Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FRG-7 question  (Read 11239 times)
W7GIF

Ignore
« on: January 27, 2013, 11:02:19 AM »

I recently acquired a very nice frog7 (unmodified/unmolested). There is one function/feature that seems uncoventional. The front end "ATTEN" switch positions offer maximum sensitivity in the "NOR"(mal) position, and about 20db down in the "LOCAL" position, and 10db down in the "DX" position. Since I thought the "DX" position should offer the maximum sensitivity, I checked the schematic, and it sure looks as though the frog is functioning as designed, with attenuation of signal in both the "LOCAL" and "DX" modes, and unattenuated (maximum sensitivity) in the "NOR"mal mode. Can anyone confirm that what I'm observing on this frog is typical/normal for the frog7?
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 12:44:42 PM »

Yes, what you are seeing is normal for an FRG-7.  It's just the way they labelled the front panel on the radio, just a labelling peculiarity.

Also (and you probably already know this) when the MHz selector is on frequency, the red LED turns OFF.  Another peculiarity.  Fun radio, though.  Works especially well on MW.
W7GIF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 07:03:59 AM »

Yes, what you are seeing is normal for an FRG-7.  It's just the way they labelled the front panel on the radio, just a labelling peculiarity.

Also (and you probably already know this) when the MHz selector is on frequency, the red LED turns OFF.  Another peculiarity.  Fun radio, though.  Works especially well on MW.
Thanks for the confirmation. Neither of these "features" are typical of what I've come to expect from Yaesu. I'm a BIG Yaesu fan. Although it might be seen as "heresy" by frog7 purists, mod of the "lock" led circuit to invert the led drive logic and replacing the red led with a green led would certainly be more conventional. The frog7 is a great little SWL receiver.......very sensitive. I've also discovered that at least on my receiver, the internal speaker has a much lower output than an external 4ohm speaker. I use a Heathkit HS-1661 whose impedance (at 1 KHz) measures 4 ohms. The HS-1661 is my go-to, favorite communications speaker.....very efficient, and true communications quality audio response.

Thanks again...
W7GIF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 10:21:30 PM »

Thanks for the confirmation. Neither of these "features" are typical of what I've come to expect from Yaesu. I'm a BIG Yaesu fan. Although it might be seen as "heresy" by frog7 purists, mod of the "lock" led circuit to invert the led drive logic and replacing the red led with a green led would certainly be more conventional. The frog7 is a great little SWL receiver.......very sensitive. I've also discovered that at least on my receiver, the internal speaker has a much lower output than an external 4ohm speaker. I use a Heathkit HS-1661 whose impedance (at 1 KHz) measures 4 ohms. The HS-1661 is my go-to, favorite communications speaker.....very efficient, and true communications quality audio response.

Thanks again...
Well, the PLL "LOCK" indicator on my frog7 is now a green LED that is "ON" when the synthesized heterodyne oscillator is locked, and extinguished when the oscillator is unlocked. Since I power from the AC line,and not the battery pack, the extra 20 ma during normal operation isn't a concern. I'm guessing that Yaesu used the inverted logic for the "LOCK" LED to minimize current drain when using battery power.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: