The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rig Control for Alinco DX-SR8  (Read 9997 times)
W8ADQ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 12:33:57 AM »

Sorry that I can't post any work with regards to the Alinco command set.  Another poster sadly was quick to point out legal liability issues.  I've been designing systems to component level and writing directly in raw machine code (octal back then) since the 70's.  I've managed IT departments and R&D teams.

Through it all, I've always believed in sharing my personal electronics and software hobby creations and discoveries, but the chilling effect of mentioning litigation means that I must protect myself.  I am disabled now, and have no time or money for legal nonsense.

It is in no small part ironic that my efforts were inspired by the software created by the fellow who worked hard to understand the ins and outs of the software serial command set of the FT-817 to create FT-817 Commander.  I still count on it to be able to restore the EEPROM calibration data should the need arise.

I am also thankful to all those who went before the current trend to drag everything into court.  Thanks to their hard work, there are third party software solutions for other pieces of gear, like the IC-PCR1000 and the VR-500.  This new trend might also bring the end of trial versions or evaluation periods of commercial software.

Even if the developing company did everything right, it costs money in legal fees to prove.  Not a good path for us all.  I miss the old days.

The good news is that folks well outside of this regional jurisdiction will likely be able to contribute to the art and also financially benefit from their discoveries.  I have no doubt that they will be unafraid to tread where it is no longer safe for us.  At least someone, somewhere will be able to innovate in the old spirit of amateur radio.
 It is to whoever fills those shoes that I look to for innovation, and if possible, more affordable control software for the DX-SR8.

How well a software package performs with a rig that you don't own and isn't in the shack may be mildly interesting to know, but has no bearing on the problem at hand, which is contolling the DX-SR8.

At least someone or some company "out of lawsuit range" is likely to appear.  After all, there is money to be made. Sad
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 03:26:28 PM by W8ADQ » Logged
KC9QVL

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2015, 09:46:39 PM »

Looks like latest realease of HRD has fixed some of the cat control issues for the DX-SR8.

Fixes should effect the DX-SR9 also. Will have to download and test.
W8ADQ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2015, 10:43:15 AM »

The more I think about this, the worse I feel.  I had already become disabled and lost my life long career.  I live in acute physical pain.  I suffer from PTSD.   I had a fun, amateur radio related hobby project that I just wanted to share with others.  Bringing in the spectre of liability and litigation has greatly increased my stress.  I already have to take antidepressants.

I am ashamed that some seem to be slowly losing the spirit of sharing and comradery that was once the shining beacon of technology, research, and innovation that were the hallmarks of this hobby.  The tactics of focusing only on the bottom line and discouraging alternatives do not belong in the amateur radio community.  We have quite enough of that elsewhere.  Study how companies and their associates behave and cast your vote with your purchasing power.

The whole world watches us.  Once, long ago, amateur radio was a valuable if not indeed crucial alternative for federal communications, and many hams signed up and went to war, innovating the radio art as they served.  We now live in a very different world.  Few of us have specialized security clearances and none of us are permitted to use encryption on ham bands.  Governments have spent huge sums of money on complex encrypted satellite and land radio systems.  Huge companies have large budgets to develop specialized components and systems.  We can watch MARS slipping away.

Any actions taken to discourage discovery and innovation will add to a long term chilling effect on sharing our inventions and discoveries with our peers.  From the outside looking in, it will begin to appear that ham radio has run its course and offers little if anything beyond the federal supplier's research lab's creations, classified and encryption ready, and able to seamlessly link with systems already in place.

The spectrum space that we are allowed to use was with the understanding that we provided forward momentum of the radio art.  So what next?  A new "darknet" where hams can safely and anonymously share discoveries?

And why, oh why are basic things like the DX-SR8 serial control commands not freely given to its' purchasers?  The user manual said that it was capable of computer control.  Silly me, I expected to be able to download a PDF file and move forward.

The wolves are howling at the door.  Our spectrum allocations are worth serious money.  We have to do more than use them to not lose them.

There is starting to be writing on the wall.  For me it started with the chilling effect of having to pull all of my research on the DX-SR8 from the Internet in order to protect myself.  And that's just sad.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 11:54:39 AM by W8ADQ » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: