $275, that price should cover the whole of North America.

What I would like to know is. Will a start price of say $325 rule it out as a sale? Is there anything I can check re its serviceability considering I do not have the knowhow or licence to actually use it? If I open it what should I look for to assess the quality of the build? If it is sold to the USA whence it came can I get assistance from Eham to ensure safe packing, carriage and insurance?

I think it is fair to assume that GM3XIJ did build the amp. because with the build instructions I found the guarantee leaflets for the tubes.
This item could eventually appear on Ebay, some of his equipment is presently listed with access from Ebay US and Canada. Search for GM3XIJ or contact me at daveincaol@hotmail.com

Dave B

Decidophobic - Formophobic - Xenophobic. All of which make it very difficult to start a new topic that will be read and likely commented on by Elmers of grouchy inclination.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 08:08:47 AM »

Dave B:  You might want to consider selling it 'in country' for more profit and ease of disposal.  The SB-220 in excellent shape brings over $500US.  However, with the $275 shipping all bets are off.

You also must consider that the power transformer and tubes should be removed and shipped separately.  The reason for this is the transformer with its massive weight will in all probability bend the chassis considerably during shipping. 

The tubes should be packed and shipped separately because of inertia stresses on the tube pins during shipment if left in the sockets.

Dave, the fact that power in excess of 400w is illegal in the UK should be of no concern to you.  If you sell 'in country' that responsiblity falls with the buyer.  The amp and tubes should last many years running at this low power.  (Selling point -  Wink  )
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 09:03:18 AM »

If you do not have experience packing heavier fragile items, please sell locally.

Less hassle, no shipping expense.

Local clubs may have e-mail lists that a member could post an ad on.

I know when I went looking for a used amp... I specifically sought out what local club members had.
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 06:10:53 PM »

The last SB220 that sold on eBay went for $710.

Consult your local ham club. They can test its function without transmitting a signal, as well as advise on packing it. It will be much more valuable if you can add those magic words, "tested, working."

Cordially,
-Steve WX2S.

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 10:16:48 AM »

I'd sell it locally--it cost so much to get that valuable heavy transformer there--it makes little sense to spend a lot of money to send it someplace else, when there are undoubtedly a number of hams who would love give decent money to have it.

Plus, you won't run into issues like someone giving you a hard time because they can't figure out how it is wired--while a local can just plug it in and use it.  AC wiring is not standardized internationally. Wink

Zack Lau W1VT
GM6WCF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 01:12:55 PM »

Thank you for all the replies. I have taken the advice on board. I've just sold several items of Ham kit on EBay.
My method is to incorporate the carriage costs into the listing price and ensure that this is highlighted. Two of the items went to the USA and another to Italy. The three UK buyers received a discount on postage.

Concerning carriage costs as indicated by K8XAY IE $275. Can I assume that you are relying on the 'Autopost' calculation on EBay US?

I do know that the estimated cost of carriage from auction sellers on EBay US means I only buy 'Buy it Now' sparingly and only when the postage is fixed. The quote I have received from a DHL associate for 35kilos (84lbs) collected from my home for delivery to Anchorage 99501 is $152 so somebody somewhere is doing some 'ripping off'.

I've sent an email to my 'local' club who are some 130 miles asking for access and assistance with testing and with the promise of a donation to club funds. We will see. The items will be 'PAT' tested by someone certified to do that. (Another selling point).
I don't think there is an obligation to the PAT test for equipment sold privately, but I feel it necessary for equipment that is home built and that is potentially lethal.

I have some experience in packing heavy items, and intend to liaise with the eventual buyer. I think that the linear amp will need a custom built crate and custom made internal packing to prevent any movement of the internals during transit. The tubes would likely be repackaged within the chassis and surrounded by shock absorbent material.

These precautions will have to be taken even if is delivered 'locally'. Its very likely to travel up to 800 miles by road. Which will be more 'stress' that 4000 miles of air transport.

Again thanks for the advice and tips. Any more comments and ideas will be well received.

Decidophobic - Formophobic - Xenophobic. All of which make it very difficult to start a new topic that will be read and likely commented on by Elmers of grouchy inclination.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: