Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why should I continue to QSL via the buro?  (Read 3879 times)
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2013, 07:44:40 AM »

I have been using Global QSL for several years and am a happy customer. I have no financial interest in their operation which is based in Israel but it saves me time and money. I designed my own card via their website. I keep a computer log and upload QSOs to their site, they print out the four-color cards with all the QSO info and mail them to the bureaus. It's painless and fast. I can complete nearly 100 cards per hour. I could never do that by hand.

I, too, get a lot of DX cards from places where I already have tons of cards. That's what 40-plus years of active DXing will do for you but if someone sends me a card, I feel obligated to send them one in return -- regardless if I already have 100 cards or more from their country.

And I have been told more than once that my state can be hard to work and hard to confirm. So I am doing my part to help "alleviate" the situation while saving myself time and money by using Global QSL. If you get a lot of bureau cards, you should check them out. Google them for their URL.

73, Dave, N4KZ

Those Global QSLs count with the ARRL?  I have been under the impression the only electronic QSL they accept are their own - LoTW.  If it doesn't count for the most important awards what's the point of using it?

Chris/NU1O

N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2013, 07:52:50 AM »

Those Global QSLs count with the ARRL?  I have been under the impression the only electronic QSL they accept are their own - LoTW.  If it doesn't count for the most important awards what's the point of using it?

"Global QSL" is a company whose model is to print, label, and ship paper QSL cards out via buro. i.e. some of the physical tasks associated with what a traditional QSL manager does, but not the organizational tasks.

I'm not sure I would be able to tell a "Global QSL" paper card from any other paper card that came in via buro, so how would DXCC desk know the difference? I'm sure they apply the same discrimination as they do with any other paper card.

W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2013, 07:54:31 AM »

Global QSLs are real cards. You send them an ADIF file, some money and your QSL card design and they print and send cards out via the bureau system for you. Recipients receive real colour glossy QSL cards. If you're a bureau subscriber you've probably gotten hundreds of them already and never noticed.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2013, 02:40:10 PM »

Global QSLs are real cards. You send them an ADIF file, some money and your QSL card design and they print and send cards out via the bureau system for you. Recipients receive real colour glossy QSL cards. If you're a bureau subscriber you've probably gotten hundreds of them already and never noticed.

I just went through the large batch of German QSLs I am currently working on and I found one Global QSL.  I would not want a picture of a duck on my QSL like the German station selected but the card is of high quality and with the right design I would not have a problem sending them out.

Thanks both for the suggestion and info they count with the ARRL.  I really want everybody to get a QSL in a timely fashion but I am a terrible procrastinator when it comes to filling out these cards.  Once I complete this batch the problem will just reoccur next year so this maybe my solution.
I am going to look at their website for designs and cost.

Chris/NU1O
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2013, 02:48:15 PM »

"Global QSL" is a company whose model is to print, label, and ship paper QSL cards out via buro. i.e. some of the physical tasks associated with what a traditional QSL manager does, but not the organizational tasks.

I'm not sure I would be able to tell a "Global QSL" paper card from any other paper card that came in via buro, so how would DXCC desk know the difference? I'm sure they apply the same discrimination as they do with any other paper card.

You guys were right, I could not tell the difference. I had to look for their small logo. With some of my older cards from the 1980's the labels are starting to fall off. Global prints the data onto the card so in that regard the holder does not have to worry about the data label falling off.

It's a very clever idea.  Wish I'd of thought it.

Chris/NU1O
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2013, 03:52:21 PM »

You can always put "I QSL ONLY with SAE/$$" on your QRZ.com page.

Unless you make it LARGE text and BOLDED, filling half the screen, in 95% or more of the cases, this won't work because people usually do not read the fine print. I know of several folks who are managers for DX and clubs that plainly state 'they do not use the buro' yet I get hundreds of cards a year for each of them from people who don't bother to read or never bother to check. Those buro cards go in the round file Sad It's a shame but that's the process. If you send a card via the buro and get no reply, chances are it ended up in the trash. There is NO method by which to return the cards to the sender with any info as to why on them. Outgoing buro cards are a 'pay to play' venture and us buro volunteers don't pay to send cards back ... neither does the ARRL.

Gene W5DQ
W6 Incoming DX Buro "L" segment sorter

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2013, 04:04:56 PM »

All I know is that it starts out fun and then when you have about 1000+ cards it starts to become a real drag.
At this point If it does not come SASE or SA with $$ I have no intention of replying.  I don't do Buro, I have no plans to get into a 4 year round trip exchange of cards.

Just my 2 cents
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2013, 11:04:07 PM »

All I know is that it starts out fun and then when you have about 1000+ cards it starts to become a real drag.
At this point If it does not come SASE or SA with $$ I have no intention of replying.  I don't do Buro, I have no plans to get into a 4 year round trip exchange of cards.

Just my 2 cents

I like people who are blunt.

Do you feel selfish because you are not reciprocating or do you not give a damn?

Chris/NU1O
KA1J

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2013, 12:17:56 AM »

I use Logic for my logging/awards and it makes it easy to QSL. There are other logging programs that probably do this very well, maybe better, I don't know. But what I do is use the QSL printer feature in Logic. It took me a couple of hours to set it up the way I like 5-6 years ago but it's good enough, not photo quality so there are no photographs on it, just an ARRL insignia and a CW key. When I get a card in I mark it as either a card I owe or, I mark it that I already sent a QSL out and this one came in. Either way, the program fills in the proper information and all I have to do is separate the cards, sign them and send them to the bureau. Not much work and it keeps the records straight.

Gary
KA1J
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2013, 05:47:40 AM »

I use Logic also. I think its great. You can print just labels or the whole doggone card!
WS4T

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2013, 02:39:48 AM »

I'm in the same boat as NU1O: I don't really collect cards at this point and I'm overwhelmed by the bureau cards. It really takes a lot of time to respond by hand.

But I found a pretty efficient solution: BV7 software by DF3CB to print labels. It's a bit prickly to learn to use but I managed to respond to a massive backlog of bureau cards in a few hours. I looked at Global QSL but that seems out of my price range.

Gary, ES1WST
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: