Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QSO with Alaska and Hawaii from Pennsylvania needed  (Read 1284 times)
KB3MDT

Ignore
« on: February 10, 2013, 11:26:13 AM »

Hi,
      I'm working on my eQSL Worked all states and have contacted 48 out of 50 states with PSK-31.  I also have several of the states via JT-65 and RTTY, a few with Olivia, Contesta or MFSK.  (I don't do CW - yet).   I still need Alaska and Hawaii.   Any suggestions on Days, Times, Frequencies, Modes to contact Alaska and Hawaii?  I do make contact with North West US and Europe quite regularly, and even snagged Japan once.  So my signal gets out.  I've occasionally seen Alaska on the waterfall, but never Hawaii.

I use HAM CAP to help with Band Selection, HamSpots.net and PSKReporter.  My main communications SW is FLdigi and JT65.   Is there any other software or cluster / spotter web sites I should check out?    Are there any sites to set up schedules with stations?   

My station is modest:
1) ICOM 718 (100 watt)
2) Ground mounted Hustler 6BTV Vertical with 12M and 17M homebrew add on (and lots of ground radials)
3) Homebrew a Fan Dipole at 30 Feet with 80-40-20-10.   It tunes 15, 17, 30 "okay" via LDG Autotuner.   See QRZ.COM for pictures.
Thus, no big tower, no big Yagi.   Someday I might be able to squeeze in a Hex Beam on the roof.

Any suggestions are welcome. 

KB3MDT
Ken
KU1T

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 09:25:07 PM »

Ken,

try Andy's sked site:
http://www.obriensweb.com/sked/

Also, since you did not mentioned what bands you are looking at, take a look at:

http://www.voacap.com/prediction.html

very good, interactive propagation prediction tool. A great usage of Google maps...

here is 40m to Anchorage from Allentown:

http://www.voacap.com/predictions/5118803a31d6a/

have fun.
vy 73, de KU1T
_zjt
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 12:13:29 AM »

Be sure to operate on Field Day - there will be stations operating on all bands, but mostly SSB and CW - but you'll have a much better chance of getting AK and HI.
KL3HY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 03:50:25 PM »

I'd be happy to provide the AK contact, but do I have to do eQSL?  I'm completely unfamiliar with it.

Mike
N4JTE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 05:26:02 PM »

The Omiss net at 0100 and the weekend nets at 0400 have at least one HI on, AK is less guaranteed but there often enough for most stations to get there WAS in a couple of months.
Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: