Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-130S COMPLETELY DEAD  (Read 1361 times)
K9BDR

Ignore
« on: February 03, 2013, 08:04:45 AM »

I was using my TS-130S as a receiver while trying to get my Harvey Wells Bandmaster on the air when the RF jumped across my Transmit/Receive relay I had connected between the TS-130S and the Bandmaster and subsequently my TS-130S went completely dead. The power supply is working. Does anyone have a solution?   Huh
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 08:12:05 AM »

A wild guess is you blew out the front end of the receiver..
Ther first  RF l  transistor  is likely  toast..
Shot gun  that first.. then  trouble shoot.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 08:20:45 AM »

It seems not only the front end got a hit. If you are into repairing yourself, check out the voltages in the RX section.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 09:21:31 AM »

Not only check all regulated lines for proper voltages, check for ripple, suspect electrolytic caps used to filter both input and output of regulators as well. 

Good Luck,

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 09:54:08 AM »

POL is right on.  If the receiver is completely dead more than just the front end got zapped. You should be able to turn up the audio gain control and hear noise. 

Usually, when a receiver goes completely dead, suspect the power supply or whatever routes the voltages to the various parts of the receiver.
K9BDR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 06:04:28 PM »

First and foremost, I want to thank everyone for their interest and wanting to help me in my time of need. Now, I have to tell a story on myself. I took the TS-130S apart, removed the IS board and the final board. Checked everything my limited abilities would allow and came up with no conclusion. I even ordered some replacement diodes to have on hand in case of the need, but nay nay, nothing appeared to be askew. Then I remembered that something similar happened to me a few years ago. I use an Astron 35 amp power supply and once when I produced a lot of RF in the shack, the power supply cut out. I don't know why,.... design I think but ...not sure. Could this be the same situation I asked? So I put it all back together, hooked up the power supply and wallah....it works. I then closed everything down in the ole shack, switched off the lights and came in the house before I hurt myself.
Very Best 73's guys.  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 06:08:32 PM by K9BDR » Logged
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 10:03:51 PM »

I saw a cartoon many years ago.  A ham had his rig up-side-down on the workbench and wires and parts were hanging out of it like guts. 

He was standing there holding the power cord and plug up in the air with a very startled expression on his face.  He had realized that he forgot to plug the power cord in. 

THAT's why it wasn't working!

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 03:54:45 AM »

Sometimes one just can't see the forest but for the trees.  Happens to all of us at one time or another.  73!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: