Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 8 - Get your start button back  (Read 9073 times)
KE5JPP

Ignore
« on: February 05, 2013, 05:50:13 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rycUk5kEx0k

See information about Classic Shell at 1:30.  With Classic Shell, Windows 8 even starts at the desktop and not in Metro.
N4AWP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 02:39:31 PM »

Long live XP!!

Art N4AWP
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 05:22:36 PM »

Long live XP!!

Art N4AWP

XP needs to retire and RIP

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 05:52:44 PM »

Long live XP!!

Art N4AWP

XP needs to retire and RIP

My shack computer is XP and I have three spares on the shelf.  The computer in our EOC radio room is XP and I have a spare.  My laptop dedicated to ham radio programs is XP and I have a spare.

LONG LIVE XP

Cause anything that Microsoft has brought out lately is pure garbage.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 07:18:12 PM »

My shack computer is XP and I have three spares on the shelf.  The computer in our EOC radio room is XP and I have a spare.  My laptop dedicated to ham radio programs is XP and I have a spare.

LONG LIVE XP

Clinging to past just ham strings your future growth. Even Vista is a big upgrade over XP with proper hardware and ram. And then there is the memory barrier of XP that Vista, 7 and 8 in 64 bit smash thru. Also advanced power management too that XP does not support and advanced plug and play and many other enhancements.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 09:31:15 PM »

LONG LIVE XP

Clinging to past just ham strings your future growth. Even Vista is a big upgrade over XP with proper hardware and ram. And then there is the memory barrier of XP that Vista, 7 and 8 in 64 bit smash thru. Also advanced power management too that XP does not support and advanced plug and play and many other enhancements.

Of course, your are ignoring a plethora of great amateur radio related programs that either run BADLY or NOT AT ALL on Win7 and now, god forbid, Win8. 

r.e. Vista, my Wife made the unfortunate choice of buying a Dell laptop  with that OS.  She has only had to reload it a half dozen times as it seems to like to destroy  itself while running. 

Plug and Play - are you sure you didn't mean to say Plug and Pray?

BTW have you noticed in all the Win8 ads, you don't see a single user doing ANYTHING useful?

I will use my XP machines till they pry them, cold and broken, from my hands.
KU7PDX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 08:19:04 AM »

We just recently converted all of our computers at work to Windows 8. Classic Shell is good, but I think one that is just a little better is Pokki.

Chris - KU7PDX
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 09:36:44 AM »

Long live XP!!

Art N4AWP

It will until around APRIL 2014 then it dies from lack of support.

I too like the stability that XP seemed to afford me along with the ease at which it seems to work with older hardware. I find Windows 7 a bit finicky about the hardware it will play nice with. Sure it supports all the new stuff but it tends to balk once in a while with older peripherals since there is no support for Win7 compatible drivers, etc. Not pointing fingers here so no need for anyone to launch a "Windows 7 vs Windows XP" firestorm in the thread.

I'm in the 'wait till the end' mode too with my shack PC running a VERY stable Win XP build!!!

Gene W5DQ
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 09:38:51 AM by W5DQ » Logged

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 10:06:28 AM »

Of course, your are ignoring a plethora of great amateur radio related programs that either run BADLY or NOT AT ALL on Win7 and now, god forbid, Win8.  

That is because they are poorly written. XP will tolerated poor code dating to WIN9x platform while newer 64 bit OS's will not. Any program written in proper/modern WIN32 will run fine.

r.e. Vista, my Wife made the unfortunate choice of buying a Dell laptop  with that OS.  She has only had to reload it a half dozen times as it seems to like to destroy  itself while running.

Her mistake was to buy a Dell. It is well known in IT circles that Dell cut corners on Vista machines with non compliant chipsets and not enough ram to boost profit margin. Today Dell is on life support and founder is trying to take it private and abandon consumer PC market. I have a old HP with a Intel quad core and 8 gig that has been running 64 bit Vista for 5+ years flawlessly without a single reload.  

Plug and Play - are you sure you didn't mean to say Plug and Pray?

It was more plug and prey under XP than now. Mature PnP is a product of modern chipsets and modern OS that supports them. XP missed this boat.

BTW have you noticed in all the Win8 ads, you don't see a single user doing ANYTHING useful?

This is because PC is in transition to tablet platform and Win 8 is a big first step. It is a new learning curve. on proper hardware it will track and receive your mail and messages while sleeping. MicroSoft kinda muddied matters with two versions of 8. The tablet RT version runs on a ARM processor (same as Andriod and Apple) and has no legacy support for Win apps. Surface Pro tablets now coming out have Intel processors and run full 8 (same as desktop) with legacy support.  

I will use my XP machines till they pry them, cold and broken, from my hands.

Your loss in long run.

BTW you can even run XP as a guest OS under 64 bit Vista or 7 (or 8 )
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 10:46:26 AM by W8JX » Logged

KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 11:18:42 AM »

I'd agree with you if my windows 2000 machine wasn't still running in 2013  Smiley
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 01:04:25 PM »

I'd agree with you if my windows 2000 machine wasn't still running in 2013  Smiley

It will still run (W2K if hardware is okay) but there no support to fix security issues for it and XP is only receiving security updates and nothing more now.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 07:43:43 AM »

If Win8 has changed appreciably from its pre-beta release, I don't know.  I only know that I got it when it first was offered for testing, and it was such a pain in the backside to try to figure out how to use that I've wiped it off my hard drive.

Win XP was good--very good--once they got the major bugs out of it.  Vista was not because of too many conflicting ideals and features, but the rework of Vista which was called Win 7 wasn't too bad at all, again once they got the major bugs out of it.

Win 8, because of its major changes to enable it to work on touchpad computers and other simplified "anybody can use it" dumbed down computer boxes, is near worthless to most computer users who enjoy being able to use traditional computer systems--unless, of course, those users use multiple add-ons that seem to bring Windows back to the 'Vista' era.

Windows XP and Windows 7 (I have the Win 7 Ultimate edition) are good steady systems--unlike Vista, and offer maximum user control--unlike Win 8.  Microsoft wanted to go general purpose with Win 8, and they have, but I rather control the operating system--rather than have it control me and how I use the computer system I have.

N2UM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 08:22:26 AM »

I went thru the XP to Windows 8 experience without losing too much blood.  Windows 8 seems confusing but the secret is to switch to the desktop instead of trying to use the media screen and loading Classic Shell.  It makes everything much more familiar.  As far as serial ports are concerned, USB to serial adapters with the "Prolific" chipset generally are difficult to get to work.  The "FTDI" chipset works quite well.  I'm sure the Prolific chipset is a driver problem and sooner or later someone will fix that.  I use a Startech four port adapter that is a reasonable cost.  It has a FTDI chipset and was plug & play.  All of my ham radio programs work fine with Windows 8!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 11:25:10 AM »

Win XP was good--very good--once they got the major bugs out of it.  Vista was not because of too many conflicting ideals and features, but the rework of Vista which was called Win 7 wasn't too bad at all, again once they got the major bugs out of it.

Vista was fine on correct hardware. Vista was kinda ahead of hardware for its time and OEM vendors like Dell rushed systems to market that were not Vista compliant on hardware side. HP waited. 7 got a much  better launch because main stream hardware was ready for it and ram was cheaper and systems shipped with more. Vista should have never launched on 512 meg or single core CPU's. With at least 2 gig with 32 bit and decent CPU it played fine. With 64 bit 6 gig of ram or more and a fast CPU it was very solid and fast.

KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 04:40:02 PM »

It never ceases to amaze me how backward hams are when it comes to computer systems.  The pure junk they try to keep running with their crappy outdated operating systems and ancient hardware is just laughable.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: