Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flex 1500 or other SDR for Panadapter?  (Read 4924 times)
KB8BAB

Ignore
« on: February 03, 2013, 06:03:32 PM »

I love the pan-adapter some call it band-scope.

Currently I have one set-up with my TS-940S (LP-Pan) but I want to upgrade the rig. I like Kenwood's probably because I have not owned anything else...but anyways....

It looks like that with the newer rigs (in my price range), IF-out becomes "non-existent" to speak of.
My thought is, could I use an SDR rig (like the flex-1500) or an SDR-IQ receiver in parallel with my transceiver?
Or are there better alternatives to the Flex or SDR-IQ....are these complete overkill?

Thanks,

Bart
KB8BAB
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 02:47:21 PM »

Well if flex wanted to make it compatable with Kenwoods TS590 they would sell a ton of thos 1500's, there are 10,000 590's sold here in the US.
AB2YC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 05:51:56 AM »

Take a look at the "Softrock" series of SDR kits.

They may be just what you are looking for.
HAMMYGUY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 03:22:39 PM »

I use an SDR-IQ as the main receiver with a Kenwood TS-2000 slaved to it.  I have an MFJ RF antenna switch with protection inline for the SDR receiver.  

Using either SDR-Radio or HDSDR the whole setup works extremely well.  
K9AQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 09:16:28 AM »

Bart,

I also have a Kenwood that doesn't have an IF output, a TS480HX.  I build an antenna switch based on the design from LZ1AQ http://www.lz1aq.signacor.com/docs/Integrating-Software-Defined-Radio_II_HP_eng/Integrating%20Software%20Defined%20Radio_II_v41.htm

I have this connected to my SDR, which is a DVB-T dongle with an upconverter.  I am using HDSDR software and have it synched with HRD to control my TS480.

It works very well and I use it every day.  I don't know how I operated without it.

Don
K9AQ
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 08:03:12 AM »

You should look very closely at exactly what you want to accomplish with the panadaptor. For example, if you'll be DXing and working stations split, does the software support VFO-B?  Last time I looked, SpectraVue for the SDR-IQ did NOT.  Otherwise, the SDR-IQ and SpectraVue make for an excellent panadaptor for rigs with an IF output that the SDR-IQ can handle.  While there are cheaper approaches than using an LP-Pan or SDR-IQ, in my experience those two have much cleaner displays, devoid of the zero frequency phantom signals, or other phantom signals.  Also, they do not feed back strong xtal oscillator signals into the IF chain if you use a proper buffer amp.  For a pure panadaptor function, I like NaP3 the best as you can get a nice sized sweep display without using a lot of screen real estate.  And, by the way, the resale value of LP-Pans and SDR-IQs is very good. 
K0CKH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 09:24:32 PM »

One solution I am looking at is using N4PY control software with my TS-590s and the Flex 1500 as the panadapter.  The N4PY software allows you to use the BOTH receivers on the Flex, point and click on the bandscope and it will auto tune the TS-590s (or other rigs).  Very handy and seamless. 

N4PY also allows you to integrate most logging programs, cw keyers, the LP-100A meter, some amplifiers, etc.

Of course, you can operate the Flex 1500 by itself as well - either QRP or put a PA in line.

Charlie
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: