Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Been away from Ham for a while. Need recommendation for new HT  (Read 4117 times)
N1TQA

Ignore
« on: February 04, 2013, 01:03:41 PM »

Hi. I got my license in the mid-nineties and at the time bought an Alinco HT. It was somewhat heavy and complicated as heck. Well, I am planning a climbing trip to British Columbia and I'd like to bring an HT with me, so I am in the market for a new one. I have been looking at the latest models and they look great. I would appreciate it if someone could steer me towards a model I should consider. These are my wishes:

- small size and weight (for carrying in a backpack)
- dual band
- scanning ability
- must be able to use standard batteries if needed (like AA or AAA)
- removable antenna
- other bands like am or fm would be nice but not required
- weather resistant would be good but not required
- priced less than say $400
- must have maximum power output
- operation does not require a degree in computer programming.

Thanks, Pete N1TQA
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 01:28:48 PM by N1TQA » Logged
K1WJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 01:47:53 PM »

The Yaesu FT-60R - dual bander 2m/440 - 5 watts max - AA battery case available.
I have the Yaesu VX-3R - less power = 3watts w Power supply, but has extensive receive with am/fm radio. Sounds like the FT-60R meets your requirements well. 73 K1WJ David
W2RSA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 04:57:59 PM »

Sticking with the Yaesu name the vx6r seems a little closer to what you might be looking for, full general coverage recieve (am/fm) submersible, tri band (2,220 and 440) and pretty easy to learn to navigate thru the menus
N1TQA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 05:02:39 PM »

Thanks guys for getting back to me. I looked up the FT-60 and although it does have an available AA battery pack, the manual says that you cannot use rechargeables because the pack does not have certain safety circuitry. I would like to be able to use rechargeables so that I can recharge them with a portable solar panel on my trip in the mountains. I'm thinking that maybe with a newer model I might be able to do this? Pete
N1TQA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 06:37:56 PM »

Duh, I wasn't thinking. I guess they mean that you cant charge the batteries in the radio. I guess it doesn't matter if the batteries are charged outside of the radio. Anyway, the solar charger can charge its own batteries. They are nickel metal hydride. Will these work in the Yaesu HT? Thanks, Pete
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 08:23:23 PM »

- small size and weight (for carrying in a backpack)
- dual band
- scanning ability
- must be able to use standard batteries if needed (like AA or AAA)
- removable antenna
- other bands like am or fm would be nice but not required
- weather resistant would be good but not required
- priced less than say $400
- must have maximum power output
- operation does not require a degree in computer programming.

Kenwood TH-F6A, meets all of these requests, and costs less as well...  I have a review of it at:
http://nk7z.net/review-of-kenwoods-th-f6-handheld-radio/
or just look at www.nk7z.net, and click Radio Reviews on the right side...

73's,

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
WE7H

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 09:46:29 PM »

Hey Pete,

Not sure if you've made your decision yet, but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents worth in as well.  I just wanted to tell you they've been making the FT-60 for probably close to 10 years.  There's a reason for that.  That dang radio is just about bullet proof.  I have a couple of them and have taken them hunting and camping, all over the place, etc.  They've taken a beating, all scuffed up, bent antenna and still work like champs.  You can not go wrong with the FT-60.

Whatever you get, I hope it serves you well.

73, Ed
N1TQA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 08:43:50 AM »

Thanks for your input Ed. I'm still doing my research. Sounds like a great radio. Pete
KK2DOG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 05:34:00 PM »

If you're going hiking or doing something where a radio may be damaged, why not look at one of them cheap Chinese HT's that are all over the internet for $50.00, that way you're not out much if it breaks or takes a dive. Also, read their reviews here on eHam too.

Amazon Link:  http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ham+radio&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aham+radio
N7KB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 04:22:26 PM »

I have a TH-F6A, but recently picked up one of those $50 dual banders just mentioned. The thought was I would similarly take it on hikes, motorcycle trips, etc. With programming software and $50 a copy, the are almost disposable.  The little Baofeng turns out to be a pretty good while a bit quirky radio.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 09:27:42 AM »

alinco makes some pretty good  HT's, too. Give HRO  Ham radio outlet a call and talk to them about what you want and if is over 100 bucks, you get free shipping too.
KD5FPO

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 11:59:42 PM »

I have to agree with NK7Z, the Kenwood F-6 is a super little radio, as is the Yaesu FT-60, I give the edge to the Kenwood for nothing more than an easier to read display.  But you won't want to run any of the new radios on alkalines, or NiCads, they won't last any time, the new generation of NiMH batteries will amaze you at how well they perform. Recharging is easy, lots of options there. Both rigs are TOUGH, I camp and go off-roading often and both rigs are super reliable. Good luck and tell us what you finally decide upon, and welcome back to ham radio. 73
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: