The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stolen Valor & Ham Radio Number 1 for 2013  (Read 41033 times)
W1MSG

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2015, 09:38:42 AM »

Lets add yet another

KB1HSA

http://thisainthell.us/blog/?p=57654

Phony Army Special Forces .. The Stolen Valor epidemic continues !
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2015, 02:58:56 PM »

Interesting.  The name tag worn on the uniform isn't Soto.  Too many letters.  Also, the photo was snapped in May of 2013.

The uniform looks to be a tad tight.  My ROTC uniform wasn't even tailored and didn't look like that.

One would think that most would know how easy it is to obtain a custom-made black/white pantograph-engraved badge.  (The closest sizeable hamfest)

Oh, almost forgot the most important point:  A first sergeant, or sergeant first class more accurately, is two rockers, not three with a diamond in the center.  Three rockers with a diamond happens to be a sergeant major.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 03:04:15 PM by W6EM » Logged
W1MSG

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2015, 03:13:34 PM »

Interesting.  The name tag worn on the uniform isn't Soto.  Too many letters.  Also, the photo was snapped in May of 2013.

The uniform looks to be a tad tight.  My ROTC uniform wasn't even tailored and didn't look like that.

One would think that most would know how easy it is to obtain a custom-made black/white pantograph-engraved badge.  (The closest sizeable hamfest)

Oh, almost forgot the most important point:  A first sergeant, or sergeant first class more accurately, is two rockers, not three with a diamond in the center.  Three rockers with a diamond happens to be a sergeant major.

Actually that is incorrect for the Army, 3 rockers is a Master Sergeant ( which I retired as ) add a Diamond to it and your a First Sergeant. Change that to a Star and its a Sergeant Major then add the wreath and its a Command Sergeant Major ..

MSG / 1SG are both E-8 and SGM /CSM are E-9

The name tape does say SOTO, I just took a look at a larger photo of it.

It appears he has removed his picture and claims from his QRZ Page, Unlike our Hero Kubichek ..

Craig

« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 03:18:36 PM by W1MSG » Logged
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2015, 03:18:12 PM »

Oh, almost forgot the most important point:  A first sergeant, or sergeant first class more accurately, is two rockers, not three with a diamond in the center.  Three rockers with a diamond happens to be a sergeant major.

Actually that is incorrect for the Army, 3 rockers is a Master Sergeant ( which I retired as ) add a Diamond to it and your a First Sergeant. Change that to a Star and its a Sergeant Major then add the wreath and its a Command Sergeant Major ..

Craig

Oops.  Sorry, Craig, my lack of modern knowledge!  Thanks for straightening me out.  Hope what I said about the nametag is correct.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 03:21:14 PM by W6EM » Logged
W1MSG

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2015, 03:21:59 PM »

Oh, almost forgot the most important point:  A first sergeant, or sergeant first class more accurately, is two rockers, not three with a diamond in the center.  Three rockers with a diamond happens to be a sergeant major.

Craig

Oops.  Sorry, Craig.  Thanks for straightening me out.

No problem, its easy to get the whole rocker diamond star thing confused.. It also looks like he cleaned up his QRZ Page and removed the photo and claims. I am sure some of the Special Forces guys had something to do with that..

Craig
KK5DR

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2015, 03:29:51 PM »

Dilutions of grandure. That is usually the motivation for claiming military experiences that never really happened, or were greatly embellished on.
Any way you cut it, it isn't right.
I am a U.S. Navy vet. 1982-86. I never claim things I didn't really do or can't prove with my records (which I have locked in my safe).
I have little to no respect for those that do such things. It dishonors all those who did their duty with honor.
I fully support those vets out there that "call out" these "posers".
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2015, 09:34:03 AM »

Are 'Dilutions of grandure' somewhat different or the same as 'Solutions of grandure' which when taken with a shot of false courage bourbon becomes Delusions of Grandure  Grin
I agree that men with small members and/or diminishing testosterone levels often feel that they have to  compensate with bloated stories of their military heroics (if they even did serve).  As I've said in other threads, a man who has been in battle doesn't talk about it and doesn't have to.  He doesn't have to remind people that he was there and express what he did.  Veterans who return home from war should never be asked about what they did over there.  It's an inappropriate question in my opinion.  Although some veterans don't have a problem with that question, civilians should have the sensitivity to understand that many men and woman soldiers and veterans don't need to be reminded of their in theater experiences by direct or indirect questions.  Let them move forward with their lives and be encouraged in that pursuit.  Those disgusting outrageous liars that put themselves in higher proportion military backgrounds should be shunned and continually exposed.   
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2015, 05:12:25 PM »

Lets add yet another

KB1HSA

He's a nut.  Look at his dates of service...approx. 18 months and discharged as an Airman Basic (E-1).  Normally he would have served at least 4 years to complete the active duty portion of his enlistment, and even at 18 months, he should have at least been an E-2 or E-3.  Something happened back then, and it looks like his present behavior is consistent with reading between the lines on his discharge form.  
AE5J

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2015, 09:15:22 PM »

My dad flew 33 missions as a B-17 pilot over Germany in WWII, was shot up several times, once had to crash land in Russian controlled territory for which he was awarded the DFC. He and his crew managed to make it back to Foggia in Italy. He would never talk about the terror of his experiences.

My father in law landed on Omaha Beach on D+1, was wounded 3 times (3 Purple Hearts), and fought in the Battle of the Bulge. He never would speak of his experiences. He had frequent nightmares that lasted until he passed away - some 60 years after the events.

I tried to enlist in 1967-68 in both the Army and Marine Corps. Each time I tried, I was told they didn't want me. I passed my physical and was classified 1-A for the draft. Figured I would get called. Nothing. At my fathers funeral in 2006, a man introduced himself to me. I had no idea who he was. Turned out he was on the local Draft Board. He asked if I knew why I'd never been called or allowed to enlist to which I said no. He said they would not allow only sons of WWII or Korean War vets to serve. I wept when he told me since 4 of my close friends were on The Wall.

I infuriates me when people steal the valor of all those who serve and served, living and dead. And to all the Vietnam vets in particular, we owe you a "welcome home." Please know that you are among our heroes.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2015, 04:00:52 AM »

He asked if I knew why I'd never been called or allowed to enlist to which I said no. He said they would not allow only sons of WWII or Korean War vets to serve.

Really?? Can someone please explain this as I had no problem doing so.

AE5J

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2015, 08:12:13 AM »

I understand local boards had the discretion before the lottery. Yours must not have chosen to implement it? My question to him was why. He just said the board had the option. He must have known my dad in some way. I have no idea about others. After 1969 they went to the lottery thing. I was 125. I think my classification was IV-something, but I don't remember when I was changed from I-A. The only IV classification I knew about was IV-F for physical.

Keep in mind this is just what he told me. I was never told why I wasn't accepted by the recruiters. I think (IIRC) both times I tried to enlist was in the winter of 67-68.

I haven't a clue as to the way all this happened. Back then most saw it as like Russian roulette. You went or you didn't.

Edit to add: wonders of the Internet. All these years and I just looked up the ever changing sole surviving son law. It only applied when a family member had been killed in action or was MIA or a POW - none of which would have applied to me. There is lots of information about draft boards out there. The more I look at it now, my situation sounds and smells more like a local decision on who would get drafted, and who wouldn't. I guess they thought they were doing me a favor - one I'd sooner have foregone.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 09:16:51 AM by AE5J » Logged
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2015, 06:27:07 AM »

Lets add yet another

KB1HSA

Something I received yesterday from a friend from work (now retired) who flew F-100s in Vietnam for the Mistys.  Note what was also going on during HSA's 18-month stint as an Airman Basic.  But, I'm not sure that vermin like HSA could ever understand or even care.................

The Wall

A little history most people will never know.

Interesting Veterans Statistics off the Vietnam Memorial Wall.

There are 58,267 names now listed on that polished black wall, including those added in 2010.

The names are arranged in the order in which they were taken from us by date and within each date the names are alphabetized. It is hard to believe it is 36 years since the last casualties.

The first known casualty was Richard B. Fitzgibbon, of North Weymouth, Mass. Listed by the U.S. Department of Defense as having been killed on June 8, 1965. His name is listed on the Wall with that of his son, Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Richard B Fitzgibbon III, who was killed on Sept. 7, 1965.

There are three sets of fathers and sons on the Wall.

39,996 on the Wall were just 22 or younger.

8,283 were just 19 years old.

The largest age group, 33,103 were 18 years old.
12 soldiers on the Wall were 17 years old.

5 soldiers on the Wall were 16 years old.

One soldier, PFC Dan Bullock was 15 years old.

997 soldiers were killed on their first day in Vietnam.

1,448 soldiers were killed on their last assigned date in Vietnam.

31 sets of brothers are on the Wall.

Thirty one sets of parents lost two of their sons.

54 soldiers attended Thomas Edison High School in Philadelphia . I wonder why so many from one school.

8 Women are on the Wall. Nursing the wounded.

244 soldiers were awarded the Medal of Honor during the Vietnam War; 153 of them are on the Wall.

Beallsville, Ohio with a population of 475 lost 6 of her sons.

West Virginia had the highest casualty rate per capita in the nation. There are 711 West Virginians on the Wall.

The Marines of Morenci - They led some of the scrappiest high school football and basketball teams that the little Arizona copper town of Morenci (pop. 5,058) had ever known and cheered. They enjoyed roaring beer busts. In quieter moments, they rode horses along the Coronado Trail, stalked deer in the Apache National Forest. And in the patriotic camaraderie typical of Morenci's mining families, the nine graduates of Morenci High enlisted as a group in the Marine Corps. Their service began on Independence Day, 1966. Only 3 returned home.

The Buddies of Midvale - LeRoy Tafoya, Jimmy Martinez, Tom Gonzales were all boyhood friends and lived on three consecutive streets in Midvale, Utah on Fifth, Sixth and Seventh avenues. They lived only a few yards apart. They played ball at the adjacent sandlot ball field. And they all went to Vietnam . In a span of 16 dark days in late 1967, all three would be killed. LeRoy was killed on Wednesday, Nov. 22, the fourth anniversary of John F. Kennedy's assassination. Jimmy died less than 24 hours later on Thanksgiving Day. Tom was shot dead assaulting the enemy on Dec. 7, Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day.

The most casualty deaths for a single day was on January 31, 1968 ~ 245 deaths.

The most casualty deaths for a single month was May 1968 - 2,415 casualties were incurred.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 06:55:45 AM by K9MHZ » Logged
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2015, 10:10:58 AM »

For all those on the wall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGgmxhyOcYk

Peter DL8OV
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2015, 08:57:07 AM »

I infuriates me when people steal the valor of all those who serve and served, living and dead. And to all the Vietnam vets in particular, we owe you a "welcome home." Please know that you are among our heroes.

Perfectly stated.  People in Texas always seem to get it for some reason.
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2015, 01:09:10 PM »

Some company called "UMG" had youtube block it here in the USA.  Something about copyright. 

I never had the pleasure to serve in the service.  Just a little too young for Vietnam. 

Don't know anyone who faked their military experiences, though I do know someone who told tall tales of being in charge of building security at the World Trade Center on 911.  He didn't scam us out of anything, but I suppose he figured his life was very boring otherwise...
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: