The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2K HF Radio?  (Read 887 times)
K4NMO

Ignore
« on: July 26, 2015, 05:52:43 PM »

I am looking to get a new/newer HF radio. I'm mostly a voice amateur and have about $2000 to spend.

Any suggestions on what to buy?  I was looking at a Yaesu FTDX-1200. But fear a new model is on the horizon.

Thanks for the group's ideas. 
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 08:23:50 PM »

But fear a new model is on the horizon.
You could say that about almost any HF rig that has been around for a few years.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 02:17:37 AM »

If you get the new model that's just come out, you may well get one from the early batch with problems. If you wait six months or a year to get around that, you could be in midlife and a new radio is going to be out in anything from 6 to 24 months or maybe more. If you keep waiting, the cycle repeats. If you get a radio at the end of the product life cycle, you have to worry about for how much longer you can get it serviced...You just can't win in the long term!

So I have a 32 year old radio I can service myself......
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 04:13:15 AM »

I am looking to get a new/newer HF radio. I'm mostly a voice amateur and have about $2000 to spend.

Any suggestions on what to buy? 

No need to spend $2K.
Go for a Kenwood TS-590SG for around $1600:
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/1590.html

Put the rest into antenna improvements.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 10:32:59 AM »

Any suggestions on what to buy? 

No need to spend $2K.
Go for a Kenwood TS-590SG for around $1600:
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/1590.html

Put the rest into antenna improvements.

I know that in my area ham radio towers often pop up for a few hundred bucks, leaving you plenty of money for yagis.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 05:20:09 PM »

Definitely what KS2G wrote, and absolutely DO NOT enrich Icom.

KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 09:26:13 PM »

Definitely what KS2G wrote, and absolutely DO NOT enrich Icom.

I've read that early serial numbers of a new Icom offering can have serious quality control problems until they get all the bugs worked out. I know that the 735 had a problem with cold solder joints early on. One time, Icom produced a new HT that had the firmware written into DRAM, so if your battery died, your radio was a paperweight. You had to send it back to Icom for reprogramming. Most owners didn't bother. I've also heard that Icom has been using the same basic firmware for 30 years, and trying to sell on the basis of hardware features. Kenwoods are really great rigs, and they use updated firmware. Of course, you could get a SDR, but some older hams aren't comfortable with them.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 10:26:35 AM »

One approach is to do a comparison that says: 'What will this rig do better (or actually do) than my present rig does?' Also, as a DX'er, you may find that ancilliaries such as a bandscope are helpful in DX chasing when a split is in use, although I'm not that convinced considering the chaos that a DX pileup - especially with EU stations in there, ignoring all instructions!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: