Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stealth Cam battery pack  (Read 3002 times)
W1JKA

Ignore
« on: February 02, 2013, 12:36:15 PM »

Check it out: Stealth Cam (brand) 12V DC lead acid battery pack at Wall Mart and other sporting goods stores  $40-$43.Add a small cheap maintenance type solar panel and with the exception of pure backpacking portable ops your good to go.
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 09:26:18 AM »

Tractor Supply Company (not sure if this is a national chain) has 12V 7AHr rechargeable gel-cell batteries for $21.95. 

I did just the opposite of what you did.  I bought 4 of these $21.95 gel-cell batteries to power my Stealth Cams.  For the price of 8 each "D" DuraCell batteries that last no more than 4 weeks in the winter, I can buy one of these rechargeable batteries that will run the Stealth Cam several months.  When it "dies" just bring it home, recharge it, and put it back in the field.

Dick  AD4U
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 12:32:35 PM »

I was not specific enough,I meant for the use with qrp radios.These power packs include charger and dc power cord/plug that will fit most  small rigs.Sorry for the confusion.

AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 01:03:58 PM »

I was not specific enough,I meant for the use with qrp radios.These power packs include charger and dc power cord/plug that will fit most  small rigs.Sorry for the confusion.

I think I understood your post.

I have a Yaesu FT 817 and a homebrew 10 watt 40 M transceiver.  I often use one of the $21.95 Tractor Supply 12V 7A/Hr rechargeable gel-cell batteries to run them, which it will do for days.  Only down side is the Tractor Supply batteries are kinda heavy for back packing - around 5 pounds I would guess.

Dick  AD4U
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 06:19:22 AM »

Check it out: Stealth Cam (brand) 12V DC lead acid battery pack at Wall Mart

Comes in a field case, with charger and cord.  Maybe a tad more practical than the jump start packs if 7Ah is enough.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stealth-Cam-12V-Battery-Box/6225663

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 09:17:32 AM »

Re:K5LXP
    Tad is about right.I have always used the auto jump battery packs for my portable qrp ops since they are in my vehicals anyway.I found the main difference with the Stealth Cam pack is that the power cord is already provided and fixed ,no attached jumper cables to mess with ,a bit more compact and lighter plus more weather resistant than the auto jump packs.I do alot of MM from my canoe and sailboat and the Stealth Cam pack prevents a lot of the water/moisture ingress problems that I had to deal with when using the auto jump packs.Thanks for posting the web address.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: