The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stolen Valor & Ham Radio Number 1 for 2013  (Read 41049 times)
W1MSG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 07:20:22 AM »

I have several others from the Amateur Radio community as well, but since their claims were on the air I wont post call signs.

1st  Claims Combat Engineer Vietnam, got his Bronze Star in the mail after he got home. Got a piece of metal in the face but no Purple Heart as he was a Non Combatant. Truth he was a Commo Guy and worked at a Mars Station, NO BSM or Combat Engineer.

2nd  Claims Marine Sniper in Beruit. Truth Marine Infantry, wasnt in Beruit and not a Sniper.

There are many more, I cant count all the guys I see at HAM Fests wearing SEAL Tridents, Special Forces Crests Blah Blah my guess is 90% of them are completely FOS !

Anyway, bringing an old thread back to light as Stolen Valor has become a real epidemic !
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2015, 08:51:24 AM »

Anyway, bringing an old thread back to light as Stolen Valor has become a real epidemic !

Yes, it has become.....perhaps not an "epidemic" but has indeed come to the attention of many.

I have two schools of thought on this.  One is, until a law is past controlling this despicable behavior, you might just as well go out and yell at the clouds.

The second thought is "who gives a rats ass!"  The guys that does this have been doing it for many decades....actually from the first war.....wherever that was.

It needs to be understood that those who write up these bios depicting their "heroism" and or military accomplishments that are nothing but fabrications, have a mental problem. 

Ranting here on eHam, which is a ham radio question/answer forum, about this subject accomplishes absolutely nothing. 

Why even give credence to this crap?  Let's face it, the only people who are impressed are those who write the bio.  The true heroes and commendable service men don't have the need to write of their military accomplishments!

Walk away! 

BTW, an afterthought.  If you wish to "not walk away." start a letter writing campaign to your Senators and Congressmen.  That's the only chance you have of being effective in correcting this farce.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2015, 09:29:35 AM »

Text from N6JSX's own page......

"High School we had a good HAM shack with an arm-strong pulley/counterweight rotor with tri-beam. I was hooked in 1972, by 16, I was a Novice doing CW with rocks @ 75 watts."

But on the exact same page, he states that he was in the Navy in 1972.  Looks like that if he put the truth, 1973, on his QSL, that this "combat veteran" might not look so studly.  Nixon ordered the Christmas B-52  raids of Hanoi in 1972, and the North Vietnamese agreed to a ceasefire in January 1973.  N6JSX was still a civilian and wouldn't even start basic training for another month.

He used to post on here quite a bit.  If he comes back, I'd urge anyone who values truth and true valor to confront him with this.  Great work W1MSG.

God bless our troops and God bless America.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 09:00:29 AM by K9MHZ » Logged
W1MSG

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2015, 10:28:37 AM »

Its the Math that gets these guys every time. Not to mention his official records from a Freedom of Information request. He posts alot on the Satellite forum. Just another Turd in a Punch Bowl.

He also has some Phony ribbons on his QSL that he never received ..
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 07:24:18 PM »

That's crazy people would even think of doing something like that. What fools. Great job pointing them out.
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2015, 06:52:38 AM »

Real vets that I know, especially those with combat experience don't really walk around all the time with hats, shirts, and other regalia advertising the fact.  They may come out with such regalia during Veterans, memorial day, etc. Those wannabees with big BS stories (on air and off) have very little manhood in my opinion.  They should be exposed for the liars and phonies they really are.  Let me qualify that I served and I don't go around talking about it or wearing insignias and such to advertise it.  Am I proud of my service, well yes but it's for me and not everyone else.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2015, 08:39:37 AM »

Real vets that I know, especially those with combat experience don't really walk around all the time with hats, shirts, and other regalia advertising the fact. 

Absolutely 100% true. 
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2015, 09:21:30 AM »

Real vets that I know, especially those with combat experience don't really walk around all the time with hats, shirts, and other regalia advertising the fact. 

Absolutely 100% true. 

Not absolutely true. I have several caps with Signal Corps on them and a few that show Korean Service. I did both and am proud of it. Just my point of view. I don't wear them all the time but rotate them among the ham caps etc...
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2015, 09:34:59 AM »

I agree 100% with IPF.  I also wear on occasion, especially in the summer, my cap with my service patch(s) on the front.  The reason for this is because of the significance of my particular service which attracts attention and is a conversation starter. 

Also since my branch of service was so small, I occasionally encounter another former members and that leads to some very happy  conversations.

Quite often I will see an older (than me) gentleman setting on a bench at the mall or Wal-mart who is wearing a "military service" cap.  I like to stop and talk to them about their service.  The conversations I've had with these guys have been incredible, even educational. I've found that as a man gets older, his military service is something he enjoys talking about. 

Every once in a while someone will stop me and thank me for my service which was over 55 years ago.....which I never received at the time.....but is also embarrassing.  However,  I thank them and go on. 

Personally, I think more men should wear caps depicting their service units.  It shows justifiable pride. 
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2015, 09:42:05 AM »

The operative part of the sentence  "Real vets that I know, especially those with combat experience don't really walk around all the time with hats, shirts, and other regalia advertising the fact."; is "all the time".  Sure legitimate vets will wear service pins and the like but not all. Some veterans would rather put that part of their past behind them.  They don't want to appear or be perceived as appearing to be arrogant, war inspiring, or gungho.  On the other hand some guys do want to emit this feeling.  I get suspicious of guys that push out too much of this testosterone.
W1MSG

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2015, 10:01:50 AM »

I have a few things I will wear from time to time. I have my old 82nd PT shirt I will wear around here. I also have an Army Strong winter hat I wear. I earned a few Qualification Badges and another for my time in the Sand Box. I also have a bunch of ribbons as well. The next time any one see's them is when I am lying in the box ready for my final destination, as that will be the next time I have my Dress Blues on. I have a Special Veterans tag for an award I received only because it affords me not paying for my vehicle registration, being retired now every penny counts.

It doesn't bother me when I see someone wearing what they earned or received in the military, how ever the ones that didn't earn it and wear it or claim it is another story all together !

Take a look at the QRZ pages for these two mentioned in the Thread, One is Really over the top, and the second is pretty close. Maybe he should learn how to spell Sergeant, or that 20 yrs service does not equal 10 hash marks on the left sleeve.

Anyway, glad the thread is still up and running, and feel free to ask me any questions about suspect Phony Vets, more than happy to check them out !

Craig, W1MSG
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2015, 10:24:25 AM »

Real vets that I know, especially those with combat experience don't really walk around all the time with hats, shirts, and other regalia advertising the fact.  They may come out with such regalia during Veterans, memorial day, etc. Those wannabees with big BS stories (on air and off) have very little manhood in my opinion.  They should be exposed for the liars and phonies they really are.  Let me qualify that I served and I don't go around talking about it or wearing insignias and such to advertise it.  Am I proud of my service, well yes but it's for me and not everyone else.

I'm a 20 year Navy veteran, having retired in 1985.  I did a tour in Vietnam and then spent the rest of my career in the active Reserves.  The only apparel related to my military career I ever wear is a ball hat with my retired rank (Chief Petty Officer) on it or a t-shirt that says US Navy Diver on it.  (I was a Second Class Diver during the second half of my career.)
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2015, 12:00:28 PM »

A question from somebody who has little knowledge of the US military. I sometimes see TV pictures of US vets wearing brightly colored caps similar to this one:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads//monthly_12_2010/post-18845-1293769983.jpg

I have seen red, blue, green and white, often with additional badges on them. Is there any significance to the colors used?

Peter DL8OV
W1MSG

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2015, 01:17:41 PM »

A question from somebody who has little knowledge of the US military. I sometimes see TV pictures of US vets wearing brightly colored caps similar to this one:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads//monthly_12_2010/post-18845-1293769983.jpg

I have seen red, blue, green and white, often with additional badges on them. Is there any significance to the colors used?

Peter DL8OV

Each Military Branch has their own style of hats that they wear. I was in the Army, and when I was assigned to the 82nd Airborne I wore a Maroon Beret. But there is a lot of different head gear.

Craig W1MSG
AB7R

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2015, 01:40:48 PM »

Am I proud of my service, well yes but it's for me and not everyone else.

I agree with this....but I often wear my squadron ball caps from VA-165, VAQ-142 and from the Independence and Nimitz.

Greg - AB7R
Retired PNC(AW)
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: