The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stolen Valor & Ham Radio Number 1 for 2013  (Read 41039 times)
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2015, 02:43:46 PM »

Some company called "UMG" had youtube block it here in the USA.  Something about copyright. 

I never had the pleasure to serve in the service.  Just a little too young for Vietnam. 

Don't know anyone who faked their military experiences, though I do know someone who told tall tales of being in charge of building security at the World Trade Center on 911.  He didn't scam us out of anything, but I suppose he figured his life was very boring otherwise...

Speaking of 911, there was a lady named Tania Head who said she was a survivor of the WTC. In fact she was was in her native Spain when 911 happened. She got a lot of media attention until she was exposed. They even did a documentary about her on one of the cable channels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alicia_Esteve_Head

"Head rose to "mini-celebrity status" with her vivid description of crawling through smoke and flames on the 78th floor of the South Tower (WTC 2) when United Airlines Flight 175 hit. If true, this would have made her 1 of only 19 people at or above the point of impact to have survived.[8][10] She claimed that her fiancé Dave was killed in the North Tower (WTC 1), though in later tellings of the story, she said that "Dave" was actually her husband.[11]

She also claimed that a dying man passed his wedding ring to her so it could be returned to his widow, and that she had been rescued by Welles Crowther, whose heroic actions on that day were widely reported in the media.[8] Head was interviewed in the media, invited to speak at university conferences, and in 2005, was chosen to lead tours for the Tribute WTC Visitor Center, where she was photographed with New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, former Mayor Rudy Giuliani, and former New York Governor George Pataki.[12]

Head regularly recounted her claims to Ground Zero tour groups in vivid detail, saying, "I was there at the towers. I'm a survivor. I'm going to tell you about that."[10] She was featured in retrospective 9/11 articles as a representative of the 20,000 surviving victims who escaped the damaged buildings.[13] Richard Zimbler, her successor as president of the World Trade Center Survivors' Network, said, "There was no reason to doubt her story. She looked the part. She had a badly injured arm that appeared to have burn scars and her story was very, very realistic."[14]"

Didn't mean to derail the thread, but you mentioned 911 and I think it is important that everyone hear of the story.

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
KM4AH

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2015, 02:52:01 PM »

When my neighbor, whose father I worked for, got back from Viet Nam he gave me his jacket which had three stripes and Old Ironsides on it. I wore the jacket pulling tobacco for a couple of years. Good thing I was not arrested out in a tobacco field for impersonating a vet.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: