Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Window Feed Thru  (Read 7746 times)
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 05:15:32 AM »

You have probably already completed your project, but just in case...

I made a window pass-through using a vinyl covered MDF board from my local "bog box" home improvement warehouse. I bought galvanized fender washers big enough for both sides of the UHF bulkhead connectors.

The 4601 cost $60 and I built mine for less than $20 and it does the exact same thing.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 05:30:03 AM »

The BIGGEST safety issue with this setup is the fact that it can be pushed out of the window relatively easily.  Just perfect for the local Meth-Head to get easy access to your home.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 08:40:00 AM »

The BIGGEST safety issue with this setup is the fact that it can be pushed out of the window relatively easily.  Just perfect for the local Meth-Head to get easy access to your home.
Not that I am particularly worried about my local meth-heads breaking in but more for keeping the WX outside....

I cut two pieces of wood slightly longer than the distance from the top of the window to the top of the channel and whacked them in place on each side of the window channels creating a very tight seal.

And if one of my local meth-heads still manages to get in, I have a 12ga shotgun next to the bed for such an occurrence!
AB3RY

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 12:40:41 PM »

At the risk of raising a dead thread, I have a followup question.  Like the gentleman starting this thread, I am a new ham starting out.  

I have a 2m/70cm vertical with an MFJ window panel and G5RV on the way.  My plan is to ground the antennas and the window panel outside the window with a ground rod and then run a cable around to the other side of the house connecting the antenna/station ground to the electrical service ground.  Is this the right solution?  

Alternatively, the house is old and has BX wiring (flexible steel conduit) and good ground everywhere, can trying into this ground suffice for connecting to the electrical ground? 

If I add another vertical or tower I would ground that at it's location and it's feedline would be grounded at the station entrance, yes?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 01:08:31 PM by AB3RY » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 03:33:45 PM »

...I have a 2m/70cm vertical with an MFJ window panel and G5RV on the way.  My plan is to ground the antennas and the window panel outside the window with a ground rod and then run a cable around to the other side of the house connecting the antenna/station ground to the electrical service ground.  Is this the right solution?

You're good so far... 

Alternatively, the house is old and has BX wiring (flexible steel conduit) and good ground everywhere, can trying into this ground suffice for connecting to the electrical ground?

No, best not to do this.  Keep your equipment ground separate and tie the station ground to the electrical ground at one place.  Doing otherwise can lead to having ground loops which can be problematical to your station. 

If I add another vertical or tower I would ground that at it's location and it's feedline would be grounded at the station entrance, yes?

If you put a ground rod at the tower or at the vertical, you'll also need to bond that ground rod to the other two, usually at the station ground outside the window.  73 and good luck!
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2013, 01:41:57 PM »

No special window feed through needed if you use the COMET flat coax, you can close your window on it but only rated for 100 watts.
N9JKU

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2013, 09:15:52 AM »

I hope this thread isn't too old to bring up.

I would like to place my shack in a second story bonus room. No matter what its on the second story, unfortunately. My electrical box/ground is going to be on the back side of the house, and the rig would be on the front. My plan was to run it through a pass-thru 5 feet from the built in desk I want to use. From here, my feedline would go to a G5RV streched NW-SE across the roof of the house, probably clearing it by a few feet. I would ground below the window, with two bends coming through the wire due to a driveway being right underneath the window. I would have a station ground at this corner, and run a connecting wire with one bend to the service ground behind the house. Also, I would place a random wire in the attic, and a 2/440 clotheshanger, in the attic too.

I don't quite understand all of the concepts of grounding, I know I need the grounds connected, and when there is a bend in the wire to have as shallow of an angle as possible. To that extent, for the connection wire, I plan on using thick, bare, copper wire buried 12 inches about 5-8 feet outside the perimiter of the house, to alllow for the shallow turn.

Am I forgetting anything in this set up? Would I be better off relocating to a room on the backside of the house, closer to the service ground? In that situation I could also bury multiple ground rods in the back yard, something I wouldn't be able to to on the front side due to property lines. The only issue on the back side of the house, is I would need to figure out a diffrent way to hang a dipole due to the electric drop line entering close by.

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: