The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone use a Windows CE Netbook for Amateur Radio?  (Read 4451 times)
W4KYR

Ignore
« on: February 07, 2013, 06:29:49 AM »

Does anyone use a Windows CE Netbook for Amateur Radio?

If so, can you use the Signalink or Rigblaster with it? Does it have hyperterminal? Ham radio apps?

Still using Windows 98  ------------------ for Packet Radio.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 04:34:47 PM »

Yes I realize this post is nearly 2 1/2 years old. I saw that I didn't get an response, maybe I'll bump this, reword it a bit and have better luck this time.

Does anyone use those $75 Windows 6.0 CE notebooks on eBay for ham radio? Does it come with hyper terminal or some kind of communications software that could be used with Packet Radio?

Can Rigblasters or Signal Link be used on these? What about ham radio software like PSK31?

What is the battery life on these Win CE notebooks? A couple of hours? Less than one hour?

Thanks in advance....

K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 06:14:19 PM »

Win CE is not "real" Windows. Software has to be compiled for CE.

W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 08:46:14 AM »

Does Windows CE come with hyper terminal or some kind of communications program? And has anyone here been able to use it for packet? 

KC9YTJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 10:26:55 AM »

Why not try something like a Dell Latitude 2100 with XP, instead?  They generally run under $100 and the used computer market is saturated with them (they were intended for classrooms so Dell sold a bazillion of them, apparently).  Nice little netbook with a 10" screen and a rubberized, easy to grip case (very hard for even my arthritic hands to drop).  Most of them I'm seeing for sale have Windows 7 on them, though, but the one my wife bought several years ago had XP, so I know they'll run it. 

I bought one for myself recently and converted it from a standard hard drive to a Crucial BX100 SSD drive, and added another gig of RAM to max it at 2GB.  It's pretty snappy, all things considered.  Screen's a little too small for PSK/JT modes, but if you had HyperTerminal on it, it would probably be just right for packet.  (In fact that was my original rationale for buying it...I named it PACKY Smiley )  But I haven't gotten around to doing that yet, so I use it mostly to take minutes for lodge meetings now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: