Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RSS Feeds  (Read 9649 times)
K2CMH

Ignore
« on: August 27, 2013, 09:13:13 AM »

Does this forum software support RSS feeds so that one can use an RSS reader to pull down new posts instead of having to visit each forum separately and check for new posts?   QRZ.COM has an RSS feature, but you have to subscribe to a feed for each forum, which is certainly better than nothing.

Thanks,
Carlton
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 10:10:14 AM »

Does this forum software support RSS feeds so that one can use an RSS reader to pull down new posts instead of having to visit each forum separately and check for new posts.

Yes.

The 5 most recent posts:
www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml

The 20 most recent posts:
www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;limit=20

The 10 most recent posts on 'Elmers'
www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?action=.xml;sa=recent;board=12;limit=10

You can find more guidance here:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=25009.0

George
K5TR
DJ1YFK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 10:11:36 AM »

Does this forum software support RSS feeds so that one can use an RSS reader to pull down new posts instead of having to visit each forum separately and check for new posts?   QRZ.COM has an RSS feature, but you have to subscribe to a feed for each forum, which is certainly better than nothing.

This forum uses "Simple Machines Forum" which supports various versions of XML feeds, including Atom and RSS.

Over at the Simple Machines Wiki you'll find more information how to build a query URL to get the posts of the sub-forums you like: http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/XML_feeds

For example, I am using the following query with my feed reader (rss2email) to get the latest posts from some boards (7, 8, 9, 11, 20, 27). Since my rss2email script is running once a hour, I figured that querying 40 posts should be more than enough to catch the last hour's activity, without querying too much duplicate posts and just increasing database load.

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;sa=recent;boards=7,8,9,11,20,27;limit=40

There's a downside that in the current configuration only the first 255 characters of each forum post are available in the feeds.

Fabian

K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 11:14:06 AM »

Thank you both for the information, very helpful!   

Carlton
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 04:16:09 AM »

And thanks to you, Carlton, for asking.  I had no idea this was possible, but I'm looking forward to trying it!  73!  --ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: