Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My ex-XYL bought me an HW-7  (Read 9797 times)
KB2HSH

Ignore
« on: February 07, 2013, 03:46:17 PM »

The other day, my ex-XYL bought me an HW-7 off of eBay that appears to be pristine. I've had a couple HW-7s and HW-8s in the past...and have had a varying degree of success.

Just wondering...does anyone on this forum still use an HW-7 on a regular basis, and if so, is it modded? 

John KB2HSH
N2UGB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 06:38:16 PM »

I had an HW-7 many years ago. didn't have much luck with it.

On the other hand, I worked a guy in the northeast USA  a couple years ago  who  was using one. 100% copy here in France. 14.060MHZ. I think he had a wire antenna. I suspect his HW-7 was highly modified.

You never know.

Dick N2UGB/F8WBD.
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 05:00:17 AM »

An original unmodified HW-7 is quite the collector's item, as so many were modified.   Wink

Zack W1VT
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 06:41:29 AM »

I found a deal on an HW7 years ago and it is virtually useless as a stock radio.  The "mod" to make it work is to remove nearly everything in it and start over.  I sold it for what I paid for it and felt lucky to get that much.  I would treat it as a project case for a QRP rig that needs a cabinet.  Or, as shelfware.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KB2HSH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 10:12:19 AM »

I found a deal on an HW7 years ago and it is virtually useless as a stock radio.  The "mod" to make it work is to remove nearly everything in it and start over.  I sold it for what I paid for it and felt lucky to get that much.  I would treat it as a project case for a QRP rig that needs a cabinet.  Or, as shelfware.

OUCH. 

Yeah...from what I remember, the 7s I've had were pretty SPARTAN to say the least.  The 8s I had were so-so...but each one had lousy capacitors that lost capacitor plates.  Truthfully, I never really took the time to ground the rig/tuner properly in the past, and I had lousy antennas then, too. 

If I can make QSOs with a Rockmite and a PixieII, the HW-7 should be "ok".  I'm just not expecting MIRACLES.  I know it's not my old FT-817 that I had.

Thanks for the responses, guys!!

John KB2HSH
KE7WAV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 05:05:33 PM »

A couple of years ago my HW 7 was my main rig. It's not a great radio and many times it drove me nuts BUT I still made my weekly sked and managed to add numerous contacts to my log.  If you run it on batteries it works much better. Good luck
KE7WAV
AE5QB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 03:20:26 AM »

The other day, my ex-XYL bought me an HW-7 off of eBay that appears to be pristine.... 

John KB2HSH

Not to pry, but now why is she your EX-XYL?    Hi!
KB2HSH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 11:23:50 AM »

If you REALLY want that answer, I'd be more than happy to tell you the story.
WB0FDJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 11:40:45 AM »

FWIW I made my first QRP QSO running an HW-7 that my cousin (not yet licensed) had built. Wanted me to tune for smoke. I put it on 40 meters mid day, explained to him this probably wasn't going to do much, banged out a CQ and immediately got an answer. Had an actual ragchew with it. Thats the experience that got me started on QRP.

I notice on ebay these things are selling for almost as much as the HW-8 (which I own it's clearly a better rig) and there are tons of mods. Like KB2HSH said, if I can make contacts on my Rockmites and other spartan rigs, you can too. Pristine HW-7s are in some demand, probably because new owners don't necessarily want to deal with other peoples mods.

Have fun with it. 73

Doc WB0FDJ
N2UGB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 02:49:05 AM »

Another thing the HW-7/8 has going for it, is its' size! You can actually see it on your operating desk. I am not happy with the new tiny QRP rigs, such as the KX-3, new Argonaut (hoped it would be the size of the 509/515), and yes, even my beloved FT-817 (though I won't part with it). No problem with small kit radios but not so with the commercial ones now on the market.

73 Dick
N2UGB/F8WBD
KB2HSH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 05:41:51 AM »

Yeah...trust me, I feel the pain.  I miss my FT-817ND...it was the best rig I could have had for the way I operate.  But, on to bigger and better, although not necessarily newer.  You're in a rare breed, Dick, that isn't fond of the KX3.  My friend WB2VUO has been chomping at the bit to get one for himself. 

To each their own.  That's what's so great about THIS hobby.

John
N2UGB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 09:45:26 PM »

I'm sure the KX3 and Argonaut are fantastic QRP transceivers. If I had the cash I'd order one today. It's just their small size that I regret. I'm not an outdoor-type operator and don't need a rig that would fit in a back-back or back-pocket. Wouldn't affect my buying decision.
KB2HSH

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 09:37:29 AM »

My friend W2MDW has a KX3 and he likes sitting on his couch and working DX with it.  I've seen the photos...it's pretty cool.  Reminds me of when I had a Lektrokit Spider Jr, and could play radio while laying in bed.

John
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 09:20:28 PM »

If you REALLY want that answer, I'd be more than happy to tell you the story.
  Did you guys break up because of your ham radio hobby?
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 05:10:07 PM »

I was looking at the KX3, but I already have FT817, and if I did operating from the couch I would use a laptop and remote control back to the shack.  I don't do backpacking, but I do travel.  If I operate from the hotel, the 817 seems to offer everything I need.

But the KX3 does have me intrigued.  I am watching it closely...
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: