Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Large expedition to Uganda starts Feb. 8th  (Read 6117 times)
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2013, 07:44:56 AM »

They're dirt-easy to work on the higher bands (I was in the log within minutes of seeing the first spot and 1-called twice more elsewhere), but 80 has been elusive. ESP at best with long fades. I doubt I'll hear them unless they get something better up at their end. I'm sure I could work them, but I won't call unless I can hear them clearly. All I have room for on my lot is a K9AY and there's plenty of electrical noise making things harder than I'd like. Plus the path to them is straight into the side of a long granite hill.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2013, 06:25:04 PM »

This is more of an observation than a complaint-- only about 15% of the 5X8C logged QSO's so far are with North America, with EU scoring around 73%.  EU is obviously much closer and has longer band openings.  I wonder if they plan to operate the ARRL CW DX Contest this weekend. 

Chuck  NI0C 

That is the situation I find with most African expeditions, which are mostly conducted by Europeans. Of course, most of Europe is easy to work from most of Africa. Much like here to east Asia, especially Japan.
Looking at the statistics, North America has made a little less than 15%, Oceania (not just VK) is 0.8%. Which is typical.
In fact, given the small number of amateurs, let alone DXers in this country, we actually do pretty well! Some of our DXers, who are on 25 hours a day, 8 days a week do very well indeed, with multiple band fills. I've picked up a couple of new bands and a new mode, so am happy. When I can hear them on 80m and 160m, the European pileup makes it near impossible to be heard, so I don't expect to work them on those bands.
The Europeans, bless them all, are just QRM now when *I* am trying trying to work a DXpedition. Though I'm still happy to hear them on Top Band!
Enjoy the last few days of this expedition.
Luke VK3HJ
N2UGB

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2013, 09:16:39 PM »

Worked 5X8C Mid-morning French time, 14/3/13. Three watts and 8 meters of wire in bushes. 17M cw. Good ears in Uganda. No other bands possible or desired.

F8WBD/P
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2013, 12:56:45 PM »

I could never hear them when they were qrv.  Funny I worked Burundi and they were just above the noise level.  Timing of the DXpedition and propagation was the key factor.  Oh well, hopefully propagation is good or better for the Burkina Faso DXpedition.

73, Delwyn KH6DC

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2013, 03:13:50 PM »

For me, they were clear and easy on 30M CW and RTTY, but they have been just occasionally peaking up above the noise on 80M. I have all sorts of other African countries on 80M (and some on 160M) in the log already. I would love to add 5X for 80M and will keep coming back to listen for them.

Just want to add... the next night I did get them on 80M CW! Thanks guys! And the fast uploads to LOTW and clublog are very useful too!
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: