Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ameritron AL 572  (Read 1471 times)
KG6IDR

Ignore
« on: February 08, 2013, 08:52:31 AM »

Hi, my Ameritron AL 572 had a hot smell to it a couple of weeks ago, then the other day htere was a noise in my receiver and the plate was up to 300 ma with no transmit. I shut it off and turned it back on and it was ok. The taylor tubes are only putting out 600 watts on 40m so I put in new Pinta Labs 572b's . I turned the amp on and let it set for around half an hour tuned it on 40m was getting 1000w high voaltage was 2600v @120v the grid and plate both went up ,grid 150 plate 600ma at the same time,there was a POP. I took cover off and cannot see any thing bad, burnt except a little oil? on the inside of  cover by one of the tubes. tested all eight tubes tha new Penta test good and the old Taylord test good but down some. Any one have any ideas?  Les  KG6IDR
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 10:12:53 AM »

Oil?  Not familiar with this amp, but since there is "oil" inside, you may have blown a filter cap.  By changing out the tubes and still having the problem, you can eliminate an internal tube short.  That is unless both sets of tubes are bad.

Dick  AD4U
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 11:03:11 AM by AD4U » Logged
KG6IDR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 10:46:47 AM »

The small amount of oil is where the tube base would be also it is showing neg.  grid current.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 03:51:25 PM »

Oil can only come from one thing here, a blown CAP (unless you have had oil can out in it for some reason)

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KG6IDR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 04:11:45 PM »

It would be one of the caps under tube socket and they look good.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 09:21:31 PM »

It would be one of the caps under tube socket and they look good.

First thing to check is main filter caps. You have a electrolytic to popped somewhere.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: