Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Large expedition to Uganda starts Feb. 8th  (Read 6217 times)
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 03:06:59 AM »

Haven't heard 5X8C yet, apart from a weak signal on 30m this morning, but had to head out to work. I'm just looking for them on 30m and lower bands. But that's always tough as the competition from Europe usually makes it impossible. Plenty of time yet, they are QRV till the 18th.
Africa is probably about the most challenging region from east coast VK, but I've managed to reduce my wanted list to:
Annobon, Eritrea, and Libya.
And I'm trying not to leave the PA running too long, as it's hot enough here already!
73 es GL,
Luke VK3HJ
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 04:08:03 AM »

looking forward to at least listening to the mayhem, since were all pretty parched for some kind of expedition.....Uganda!...say hello to Edie Amin for me..... Shocked.....like many of you, I need a bunch of those French African Islands and only two mainland countries from the dark continent (eritrea and somalia).....Someone said they were bummed they missed somalia due to illness....I am bummed that I miss them due to not hearing them....and then Paul N6PSE announced that their planned trip to somalia was cancelled because of the previous operation that I could not hear.....AAAAUUUGGGHHH!!!!...... Roll Eyes........
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 05:13:23 AM »

I didn't realize they were uploading to LoTW. It was a nice surprise to find yesterday's 17m RTTY QSO already confirmed.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 06:23:57 AM »

looking forward to at least listening to the mayhem, since were all pretty parched for some kind of expedition.....Uganda!...say hello to Edie Amin for me..... Shocked.....like many of you, I need a bunch of those French African Islands and only two mainland countries from the dark continent (eritrea and somalia).....Someone said they were bummed they missed somalia due to illness....I am bummed that I miss them due to not hearing them....and then Paul N6PSE announced that their planned trip to somalia was cancelled because of the previous operation that I could not hear.....AAAAUUUGGGHHH!!!!...... Roll Eyes........

Vince, you could not hear 6O3A or the 6O0CW either?  You REALLY need to consider trying the little S-9 fibreglass vertical and a couple dozen radials. You can buy the 31', which I have, for less than $100.00. You will be pleasantly surprised....  GL!!

73, Gene AF3Y
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2013, 06:51:39 AM »

There seemed to be a few busted calls going on, on 30m last night. My buddy Jim WB2REM was busted and had to carry on until he finally worked them again. I went in the log as N1UF despite repeating my call 5 times. Another hour of slogging away and finally N1UK was in the log..I earned that one.

Some stations never stop calling even when the dx is working another station. Do they understand what is going on I wonder.

73 Mark N1UK
KA1J

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 09:08:34 AM »

Some stations never stop calling even when the dx is working another station. Do they understand what is going on I wonder.

73 Mark N1UK

I believe the majority of these Alligators are caused by selfish greed.

Some because they didn't hear the DX reply to a different call & they inadvertently QRMed and they would not have done so intentionally. I've done this one myself.

Gary
KA1J
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »

Got thru on 30 cw last night with little effort.
I was pleasantly surprized, sounded like the
pileup was big.

Took maybe 15-20 minutes.

Onward and Upward !
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 12:05:58 PM »

Vince, you could not hear 6O3A or the 6O0CW either?  You REALLY need to consider trying the little S-9 fibreglass vertical and a couple dozen radials. You can buy the 31', which I have, for less than $100.00. You will be pleasantly surprised....  GL!!

73, Gene AF3Y

Neither one....Every time I tried to tune them in, they were weak....Thanks for the offer Geno, but ham radio is taking a back seat to a pretty rough existance right now takeing care of aging parents, one of which goes home from his assisted living stay......I now only operate when the cracks in life allow.....Got to run...

CUL

V
KA3NRX
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2013, 03:21:32 PM »

It was literally less than a minute from me working them on 30M, to my call being in their online log.

Obviously not every DXpedition can arrange that sort of instant electronic logging. But as a tool for encouraging folks that they only need to work the DX once, wow, that's a good deal.
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2013, 06:11:22 PM »

I spent about 1.5 hours this evening trying to get thru the pileup
on 20m rtty. Finally got thru. Then found them on 17ph.
Took about 10 calls. No biggie...

But my point is, I started working the CQ WPX RTTY contest
and the 12th station I found was...

You guessed it, 5X8C on 20m RTTY.

So much for the hour and a half !

I'll take it !
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2013, 06:43:33 PM »

Yesterday evening (1149z) I spent quite some time trying to crack the EU pileup, and finally found a gap in the din. This morning 1919z, they were working a pile on 40m, seemed like the whole northern hemisphere calling. Found the last station worked, and made it - one call! 30m was weak, and same pile as on 40m, so left it a while. At 2003z, at sunrise, the signal came up a bit, and again, one call and he came straight back!
After drawing a complete blank on 160m this morning, the satisfaction of two new bands for Uganda was most pleasing. Checking the online log a bit later, I found my 3 Q's safely in the log. It always amazes me how much better the Internet connection seems in places even like Africa. I live 50 miles from Melbourne (pop 3.5M), and all I can get here is satellite Internet...
Oh well, the radio is much better out here!
73 es gud DX!
Luke VK3HJ
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2013, 10:06:57 PM »

Haven't heard 5X8C yet, apart from a weak signal on 30m this morning, but had to head out to work. I'm just looking for them on 30m and lower bands. But that's always tough as the competition from Europe usually makes it impossible. Plenty of time yet, they are QRV till the 18th.
Africa is probably about the most challenging region from east coast VK, but I've managed to reduce my wanted list to:
Annobon, Eritrea, and Libya.
And I'm trying not to leave the PA running too long, as it's hot enough here already!
73 es GL,
Luke VK3HJ

I have seen the news about your 110 degree heat. Stay cool. Here in New England and parts of the East Coast we are experiencing a blizzard.  Looks like I may get 1 foot of snow and Boston may get 2 feet of snow.

The team from Uganda has been very active on many bands. I have not added any new bands or modes yet but it is still early. I did work TZ6BB on 20 CW which is not a new band but he is using LoTW and I have QSL cards from the late 80's. I did work Z81D on 10 meter phone Friday morning which is a new band for Southern Sudan. I did not work ST0R on 10 meters.

Chris/NU1O
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2013, 10:39:47 PM »

Today I just read about the additional violence in Mali.  I hope Fernando is out of trouble and safe.

Here's a link to country rankings on violence.  African countries holds 14 spots in the top 20.

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/violence/by-country/

Jonathan W6GX
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2013, 06:56:59 AM »

Looks like I may get 1 foot of snow and Boston may get 2 feet of snow.

GL, Chris. I was in Cambridge during the '78 blizzard. The current totals look comparable.

Jack
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 07:05:57 AM by WS3N » Logged
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2013, 07:26:40 AM »

Just starting to smell smoke from the large grass fire about 15 miles south of here. It has 19 units on it, and is described as "Contained". At least the weather is cool tonight, so hopefully they'll get it blacked out before the weather gets hot again.
What a contrast to the reports of heavy snow in NE USA. I was talking to a mate in Bakersfield CA this evening, and he's reporting snowfall there too!
Back to topic: didn't hear much of 5X8C at all today. Will be up at sunrise and maybe have a chance to work them on 80m - if they can get EU to shut up for a few minutes!
73 es GL,
Luke VK3HJ
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: