Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nearly TWO Months now......  (Read 3621 times)
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 06:56:54 AM »

.The Clipperton trip makes no sense to me when one factors in how difficult it is to raise money from the DX community.

To get most very rare DX on the air these days requires as much political negotiating as it does money. It's my understanding that the Clipperton trip helps establish and validate the environmental program that will be used later on Heard.

For a lot of the rare ones (especially US properties) it will only be through coupling with environmental programs and negotiating politics and bureaucracy that activations will be ever possible.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 07:03:03 AM »

For a lot of the rare ones (especially US properties) it will only be through coupling with environmental programs and negotiating politics and bureaucracy that activations will be ever possible.

Absolutely. In fact, I predict that several of the "US F&W" managed entities will actually be activated in the next 5 years, but that DX-peditions will be changing in their approach to accomplish this.

It will be a case of "If you can't beat them, join them".

There are a handful of DX-pedition leaders who are fully capable of doing this - and they are "out of the box" creative thinkers.

AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 07:07:25 AM »

You aren't going to work a new one every week or every month when one is at your level of countries worked.

Obviously, but with nothing even announced for the rest of the year, it does not look good.

I picked up two bandfills today and was very content.

Some are more easily satisfied than others. Bandfills, except on 80, dont interest me.

Most Dxers are not ragchewers. I have lately been getting a lot of satisfaction from simply ragchewing with stations I would normally exchange a report with.

If I had to rely on ragchewing for contentment, there would be spider webs on the rig. Not for me.

Gene, I think it's time you adapt, otherwise you will stop putting on the rig unless a new one is on.  There are many facets to ham radio and I think you need to find a new one.

The rig has been on less than 1 hour total, since Campbell. The 25 or so QSOs were mostly 80m, which I need.

73, Gene AF3Y

« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 07:12:40 AM by AF3Y » Logged
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 07:30:43 AM »

It took me all of January to go through "withdrawal". 2012 was really an amazing year of DX - in some ways the best I have had in the 11 1/2 years I have been in the game.

There are still a good number of the 9 that I still need with someone interested in activating these, and I know that persistence will pay off.

I'm still dreaming of a year where Navassa and Kingman are activated. That would be "epic".

Bouvet and South Sandwich would be nice too.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 07:40:43 AM by KY6R » Logged
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 07:40:09 AM »

I'm still dreaming of a year where Navassa and Kingman are activated. That would be "epic".

I'll take any one of the islands under the control of US F&W.  I don't have any of them!

Jonathan W6GX
EI2GLB

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 09:10:29 AM »

Thing is Chris a lot of us havn't been around a couple of cycles, or maybe only took up DXing in the last few years,
If expedition leaders only ran expeditions to suit Guys like yourself then how would newbies get any of the more rare entities,

And I'm sure it would make sence to you if you needed clipperton for an ATNO,

Trevor
EI2GLB

Anybody who has been around a few cycles has Clipperton worked on many bands.  

The Clipperton trip makes no sense to me when one factors in how difficult it is to raise money from the DX community.

Chris/NU1O
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 09:42:46 AM »

In looking at the 2013 dxpedition announcements I see Juan Fernandez as the highest ranked DXCC at 36 on clublog.  However I haven't see any more details on this dxpedition since the Dec. 2012 announcement.  Once confirmed I'm sure this will get people's blood pressure up.  AND if anyone could activate Juan Fernandez I also see a possibility of an activation at San Felix.  San Felix is at #16.

At this rate the dxpedition of the year award for 2013 might go to Clipperton Shocked  Since it's an ATNO for me they will get my vote Grin

Jonathan W6GX
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 10:07:45 AM »

Look at the last sentence of this article:

http://www.haraoa.com/2013/02/zl9hr-campbell-island-new-zealand.html

Shocked
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 11:35:59 AM »

Four words: oink oink, flap flap.
 Shocked indeed!

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 11:58:44 AM »

Shocked indeed!

Complete this sentence:

If they activate a rare one that I need, I would ____________________......

WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 12:47:42 PM »

KY6R

If they announce activation of a rare one that I need, I will  ___________

1. Contribute to the cost (and I don't mean $5.  At 307, every remaining entity is very rare and expensive.  I am talking about personaly giving a lot more than that as contribution to the cost...especially if it is a South Atlantic...which are the most expensive and difficult).

2. Assist the DXpedition (like you did, RIch) with logistical coordination stateside, QSLing, whatever they need.  I don't have a TON of time, but I do have time and would be willing to assist.

3. Someday (oh, do I have dreams!) I would like participate in the DXpedition itself once we get word of the activation.  I would EAGERLY take time off from work to activate Navassa.  And I would find a way to pay my cost....I would even sell some of my gear to raise funds, and whatever else I had to do.  I don't want to go to the South Atlantic (I HATE cold), but I have no issues with activating a bird-covered island in the tropics...especially if it is in our hemisphere.  Hey, I am low maintenance and a team player.  I'll lift luggage.  I'll run the high speed CW position.  I'll do digital or SSB.  I'll cook.  Whatever is needed.

W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 01:02:20 PM »

Complete this sentence:
If they activate a rare one that I need, I would ____________________......

...be shocked that they'd collect dollar one from the DXing community. But that said, I'd work them, QSL via LoTW and wait for that to show up. Period; unless they develop a radically different financial plan with 100% transparency, they'd not get a penny from me above and beyond the cost to return a physical QSL if it was a new one. Otherwise LoTW only.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 01:12:11 PM »

Just a thought I had the other day after listening to the news.  The president said that the USA was a Pacific power and that was going to be a priority!  If that's the case I would imagine that many of these islands are going to be getting a lot more attention than they have during the previous 30 years.    China is causing a lot of concern and I fully expect that many unmanned locations may become manned or at the least be monitored closely by both the USA and others.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2013, 01:12:24 PM »

I also see a possibility of an activation at San Felix.  San Felix is at #16.
You are Dreaming.

At this rate the dxpedition of the year award for 2013 might go to Clipperton Shocked  Since it's an ATNO for me they will get my vote Grin
It MIGHT, if enough Europeans did not work it the last FEW TIMES it was active. (Just the thought of a "Not even scarce entity" winning that award, makes me queasy.)  I dont think there are that many NA/SA DXers needing it to generate that much hoopla, etc. 73, Gene AF3Y

Jonathan W6GX
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2013, 01:21:43 PM »

Complete this sentence:

If they activate a rare one that I need, I would TRY TO WORK IT, GRIN WIDELY IF SUCCESSFUL PUT IT IN THE LOG, AND SIT ON MY HANDS (like now), WAITING FOR THE NEXT ATNO.

73, Gene AF3Y
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: