Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KH0  (Read 1144 times)
W6GX

Ignore
KH0
« on: February 04, 2013, 05:34:53 PM »

This is a surprise operation for me. I never saw any announcements until it was spotted. The pile up was an absolute zoo!  The op seems not able to control the pile up. He went by the numbers for a brief moment then without explanation stopped calling by numbers. Also he kept repeating his long callsign and IOTA number after every contact. I don't know how but I finally got through. It's a new one for me.

Jonathan W6GX
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 07:08:21 PM »

What was the call?

I worked AH0BT a few times.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 07:29:12 PM »

It's HK0/F6BFH – San Andres & Providencia.  I have never heard them on the air before.  He's currently on 30m but just above the noise here in CO.

Jonathan W6GX
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 01:15:05 AM »

HK0 is not KH0.  it looks like you transposed letters.

I did not hear anything about the HK0 trip but San Andreas is a realitevely rare one.  Perhaps this is his first expedition.

Chris/NU1O

W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 06:08:17 AM »

HK0 is not KH0.  it looks like you transposed letters.

I did not hear anything about the HK0 trip but San Andreas is a realitevely rare one.  Perhaps this is his first expedition.

Chris/NU1O

Thanks for catching the mistake.  It seems I can't revise the subject heading.  Perhaps if the moderator is reading this he could do it for me.

I did a quick google on the op and he is an experienced IOTA dxpeditioner.  I'm not complaining about him.  I just feel sorry for the guy when the crowd gets very unruly, which was what happened yesterday on 20m.

I know that most of you already have San Andreas.  Since I have never heard them on the air I was quite excited to see this operation.

Jonathan W6GX
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 06:34:04 AM »

HK0BKX was quite easy to work when I first started DXing, but he passed away 15 to 20 years ago.  AFAIK there nobody has his logs, but I also worked N3JT/HK0.

Zack W1VT
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 06:43:39 AM »

I just worked him again on 20m RTTY.  There's no guessing on what frequency he's listening to.  When he works split he only listens to one frequency.  I learned this from my contact made yesterday.

It seems that not many people here need San Andres.  I looked up the island on wikipedia and was surprised to see a population of 67,000 on the island.  Since I haven't heard them before I assume that there's no active ham living on the island.  I've only been licensed since 2009.

GL to those who need San Andres.

Jonathan W6GX
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 09:36:53 AM »

t San Andreas is a realitevely rare one. 

It's #86 on ClubLog's MWL but tends to show up every year.

https://secure.clublog.org/mostwanted2.php?dxcc=216
N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 02:49:57 AM »

HK0 used to be relatively common but in recent years, activity has waned.  I still need it on any band from here in KH2. 

San Andres is a great place to visit.  It's a wonderful island - sort of an "off the beaten path" tourist destination.

Not sure why activity has dropped off from there as it used to be a great place for contest expeditions.  I recall hearing some fall-out between local HK ops and foreigners operating portable from mainland Columbia; perhaps something has changed as far as licensing goes but I am purely speculating.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: