The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 Meter antenna on truck rack  (Read 1428 times)
KJ6TSX

Ignore
« on: September 28, 2017, 08:27:58 PM »

Hello

I am considering installing a 10 meter antenna on my lumber rack on the top of my chev truck.
My truck rack is approximately 14 feet x 5 feet with cross bars just behind the cab at 6 feet,and a additional bar at 7 feet from front of truck, almost the middle of the rack(welded aluminum)
The rack is bolted to the truck and the antenna would be grounded to the rack.
I thought this would make a good counter poise?? I saw a Gordon West video were he cautions putting antennas on a light bar because of capacitance??
To be truthful I am confused Roll Eyes What do you think?? good idea or back to the drawing board

Thanks
George KJ6TSX
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 04:31:59 AM »

My own thoughts.
Earth the rack to the body of the truck with braided earthing straps then suck it and see.

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 08:12:16 PM »

With antennas, everything is relative, and success or failure is based largely on expectation and not raw performance.

Only you know what would constitute success or failure with this installation.  Only you have this exact installation configuration.  I guess that means it's up to you.

Not sure what you expect to work on 10M right now at this point in the cycle, so I personally wouldn't be expecting very much.  But maybe you have a very specific use in mind and it could work out perfectly for you.  Only one way to find out.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 06:00:57 AM »

As far as the UK goes, there is a bit of TEP (I think) in the evenings to South America.
Also near to me there are a few local nets on SSB.
I have heard (when the propagation was up) a few nets from your side of the pond on AM (Around 29 MHz)

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: