Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Current Technician Exams  (Read 1555 times)
WA3TJO

Ignore
« on: February 06, 2013, 04:46:44 PM »

It's been a LONG time since I took my exams. My wife is studying for Technician. Question: is it permitted to bring a standard NON memory basic calculator to the test?
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 05:06:06 PM »

yes

Even common sense needs to be applied to calculators that have the basic M+ type functions. It is not as if you are going to store electromagnetic theory, ohms law, time constants, frequency/wavelength calculations in them.

It is pretty easy to spot a scientific type function calculator that has "smarts". Those are not permitted. I keep a cheapo +-*/ calculator in my purse if someone needs to borrow one during a test session.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 05:09:27 PM by AA4HA » Logged

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
WA3TJO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 05:30:08 PM »

Thanks so much from me, Mary, a future Ham Operator. I take my test on March 2nd. Passing all the practice exams so far. Thanks again. 73, Mary
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 05:36:53 PM »

Mary,
Good luck, you are not alone! We need more YL's on the air, someone has to be common-sense around here. <lol>

73' hope to hear you on the air,

Tisha

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 05:39:15 PM »

Memory and scientific calculators are permitted, as long as you can prove to the examiners that you've cleared it.

We always have a supply of calculators, including scientific models, that candidates can borrow for the exam.
K3NPO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 09:30:44 PM »

Thanks so much from me, Mary, a future Ham Operator. I take my test on March 2nd. Passing all the practice exams so far. Thanks again. 73, Mary

I'm sure you'll do fine! By the time you're passing all the practice exams it's definitely time to test and get it out of the way Smiley

Cat, K3NPO
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 04:07:11 AM »

It's even permitted to bring a calculator with a memory, but you'll have to verify that nothing is stored in it.

Don, K2DC
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 06:06:59 AM »

Show your mettle and use a slide rule.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 06:10:43 AM »

An Abacus is much more fun - a little noisy when used though.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 09:50:20 AM »

You don't need any of those. just take off your shoes and  count fingers and  toes.  BTW you can have her do practice tests here on eham , look to the left side info bar and pick ham exams, or qrz for practice tests.
NR4C

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 10:48:05 AM »

I believe there is a section in the Tech manual that describes what to expect at the session, what to bring, and what not to bring.  Maybe you both should read that very crefully.  Also, check out the NCVEC Form 605 at http://www.arrl.org/files/file/ncvec605-3.pdf.  you may fill this out at home and take it with you to the session and save the time filling it out there.  At home you can use the computer to fill in the form, and then print it.  And, don't forget the two forms of ID, at least one must be a photo id.

Good luck and "See you on the radio."

...bill  nr4c
N9ZMO

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 10:14:46 AM »

Good luck on the upcoming test.  I am part of a VE test session and we adhere to the guidelines the ARRL has published on their site for test taking, http://www.arrl.org/what-to-bring-to-an-exam-session.

Our team does have pencils, scratch paper and a spare calculator or two available as well.

73, Kurt
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 11:34:27 AM »

I used a TI-83+ for all the tests, although I wasn't asked if the memory was cleared  Cheesy

Even for the Extra, it's more concept-oriented - you're not going to be building multivariable models that need serious computing power.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: