The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stolen Valor & Ham Radio Number 1 for 2013  (Read 41035 times)
W1MSG

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2015, 02:29:52 PM »

Am I proud of my service, well yes but it's for me and not everyone else.

I agree with this....but I often wear my squadron ball caps from VA-165, VAQ-142 and from the Independence and Nimitz.

Greg - AB7R
Retired PNC(AW)

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

When were you on the Nimitz ? My Step Father in Law was a Master Chief on the Nimitz when he retired back in the Early 80's.

Craig
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2015, 11:07:54 AM »

A question from somebody who has little knowledge of the US military. I sometimes see TV pictures of US vets wearing brightly colored caps similar to this one:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads//monthly_12_2010/post-18845-1293769983.jpg

I have seen red, blue, green and white, often with additional badges on them. Is there any significance to the colors used?

Peter DL8OV

What you are seeing is the caps of members of one of the veteran's organizations, such as the Veterans of Foreign Wars or the American Legion.  Other groups such as the Pearl Harbor Survivors or the Navajo Code Talkers wear them also.  The badges on the caps are usually representative of the wearer's service, such as rank insignia, specialty badges and medals awarded.
AB7R

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2015, 07:00:53 PM »

I was with VA 165 (boomers) when I deployed on the Nimitz in 95.  Only ships as ship's company was the Indy and the Frank Cable.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2015, 12:16:48 PM »

Not absolutely true. I have several caps with Signal Corps on them and a few that show Korean Service. I did both and am proud of it. Just my point of view. I don't wear them all the time but rotate them among the ham caps etc...

Next time, try reading the context of the posts preceding yours, to which you're responding.

So once again, and to clarify for those who want to be offended for some reason.......people who advertise their service the most, and the loudest, are oftentimes those who in reality did the least.  That's part of the theme of this thread.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 12:23:54 PM by K9MHZ » Logged
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2015, 05:04:22 PM »

Not absolutely true. I have several caps with Signal Corps on them and a few that show Korean Service. I did both and am proud of it. Just my point of view. I don't wear them all the time but rotate them among the ham caps etc...

Next time, try reading the context of the posts preceding yours, to which you're responding.

So once again, and to clarify for those who want to be offended for some reason.......people who advertise their service the most, and the loudest, are oftentimes those who in reality did the least.  That's part of the theme of this thread.

Maybe you need to read a little better. Here's what I responded to and even included it as a quote.

Quote from: KC2QYM on January 29, 2015, 08:52:38 AM
Real vets that I know, especially those with combat experience don't really walk around all the time with hats, shirts, and other regalia advertising the fact. Quote

Absolutely 100% true. (K9MHZ response)

The last statement is yours. I merely pointed out that you stated an absolute which isn't true. As you have found out a lot of vets wear caps.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2015, 09:44:10 AM »

Clif:  Well said!  End of story!
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2015, 04:34:23 PM »

Well good for you guys.....enjoy your free Starbuck's and bowls of soup.

It isn't about us anymore....we've served, and now we're old.  It's about the kids today who have been fighting and dying in a decade-long war.  I've been there and I've seen what profound sacrifices those Marine and Army kids are making for us today.  

Save your ball caps for Nov 11th.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 08:54:54 AM by K9MHZ » Logged
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2015, 07:09:12 PM »

Are you a vet or a wanna-be?
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2015, 09:58:01 PM »

Clif, he says "he's been there" so guess he's a vet.  Also sound like he thinks that the present "war" was the only one fought or that the service of millions of other men and woman mean nothing. 

Free Starbucks and soup???  What the hell's that all about?

W1MSG

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2015, 03:12:03 AM »

Guys can we tone it down a bit ..

I am assuming that if you took the time to post on this thread, you are also upset about those that are riding the back of Veterans with stories and service that is highly exaggerated or completely false.

Just take a look at this list http://thisainthell.us/blog/?page_id=30655

Its an epidemic that grows daily !

KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2015, 08:23:14 AM »

Guys can we tone it down a bit ..

I am assuming that if you took the time to post on this thread, you are also upset about those that are riding the back of Veterans with stories and service that is highly exaggerated or completely false.

Just take a look at this list http://thisainthell.us/blog/?page_id=30655

Its an epidemic that grows daily !

You are correct. That's a very short and tender nerve in my body. My apologies.
KG9SF

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2015, 01:12:04 PM »

Wonder what ball cap Brian Williams wears.  Maybe the patch shows a mental health Purple Heart from when he went down in flames in that shot-up copter.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2015, 01:30:30 PM »

Some 30 years ago, I worked with a guy who, in his youth - 1950s - had been an MP in Korea and so counted as VET. He wasn't keen on having any patches that might advertise that he had collected a very nasty dose of VD there.....

One wonders how many patch wearing veterans could say that is what it really meant for them...
AE5HL

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2015, 08:19:21 PM »

There is nothing surprising about this...  I had a retail management job for about 6 1/2 months following my retirement from the Navy, so was able to interact with quite a few different members of the public.  There was a segment of the veteran community who passed themselves off as Army Rangers or Navy Seals and that nobody ever had to clean a toilet...  Really sad but that adage about the "brotherhood" in the military is for the most part a load of BS.  Padding a service record is something I observed while active, the pressure to make it to the top (bottom) was prevalent and practically encouraged the behavior.  I worked with some great folks and then there were those I would not trust with a firecracker...

I was very happy to retire but would have stayed had it been an option, really enjoyed the Navy, warts and all, and in my early years gave many of my supervisors a headache, so I guess it all evens out...

W4AMP

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2015, 09:15:14 PM »

Hello Craig, good to see you. This thread reminds me of the problems I experienced when I returned home from the Civil War.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: