Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to work both Korea's  (Read 4599 times)
W2NK

Ignore
« on: February 06, 2013, 06:57:29 AM »

All it takes apparently, is switching your brand of mac & cheese.....

http://vimeo.com/54892553
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 07:15:56 AM »

BEST.  COMMERCIAL.  EVER.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 07:23:42 AM »

Someone needs to make call letter signs that look like they were made with Velveeta. I lost 30 lbs this past year - so Velveeta will never be on my diet - but as a call letter sign - why not?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 07:30:04 AM by KY6R » Logged
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 07:24:39 AM »

Imagine if Ten-Tec, Elecraft, Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu were all buying spots in the Superbowl?

Would be even better than an ad showing a CB tuned to channel 33 :-)

Tim.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 07:30:05 AM »

Imagine if Ten-Tec, Elecraft, Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu were all buying spots in the Superbowl?

Would be even better than an ad showing a CB tuned to channel 33 :-)

Tim.

Those companies would not be able to afford a 30 second Super Bowl commercial.  I think Super Bowl ads were selling for almost $2 million for 30 seconds. Plus, about 1 in a 1,000 viewers have a ham license so why advertise to a demogaphic which does not own your product?

What I don't understand is how this commercial helps sell more Velveeta cheese?

Chris/NU1O
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 07:42:15 AM »

Those companies would not be able to afford a 30 second Super Bowl commercial.

You have a point.

I remember when I was a kid, the ARRL was running ads promoting ham radio in several boys' magazines, and it was not unusual to see ham equipment ads and articles in the pop-science and "Popular Mechanics" magazines. And of course "Popular Electronics", "Radio-Electronics", "CQ", and "Ham Radio" magazines were all on the more fully stocked newsstands.

With the internet, I'm not sure that we would need any 30-second spots, just a short little spot reminding folks how fun ham radio is, and a URL for more information.
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 07:55:02 AM »

I heard this year a 30 second spot went as high as 3.8 million.
Thats a LOT of radios.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 10:28:46 AM »

Thats a LOT of radios.

Well, instead of using it to directly sell radios, maybe something better? Maybe ARRL could team up with NFL to make a clever little 10 or 30 second "public service" spot, highlighting ham radio, make it look cool (which it is!), and get it on the air during NFL games for free.
W2NK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 10:32:59 AM »

What I don't understand is how this commercial helps sell more Velveeta cheese?

Chris/NU1O

Guess you don't need P5 Chris. The local DX club is already seeing if we can get Velveeta served at dinner Friday:)
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 11:51:49 AM »

I lost 30 lbs this past year - so Velveeta will never be on my diet

I lost 80 pounds last year, so it's not on my diet either.  Neither is Korea - Got 'em both.

73 All,

Don, K2DC
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 11:56:39 AM »

What about that GoDaddy commercial?  instead of that chubby kid with glasses, put me in there with a CW paddle and a headset, then let me rip it off and kiss Bar Rafaeli.  Now THAT would be a great commer....whoops, XYL just walked in.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 12:19:55 PM »

TV commercial idea:  Or even better, put Bar Rafaeli at the controls of a rig. 

Remember that CQ Magazine calendar from a few years ago?  It had some young girl posing in front of the ham gear (I don't think she was a licensed ham).  My dad sent that to me as a joke for the ham shack. 

My XYL said she felt such pity for that poor girl in the calendar, said that model was humiliated and scarred for life and probably quit modeling after that and ended up on skid row as a result of such a traumatic experience.  Posing for a ham radio calendar.  Why would that be so  traumatic?   Grin

http://lh4.ggpht.com/-7y_DaFZ07jE/TnmVW5unTII/AAAAAAAABKo/o86JyBXIVpo/03-yl-hamradio_by-m0eeg.jpg  I don't think this was the girl, she had dark hair as I recall, but I cannot find the calendar online.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 01:21:33 PM »

Thats a LOT of radios.

Well, instead of using it to directly sell radios, maybe something better? Maybe ARRL could team up with NFL to make a clever little 10 or 30 second "public service" spot, highlighting ham radio, make it look cool (which it is!), and get it on the air during NFL games for free.

At the risk of being called a doomsayer not yet 24 hours after being labeled as selfish because I think buro QSLing is boring and a waste of time, let me add this to the list: If a hobby has to advertise to recruit new members it's probably too late to do any good.  You either enjoy talking to other countries using SW radio or you don't, and most of us developed an affinity for the hobby when we were young kids.  Although I am not entirely in tune with today's youth I do know ham radio is not something they are interested in.  I can't recall the last time I talked to a new ham who was a teenager, or a ham in their 20's for that matter. The new hams I speak to are adults, usually in their 40's or 50's.

Can anybody think of any other hobby which runs ads to try and gain new members? 

Chris/NU1O
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 05:07:16 PM »

Chris, that's kind of a selfish comment.  Grin  (Just teasing, of course..and I do understand your points about QSLing via the buro.  You put together a well-written discourse as I read it).

Why don't kids have any interest in amateur radio?  Is it not hip enough?  Are they more enthralled with cell phones and tablets?  Well heck, the SDR would be the thing that entices them!

I am 48.  Been a ham since I was 13.  I am an Electrical Engineer and into computers, but also enjoy teams and project management (I am not anti-social).  But my brain is analytical at its core.  I "get" math and science, esp physics. 

I don't see many kids interested in engineering and math subjects that would tie in with electrical engineering and radio.  I think it's more about the dumbing down of our society.  A lot of them seem to be going for the touchy feely and basket-weaving types of degrees that require no hard math or science...but consequently won't land them a job upon graduation (and THAT is why they move back in after grad, no skills and no confidence/motivation/pride). 

Also, there's a lot of quick attention captures (similar to ADD) that if it is not shiny and impressive, it gets boring quickly.  Most kids I talk to today (and a lot of adults under 30) have no grasp of world geography, could care less about international politics and ramifications like the Middle East (like Iran and the nuke threat).  Ask them about where we have troops, they are clueless.

It's all about "what is in it for me." 

Sorry for the rant, I know adults talked about me like that when I was a kid, but it's different this time.  I think the decrease in youth in our hobby is symptomatic of the problems with our society.  And you are right, Chris...adverts won't help our hobby.  Even if Bar Rafaeli is in front of the rig.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 06:13:06 PM »

Most kids I talk to today (and a lot of adults under 30) have no grasp of world geography, could care less about international politics and ramifications like the Middle East (like Iran and the nuke threat).  Ask them about where we have troops, they are clueless.

Oh, SO true, and it runs me up the wall. How can ANYONE not give a damn about what's going on around them?
I am a self-described "Information Junkie", and uninformed people just are NOT going to make it in today's world. They wont make it in next year's world, or the next, or the next............

(sorry for wandering in on your post to Chris. hi)

73, Gene AF3Y
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: