Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amateur Radio Ops eat Velveeta?!  (Read 24184 times)
W1CEW

Ignore
« on: February 08, 2013, 08:56:50 AM »

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7dy8/velveeta-ham-radio-guy

Anybody see this commercial?  I have no idea what they were thinking.  I always thought this cheese was gross!

Chuck
W1CEW
K4NYA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 09:05:22 AM »

What? I'm confused...
W1CEW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 09:07:39 AM »

Don't you know... there's some huge market of people envious of ham radio operators who have bad dietary habits!  Weird.
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 09:50:31 AM »

I know that it makes great grilled cheese sandwiches.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 11:47:35 AM »

What's the old bromide?  Oh yeah, you know what they say, one man's meat is another man's poison. 

You should be glad to see that Amateur Radio is even known to exist by the commercial writing types...

AE5QB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 02:35:43 PM »

Hey now!  I grew up on that stuff.  Nothing like a little Mac and Cheese made with Velveeta and some fried spam.  Maybe a few fried potatoes to go with it.
I'll tell you what, Velveeta Mac and Cheese is way better than that powdered stuff in the box.  Its like eating plastic straws with baby powder on em.

I guess we were poor, just didn't know it.  I love the stuff.

Tom/AE5QB 
KE4VVF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 07:31:45 PM »

I like Pickled Sausages, Spam and Treet too.

All this talk about food is making me crave those orange Circus Peanuts.
WB2EOD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 09:47:22 PM »

I am not a fan of Mac and Cheese, but I have to admit it's a good commercial.  In sort of a strange way, I believe it reflects well upon us, or at the very least brands us as "normal".
Ham radio has taken a public image hit over the past few years.  Some lump us in with the CB crowd, some blame us for RFI when the toaster or washing machine malfunctions.  A few years ago, I was chatting with a coworker.  I told him I am a ham operator.  His reply was "I didn't know they still do that". 
I can't think of a more compelling argument that we need all the favorable attention we can get. 

Just my opinion FWIW

WB2EOD
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 10:33:08 PM »

I saw that commercial on TV yesterday evening. Had no idea what the point was. I do have a ham radio in my basement (and not the CB shown).

Almost never eat Velveetta. Now I wonder about the intelligence of the people who make it.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 11:02:52 PM »

I'd eat Velveeta if it got me a QSO with North Korea!
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 06:32:48 PM »

One man's fish is another man's poisson.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 12:50:44 AM »

It's not just ham radio that people think doesn't exist. I had an optician who asked what i did for a living. I told him that I'm radio engineer. His response:

'But nobody uses radio anymore. It's all digital now'

He wasn't a very good optician, either.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 07:53:30 AM »

It's not just ham radio that people think doesn't exist. I had an optician who asked what i did for a living. I told him that I'm radio engineer. His response:

'But nobody uses radio anymore. It's all digital now'

He wasn't a very good optician, either.

LOL 

No doubt.

Isn't it amazing? 

K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 10:46:48 AM »

I saw that commercial on TV yesterday evening. Had no idea what the point was. I do have a ham radio in my basement (and not the CB shown).

Almost never eat Velveetta. Now I wonder about the intelligence of the people who make it.

I saw it a last week and liked that it played on ham radio operators not being 'amateurs' (in the derogatory sense).
when it asks: "so who you calling amateur?"

maybe it is a CB radio in the background because if you confuse CB with amateur radio you might confuse Velveeta for real cheese   Cheesy

jokes aside, at first i was disappointed it was for a product that is not exactly healthy and may be associated with obesity. but then i realized it was cool to hear ham radio mentioned at all, and especially with the spin that it'd be a mistake to call us mere amateurs
N5XM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 07:18:54 AM »

The XYL made some homemade chili a couple of weeks ago, and she brought home a velveeta cheese I'd never heard of before.  It was called "cueso blanco".  It was a white cheese with the tiniest nip to it, and melted over the chili, it was incredible.  Try it!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: