Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to ten meters  (Read 3625 times)
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2013, 10:35:10 PM »

There is local 10 Meter ground wave activity in some parts of the country.  If you use a vertical like the A-99, you could reach stations up to around 50 miles away if they have a similar antenna.  CBers on 11 Meters  do it often with just 5 watts on AM or SSB.

There isn't any ground wave on 10 meters. Wink

If CBers are working each other over 50-mile paths with 5W and an omnidirectional vertical on each end, that must be a very "flat" terrain place (Florida?).  It ain't happening here.
   Well I certainly don't think that those 50 mile contacts on 10 Meters are "skip"!  Yes, terrain absolutely does have a great deal to do with it.  As a CBer back in the day on Long Island NY (which is basically flat), I would often on quiet evenings make contacts with other stations 50 miles away on AM, and even longer distances with SSB.  I was using a basic 5 watt CB unit with a half wave vertical, reaching many other stations at that distance who were using similar radios and antennas. 
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: