Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ERITREA  (Read 2971 times)
AF3Y

Ignore
« on: February 08, 2013, 07:20:55 AM »

WHOA NOW!  Dont get TOO excited. (Not yet, anyway Cry)

Here is a sorta censored reply to an email, in which I was asking about a possible trip to
a rare entity (Not E3) :

Dear Gene,

Unfortunately due to bad experience, I don't think to travel again there.
Still trying to travel to South Sudan or Eritrea (depends on my work schedule and license approval) ...

Best Regards

xxxxxxxxxxx

73, Gene AF3Y
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 07:23:06 AM by AF3Y » Logged
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 07:53:12 AM »

Members of the Intrepid-DX Group went to Asmara before ST0R and after 7O6T.  No license was issued and no hope was given that a license could be issued any time soon.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 10:25:17 AM »

Members of the Intrepid-DX Group went to Asmara before ST0R and after 7O6T.  No license was issued and no hope was given that a license could be issued any time soon.

Paul, that was true, at least at that time. Things do change tho....... like Yemen.

He does have one advantage, if there is such a thing as an advantage, while license chasing in countries which dont especially like the US. He is not an American.

He has activated a rare entity or two in the past. I wont go any farther than that.

73, Gene AF3Y
AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 06:43:25 PM »

Could it be Vlad-UA4WHX?

John AF5CC
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 10:49:57 PM »

What is the rare entity that he won't go?  Please tell me so I could stop dreaming.

Jonathan W6GX
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 11:42:17 PM »

The broken English is a big clue and he's likely a lone OP. I think I know who it is but I'm not going to make my guess public unless Gene gives me the go-ahead.

Chris/NU1O
M0TTB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 01:14:34 AM »

E3 is in a terrible state this year, certainly far more unstable than it has been for some years... the capital has usually been seem as a safe area, but not so much now.
Believe it or not, I had a friend (well connected native of Eritrea ) who ran a tourist agency in Asmara up until a few years ago.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 06:40:14 AM »

I actually know who this is - but Paul, N6PSE really said it best regarding "rumors", and I will paraphrase:

"There is at least one group looking at activating all of the rare entities".

And that makes sense - because if there is a serious need for any entity that would fund the dx-pedition, someone will go activate it.

I used to try to find a "scoop" in the rumor mill, but so many have come and gone now that I will just heed Paul's advice and find comfort in the fact that the DX-peditioners want to activate these places even more than us "chasers" (I don't like that word "deserving") . . .

But yes, with Peace and Stability in E3 - who knows - 7O6T certainly proved that miracles can happen.

Rich
KY6R
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 07:01:06 AM by KY6R » Logged
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 07:12:55 AM »

I don't like that word "deserving"

I'm definitely not deserving. I'm grateful for anything I get. It really annoys me when people criticize and second-guess DXpeditions while their behinds are firmly planted in their chairs.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 06:35:03 PM »

(I don't like that word "deserving") . . .

KY6R
Rich,

Why the sudden reversal?  You have probably used the term the most here and I think you were the first who used it in this forum. I had no idea what it meant and after you used it one day I wrote, "who dertermines who is deserveing and who is not?" At that point you explained to me what it meant.

BTW, I bought "Array of Light" largely based on your opinion. I have only spent about a 1/2 hour perusing it but it has to be one of the best books on antennas I have come across. My Skyhawk looks like it was designed by the author and on Page 1 he claims a lot of people have stolen his ideas over the years.

Chris/NU1O

« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 06:54:10 PM by NU1O » Logged
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 07:07:54 PM »

(I don't like that word "deserving") . . .

KY6R
Rich,

Why the sudden reversal?  You have probably used the term the most here and I think you were the first who used it in this forum. I had no idea what it meant and after you used it one day I wrote, "who dertermines who is deserveing and who is not?" At that point you explained to me what it meant.

BTW, I bought "Array of Light" largely based on your opinion. I have only spent about a 1/2 hour perusing it but it has to be one of the best books on antennas I have come across. My Skyhawk looks like it was designed by the author and on Page 1 he claims a lot of people have stolen his ideas over the years.

Chris/NU1O

Because after working three weekends packing up TX5K I realize that I am not deserving, but

"appreciative"

Array of Light is an awesome book.

rich
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 07:52:03 PM »

[Because after working three weekends packing up TX5K I realize that I am not deserving, but

"appreciative"

Array of Light is an awesome book.

rich

Funny, I have never loaded boxes for any expedition but I feel I am most deserving.  Wink 

I couldn't load a container if I wanted to. My body is badly beaten up from years of playing all the major sports except for hockey.  My orthopedic doctor told me golf is probably the worst sport on the back. It is a very unnatural swing for the human body. I played golf in my 20's and 30's when I could no longer play the other sports. Mostly it was an excuse to get out with the guys so we could drink a lot and smoke cigars but I did take lessons from a PGA pro when I started.

I am reading "Array of Light" now.

Chris

W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 08:05:20 PM »

My Skyhawk looks like it was designed by the author and on Page 1 he claims a lot of people have stolen his ideas over the years.

The Skyhawk was designed on a contract assignment by Jim Breakall WA3FET (electrically) and Tim Duffy K3LR (mechanically), and recommended by Jonathan Woo W6GX Wink  Jim Breakall is a professor of Electrical Engineering at Penn State University.

Playing with the Skyhawk is the most fun you could have with your clothes on.

Jonathan W6GX
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 10:08:45 PM »

My Skyhawk looks like it was designed by the author and on Page 1 he claims a lot of people have stolen his ideas over the years.

Playing with the Skyhawk is the most fun you could have with your clothes on.

Jonathan W6GX

That maybe true for you and me because we are normal. I can think of plenty who would have fun with the Skyhawk parts sans the the clothing.   Cheesy

My older Italian-American relatives insisit some Italian guy invented the telephone but the guy who makes all the money generally gets the credit for the invention.  I think the Argentinians also insist one of their countrymen invented the telephone or some other important invention but was not given due credit.

I know who is credited with the electrical and mechanical designs of the Skyhawk but that doesn't mean they didn't "borrow" existing ideas.

It's amazing how little time it took the Soviet's to steal the A-bomb technology but the Rosenbergs and others sure helped matters.  Their sons lived and teached here in Springfield, MA under their adopted name. I haven't heard anything about them for years now and they maybe be dead for all I know.  They naturally said their parents were innocent but there were too many intercepts by the FBI and confessions by cohorts to sway public opinion.

Chris/NU1O

W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 09:07:01 AM »

I really don't know the facts but interlaced yagis have been around a long time.  If you google WA3FET you will find that he has invented many of the yagis designs including the OWA which is used at the K3LR contest station.  See a link here on the OWA design:  http://www.naic.edu/~angel/kp4ao/ham/owa.html.

If there's someone that really got 'burned' by others copying their antenna design it would be Mr. Yagi and Mr. Uda Wink

Jonathan W6GX
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: