Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sig/QTH/Name/WX/Age Boring QSO's? How to improve?  (Read 996 times)
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009, 03:34:57 PM »

R R R solid copy OM ok on millie ur dog having fleas -- ok on ur wx too es ok on everything being ok.
N0NS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 03:49:04 PM »

I personally find that when I have a faster QSO vs a slower QSO, it leaves the door open for exchanging more information and having better QSO's overall.

When you send code fast, you can get the name, RST, power/ANT, and QTH knocked out pretty quickly.  After that, I try to talk about what's going on that day, or if I look the other op up on QRZ, I try to key into something based on their bio.  

My slow speed CW experience also has shown me that there is a higher chance of QSB/QRN/QRM killing the QSO before anything useful gets transmitted.

Gud luck!

73  Joe N0NS
KB9BVN

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 10:18:11 AM »

I love to ragchew. I used to keep a date book near the operating position and if I found a good ragchew I'd ask the Op if he'd like to go in my sched book for a weekly or bi-weekly QSO.  80% of the time they said yes...and after a few months of this I had stations to chat with almost every night. I kind of got sidetracked and haven't done that in a few years, worked so well I quit...I guess.  I have found the best way to get a Wisconsin OP to chew the rag, is to just mention the Green Bay Packers...then sit back and get ready to copy. I also QRS on most ragchews...it makes us both a little comfortable, and the QSO lasts longer.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 11:34:46 AM »

From WIK:  "R R R solid copy OM ok on millie ur dog having fleas -- ok on ur wx too es ok on everything being ok."

I remember a QST article from back when I was first licensed, expressing just the same sentiments about CW QSOs in them days.  Only difference was that the dog had "the mange", IIRC.

Pat K7KBN

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
AD7WN

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2009, 06:40:33 PM »

How do we get a real qso going?

Well, it isn't all that hard.  After exchanging rst, handle and qth, i just start swapping sea stories: the time in the army when i had a bc-610 mounted in the back of a truck with a generator hauled in a trailer and we called it a "mobile," how well a 1000' long wire worked from fairbanks into the lower 48, how on a hot day i saw a dog chasing a rabbit and it was so hot they were both walking.  Usually the other op will respond with his best yarn.  We can swap stories like that for hours.  It isn't that hard to get a ragchew going.

Just my 2 cents worth :-)

73 de John/AD7WN
N2UGB

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2009, 06:09:20 PM »

I find the best QSOs on week-days, mid-morning to mid-afternoon. Many of the operators you hear are retired senior citizens, sometimes widowers or with wives out with their lady-friends.  They are happy to shoot the breeze with other cw operators and are not speed-deamons...though they could be if required.

If you are working but find yourself at home at those times and days mentioned, listen around.
KT1F

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 09:44:20 AM »

Interesting discussion. All good comments.

The boring QSO is driving me away from PSK and back to CW because I find that I'm more likely to have a real conversation on CW. Also if I'm using a key rather than a keyboard it just feels a bit more of a personal connection.

PSK is really bad in this regard. I really don't care what type of laptop someone has or what version of Windows they're running. And then there's the "thank you for this <mode> qso on <freq> at <date> <time>". I know that info, I'm here too.

Of course language plays a part of you're working non English speaking DX.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: