The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Staying on topic...  (Read 6674 times)
NA4IT

Ignore
« on: April 25, 2015, 04:49:29 AM »

There is a huge amount of topic drift on eHam Forums. Some from folks that just don't think, and some from trolls that regularly attack people here.

I recently viewed a good topic that had to do with a piece of equipment being restored. Started out well written, even with good pictures. Then the drift started and never went back to the real topic. Two whole pages of junk that didn't apply, and two or three users arguing their point that didn't have beans to do about the topic.

I would suggest to the moderators that you search out assistant moderators to manage each forum section, and when topic drift happens, remove the offender's post, and send a warning message. After a couple of time, restrict or ban the user.

I am a member of other forums that have to do with my hobbies, and they are highly moderated, with thousands of users, and are a joy to use. And yes, they have multiple moderators, and do stop topic drift dead in it's tracks.

Topic drift is what kills most forums. The people that really wanted to learn and share just quit coming. eHam may be well on it's way.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 05:00:11 AM »

I would suggest to the moderators that you search out assistant moderators to manage each forum section, and when topic drift happens, remove the offender's post, and send a warning message. After a couple of time, restrict or ban the user.

+1

I don't understand why they don't have helpers. There's plenty of dedicated users who would do it. All they would have to do is ask and they'd have more volunteers than they could use. All the moderation tools are built in to SMF - like splitting threads and so on. But I've never even seen even a basic tool like splitting a thread that got off topic used.

Beats me why they don't ask for help.  Huh
KA0SBL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 12:18:01 PM »

Regarding trolls: people that just want to mouth off on the keyboard ruin an otherwise productive thread and discourage others from asking questions. Ever notice how much of that comes from those w/o a valid call sign? I'd like to see some more moderation of this on eham forums.

On being off-topic: for example, someone asks about switching vs linear power supplies and it winds up being about dog chew toys. Perhaps disappointing when the OP was hoping for more info, otherwise it's a benign issue as long as it stays friendly. I think this tends to happen when everyone has said all they know about the original subject but aren't done talking! Isn't that what we do when we're on the air?  ;]

But how much moderation is too much and someone gets on a power trip? For example, I'm in a computer networking class where students get instructor-based attitude for asking questions that aren't precisely on the final exam. Since nobody knows what's on the exam until we take it, nobody wants to post any questions because they don't want the attitude, so the discussion area is dead. As is the extended learning process.

So then someone needs to moderate the helper moderators. Seems like business of moderating isn't an easy job!

-K
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 12:42:23 PM »

The report feature should be a sufficient helper, provided it has a text box to describe the offense. I have not used the feature yet.

If I wanted moderators on power trips, I would post in that scanner forum, which shall remain nameless.

WD8T

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 01:28:03 PM »

Some from folks that just don't think, and some from trolls that regularly attack people here.

Two whole pages of junk that didn't apply, and two or three users arguing their point that didn't have beans to do about the topic.

The internet IS mostly posts going off topic and people arguing.  This is true here and on every other forum I belong to. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 01:30:09 PM by WD8T » Logged
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 03:37:33 AM »

The internet IS mostly posts going off topic and people arguing.  This is true here and on every other forum I belong to. 

Yep.  And, insisting that the moderators become content police would be unwieldy.  For every "offended" person, or those upset at thread topic veers, there are many more who roll their eyes at these whiners.  The moderators can't be expected to make the entire site cozy and warm for everybody. 
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 05:31:08 AM »

Yep.  And, insisting that the moderators become content police would be unwieldy.  For every "offended" person, or those upset at thread topic veers, there are many more who roll their eyes at these whiners.  The moderators can't be expected to make the entire site cozy and warm for everybody. 

As a mod on two internet forums (non-ham related), I can support what you are saying.  Unless a thread degenerates into something that breaks forum rules, we rely on the membership to bring it back on topic as we have enough other things to do.  With extremely few exceptions, roles of moderators are voluntary and as such, our time is limited. Occasionally, we may make a post to steer posters back to the original topic, but expecting us to monitor every thread for such activity is unrealistic.  And the fewer mods a forum has, the more unrealistic this becomes.
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 07:41:09 AM »

Now...where's that thumbs-up icon when you need it...

Wink

Mike N2MG
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 05:07:13 PM »

There is a huge amount of topic drift on eHam Forums. Some from folks that just don't think, and some from trolls that regularly attack people here.

I like the green enchilada sauce better than the red enchilada sauce.  But they're both good!

And anybody who doesn't like enchiladas is a MORON!

;-)

N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 05:42:08 PM »

I like the green enchilada sauce better than the red enchilada sauce.  But they're both good!

And anybody who doesn't like enchiladas is a MORON!

;-)

Exactly!  Wink
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 07:51:30 AM »

The moderators can't be expected to make the entire site cozy and warm for everybody. 

Exactly.  Moderation=Censorship

Topic drift= thread hijacking
It happens a lot anywhere on the net.
The alternative is letting someone decide what you should read.

I will take thread hijacking any day over censorship.
The ignore button can make you cozy and warm. Censor what YOU read not what I read!! If I wanted cozy and warm I would shut down my internet connection.

Stan K9IUQ
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 08:37:33 PM »

Topics are topics. If you have a reply to a topic, then quote the OP or the last relevant post. Whining about hijackers makes you an ineffectual whinebag. Don't be an ineffectual whinebag. Be a topic conductor.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 04:18:34 AM »

I've been away from radio (and from eham) for a couple of years.  I'm happy to see that some things have not changed a bit.

If you write a message on eham about how your ABC-1000 seems to be overheating during RTTY contests, you will get three helpful friendly replies.  You will also get these replies:

Someone who will angrily say you SHOULD have gotten the XYZ-220 because someone at Dayton told him how much better it was.  (This will spark an entire sub-discussion about ABC vs. XYZ, which may safely be ignored.)

The ABC vs. XYZ sub-discussion will spawn its own offspring when someone uses the thread to complain about MFJ products.  This will create the biggest sub-discussion of all.

Someone else will blame your PC's operating system, resulting in another long acrimonious sub-discussion about operating systems.

A half-dozen people will insult and deride you for not being "ham enough" to resolve the problem on your own.  You will be accused of being a whiner, a poltroon, and a cad.

Another dozen posters will start sub-discussions about how hams back in the OLD days could have fixed the problem but the FCC has cheapened the licenses.

There will be at least one bizarre message that appears to be an insult but which is written in such primitive English that you can't be sure.

Concentrate on the helpful friendly replies and ignore the other people.   ;-)
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 07:03:58 AM »

I've been away from radio (and from eham) for a couple of years.  I'm happy to see that some things have not changed a bit.

If you write a message on eham about how your ABC-1000 seems to be overheating during RTTY contests, you will get three helpful friendly replies.  You will also get these replies:

Someone who will angrily say you SHOULD have gotten the XYZ-220 because someone at Dayton told him how much better it was.  (This will spark an entire sub-discussion about ABC vs. XYZ, which may safely be ignored.)

The ABC vs. XYZ sub-discussion will spawn its own offspring when someone uses the thread to complain about MFJ products.  This will create the biggest sub-discussion of all.

Someone else will blame your PC's operating system, resulting in another long acrimonious sub-discussion about operating systems.

A half-dozen people will insult and deride you for not being "ham enough" to resolve the problem on your own.  You will be accused of being a whiner, a poltroon, and a cad.

Another dozen posters will start sub-discussions about how hams back in the OLD days could have fixed the problem but the FCC has cheapened the licenses.

There will be at least one bizarre message that appears to be an insult but which is written in such primitive English that you can't be sure.

Concentrate on the helpful friendly replies and ignore the other people.   ;-)

Good summary!  Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: