Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF & Hybrids?  (Read 2028 times)
K3NPO

Ignore
« on: February 04, 2013, 08:45:28 AM »

I've read articles and been told by friends that hybrid vehicles are very noisy when it comes to running HF in the vehicle. Is it worth it? For those of you have HF in your hybrid, what setup did you go with?

I have a 2006 Lexus RX 400H that I'd like to put HF in... but don't want to waste the time, effort and money if it's going to be a bust from the start.

Cat, K3NPO
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 09:29:36 AM »

A: www.k0bg.com

B: the subject of HF in hybrids has been discussed before here on eham; if you've got a few minutes, a search may turn up some useful material.   I recall some discussion of someone running HF mobile in his Prius--so it's clearly possible.  :-)

Good luck!
K3NPO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 09:54:28 AM »

A: www.k0bg.com

B: the subject of HF in hybrids has been discussed before here on eham; if you've got a few minutes, a search may turn up some useful material.   I recall some discussion of someone running HF mobile in his Prius--so it's clearly possible.  :-)

Good luck!

Yeah I've seen that site before and had read "If you already own a hybrid vehicle, and are planning on installing amateur radio equipment, I wish you a lot of luck, and hope you have the patience of St. Job!" <-- so was hoping someone on the forum could list their experience w/ installs.

And yeah I've searched the forums but most of the posts are from 2010... 2009... 2004... so I was wondering what the latest experience people have had since most of these threads are at least a few years old Smiley

Hybrid Car Noise posts from 2005:
http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,56398.0.html
Escape Hybrid posts from 2006:
http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,30063.0.html
Honda Civic hybrid posts from 2006:
http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,51293.0.html
Noise problems in 2008 Civic Hybrid, all posts from 2008:
http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,39841.0.html
Lexus RX 450H (closest to my 400H which is an older version of this) in 2011:
http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,76141.0.html

The Lexus thread which may sound hopeful from the title only has a few comments about one guy and his Prius... and no actual follow up if they were ever able to quiet down the Lexus and it's noise for successful implementation with HF. Also that person who posted their question about the 450H *never* posted anything else on the forums, post count = 1. Sad

So hence, a new thread for a new year hoping for new responses and experiences to be posted Smiley
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 10:02:53 AM by K3NPO » Logged

Cat, K3NPO
KD5TXX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 07:50:02 PM »

I ran both a ts-50 and a 857 in a Toyota hylander and ford escape hybrid.  Yes it was noisier than non hybrid.  But it was totally usable.  I did most talking while mobile, not parked.  I worked many countries and states.  In the fall of 2011 when the bands were on fire I worked so much dx it got boring.  I was mostly on 17 or 10m some 20m.  I was using a mag mount antenna with ham sticks too.  I know that is not recommended and I know with a real antenna I would do better....but anything is better than nothing to me.  I say go for it.
K3NPO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 09:49:32 AM »

I ran both a ts-50 and a 857 in a Toyota hylander and ford escape hybrid.  Yes it was noisier than non hybrid.  But it was totally usable.  I did most talking while mobile, not parked.  I worked many countries and states.  In the fall of 2011 when the bands were on fire I worked so much dx it got boring.  I was mostly on 17 or 10m some 20m.  I was using a mag mount antenna with ham sticks too.  I know that is not recommended and I know with a real antenna I would do better....but anything is better than nothing to me.  I say go for it.

I assume when you say 857, you mean a Yeasu 857.

I think the Highlander is very similar to the Lexus RX400h from what I've noticed (Toyota/Lexus is the same company over all) with just some minor differences between the two vehicles... so that gives me hope hearing you got it working in a highlander... I think my only good mounting option on my vehicle for a better antenna will be to use a roof rack mount since the mag mounts only seem to be good for my smaller antenna's...

Cat, K3NPO
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 08:01:27 AM »

I have never owned a hybrid so take what I am saying accordingly. 

Most every hybrid battery is around 300V to operate the motor.  The 300V produced by the battery must be reduced to 13.8V (nominaly) to operate certain accessories that come with the vehicle and outboard accessories installed by the owner.

What you need to determine is how much extra 13.8V capacity the vehicle provides and whether or not it is enough to operate a typical HF rig.

Dick  AD4U
VE3XKD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 10:45:45 AM »

Hi

I've been operating mobile from a 2004 Prius since about 5 years. I have had a great deal of success, but eliminating the noise from the DC-DC converter AND the gasoline engine was a lengthy and time consuming job.

My antenna is a Hi-Q 3.5 with capacity cap, roof mounted, where I placed an aluminum plate under the roof for structural reinforcement. I can now shake the car by grabbing the Breedlove ball mount.

When i started, there was significant noise from about 3 MHz to 15 MHz, with peaks at about 4 and 7 MHz.

To actually reduce the noise to acceptable levels (from 20 over to about S3) involved wrapping most of the HW wiring in 3M11 copper foil tape, adding multiple ferrite beads to each electrical line leaving the engine compartment, proper bonding of 'everything' to the chassis, and building custom HV capacitive filters and installing them directly inside the DC-DC converter.

The noise on 17 meters is very low, and coincidentally, it is my favorite band to operate mobile, though I have often operated on 20 meters, and sometimes 80.

And there is still some annoying impulse-type noise when the electric motor first kicks in.

Saying all of that, I have heard, but not verified, that the later model Prius, is much better.

If you need any help or pointers, ask, and I will try to respond.

Cheers

VE3XKD

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: