Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Repeater Coverage in Western Canada - Alaska  (Read 9079 times)
WB0UPD

Ignore
« on: February 07, 2013, 07:15:47 AM »

Headed to Alaska Via Trans-Canadian Hiway system early this summer. Bringing a little Alinco HT 2 m/ 70cm with me in the pickup and evenings in the camper/motel.   Got the new Repeater Directory coming in the mail. I plan to purchase a magnetic antenna before the trip for the roof of the pickup.

So what can I expect for coverage on either band when I get north of Dawson Creek and on the Alaskan highway?
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 03:19:07 PM »

You might want to take along a portable 2M/440 beam.  It could come in handy from areas that are far from repeaters.
VA7ICT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 05:46:32 PM »

Will this help
 BC & Yukon coordinated repeaters  http://www.bcarcc.org/]http://www.bcarcc.org/[/url]

This is the largest linked repeater group in the province
http://norac.bc.ca/hosted/sirg/User%20SIRG%20Map%20June%2010%202010.pdf

Ian
VA7ICT
WB0UPD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 08:27:33 AM »

Thank you! Exactly what I need to do some programing in my new to me HT.   Bill WB0UPD
VA7BC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 12:37:17 PM »

Just a note that British Columbia is vast and largely not served by repeaters.   Many of us monitor 146.52 simplex  when traveling outside urban areas. 

Also HF is your friend if traveling in BC.   If you have the luxury of having a mobile HF rig or small portable HF rig a lot of hams in BC monitor 3729 KHz throughout the day and night.   The BC Public Service Net occurs at (I believe) 01h30Z on that frequency every evening.

Hope this helps.  Have a safe trip.

Greg
VA7BC
WB0UPD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 05:09:36 PM »

Greg, thanks for the reply.  I used to have an HF rig at home but the antenna was the problem.  With what limited space I had, got one up but was taken down in a major ice storm.  I may go with something other than a HT for travel, a more powerful 2 meter rig and a good antenna for my Chevy pick up.

I have relatives in Dawson Creek, and will stay a couple days there.  Then up to Skagway and ferry over to Juneau for another visit with more retired folks.
VE7NAE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 06:21:08 PM »

For the Yukon Territory leg of your trip on the Alaska Highway, The Yukon Amateur Radio Association has an excellent system of linked 2m repeaters that also includes the road south to Skagway, AK. Details & map here. http://yara.ca/repeaters/repeaters.htm

The BC Public Service Net is indeed held at 0130z (6:30pm summer time) on 3729 kHz. The most northerly Net Control Station is the one in Quesnel that covers Tuesday nights.

You should be aware that BC highways have little cellphone coverage even in the populated south (it's not quite an election issue, but the incumbent government mentioned upcoming improvements in their pre-election feel-good ads!), and in northern BC there is almost no cellular service at all. For coverage maps, if you're an AT&T or T-Mobile customer, the major GSM provider is Rogers; if Sprint or Verizon, the major CDMA provider is Telus. I have been told by truckers that nobody listens to CB up there anymore, trucks all use commercial frequencies around 155 MHz FM. But in the summer the Alaska Highway is busy enough, you won't have to wait long before you have a chance to flag someone down.

Nelson VE7NAE (ex-VE8NE/VY1)
WB0UPD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 05:31:59 AM »

Awesome, exactly what I was needing!  And I did acquire a HF rig, a old Kenwood TS-130 and a MFJ tuner so I could bring that along also.  Plan on a long wire tied to the camper awning pole and out as far as I can and tied again. The HF rig will be more of we are here for a few days waiting out the rain activity.

One last un- related to Ham radio question. Plans are to bring a Canadian approved bear spray along for the bears. Or plan B a shotgun with bear loads IE slugs.
 Why?   We may at times not be in a campground and may be off the trail panning for gold or just exploring.  I would just as soon not deal with bringing a shotgun into Canada unless its really needed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: