The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amazon Proposes Drones-Only Airspace  (Read 2893 times)
KB1WSY

Ignore
« on: July 28, 2015, 12:18:45 PM »

Details here:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jul/28/amazon-autonomous-drones-only-airspace-package-delivery

73 de Martin, KB1WSY
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 05:28:09 PM »

I have to laugh at Amazon....imagine these flying over any major American city, the hood in that city, that is.  Low-flying commerce just waiting to be shot down and grabbed.  Old Iraqi and North Vietnamese air defense footage will seem pretty tame....teams of meth-heads driving around in pickup trucks hacking into the Amazon drones or shooting them down, then fencing the swag.   I guess a new tv show could be called Breaking Bezos.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 08:25:23 AM by K9MHZ » Logged
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 12:20:51 AM »

Medevac ambulance flights would need an enormous amount of added coms ability, and all drones diverted within seconds. This is one proposal that I don't think 'should fly'!
KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 03:44:50 AM »

My first objection is on quality-of-life grounds. Here we are, working hard to remove (or reduce the number of) motorized vehicles in city centers, putting in cycle lanes, trying to deal with noise and other nuisances, trying to increase the amount of green spaces.

Now Amazon wants to pollute the skies visually with myriad little blobs, a bit like an artificial fly swarm. Presumably they would argue that it is "greener" than sending a truck. But that truck can deliver dozens, perhaps even hundreds, of parcels a day. How many can be carried by a single drone?

73 de Martin, KB1WSY
AB2RC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 05:26:59 AM »

Now Amazon wants to pollute the skies visually with myriad little blobs, a bit like an artificial fly swarm. Presumably they would argue that it is "greener" than sending a truck. But that truck can deliver dozens, perhaps even hundreds, of parcels a day. How many can be carried by a single drone?

Probably only 1 smallish package at a time, and for a limited distance. For me it would be useful, as I live only a few miles away (about 6 miles as the drone flies) from one of Amazon's distribution centers. Being able to get something delivered in a hour or so instead of a 1-2 day wait would be very convenient.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 06:44:07 AM »

My first objection is on quality-of-life grounds. Here we are, working hard to remove (or reduce the number of) motorized vehicles in city centers, putting in cycle lanes, trying to deal with noise and other nuisances, trying to increase the amount of green spaces.

73 de Martin, KB1WSY

I am not a fan of drone delivery but I do suspect that even 100 plus drone flights is a lot cleaner than one truck route CO2/emissions footprint. (unless truck is hybrid/electric that is)  But, then there is the truck that has to chase/locate drones that crashed or got lost.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computing technology and change with it or cling to past and fall further behind everyday....
W5SRT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 07:17:41 AM »

I think it's going to be great.  Go to Amazon.com, hit the "Buy it now with 1-click" and then a drone sets the package in your back yard a hour, or so, later.

Bring it.

- Dan
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 08:30:42 AM »

I wonder how good the sensors will be to avoid say a 16 gauge wire antenna?
WD8T

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 08:35:17 AM »

Since I never drink and drive....If I could get a drone to deliver a 6 pack late on a Friday night ... I'm all for it.   Tongue
KG4CGC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 08:23:21 PM »

What happens when the drones become ... self aware?
W9RND

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 02:17:42 AM »

What happens when the drones become ... self aware?

they will quit their jobs and formulate their own version of ham radio contesting in which they will deliver 59 reports to and from various locations Wink
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 09:24:21 AM »

Click Here

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computing technology and change with it or cling to past and fall further behind everyday....
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 09:32:44 AM »

No Thanks, think I'll pass.
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 10:52:21 AM »

Now finally, a very good argument for the "no external antennas" crowd. Antennas are a menace to delivery drones.

High power transmissions will have to go also as they could interfere with drone control systems.

How long before we have to have drone traffic control to prevent mid-air collisions between drones.

A technology becomes too popular before its infrastructure can mature.

KF7CG
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 12:44:04 PM »

Personally I think Amazon is just hedging on a bet that this can work at some point in the distant future, but for right now it's probably going to be to a very limited group of people that will ever see this service.  Kind of like what they are doing with "Amazon Now"  Yes you get 8 hour delivery if you live in the right area and you choose from a very limited amount of products.

The technology simply does not exist for Amazon to make drones that can fly out in densely populated cities and deliver a package without a fairly high risk of something going wrong.  Just imagine someone wealthy in New York getting seriously injured by a malfunctioning drone that crashes down on him with a 10lb box.  Lawyers will be lining up like ants around sugar.

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: