Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Molly has resigned.  (Read 12611 times)
K6AER

Ignore
« on: February 08, 2013, 03:23:41 PM »

Any one what is going on a RF Concepts (Alpha). Molly has resigned.
W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 03:35:46 PM »

Hi Mike,

It probably falls into the "three biggest lies", most likely #3:
1. The check is in the mail.
2. I will respect you in the morning.
3. There will be no changes after the acquisition.

73 and DX,

John

« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 03:41:39 PM by W5JON » Logged
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 03:49:27 PM »

For those of us not familiar with the inner workings of RF Concepts, who is Molly and what does her resignation have to do with  anything?
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 03:54:41 PM »

For those of us not familiar with the inner workings of RF Concepts, who is Molly and what does her resignation have to do with  anything?

You must not be active in HF operations. Molly was the heart and soul of Alpha Radio Products.
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 06:23:03 PM »

Edit: Confirmed.

http://www.rfconcepts.com/FAQ/Joe-Jurneke-Joins-Alpha-as-its-new-CEO

Bummer. If it hadn't been for Molly, I'd prolly own a THP. Wonder if Gordon is going to leave too.

- WX2S
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 06:26:35 PM by WX2S » Logged

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 06:33:01 PM »

For those of us not familiar with the inner workings of RF Concepts, who is Molly and what does her resignation have to do with  anything?
Three weeks ago:

http://www.timescall.com/business/business-data/ci_22407292/newstip

Molly Hardman, WØMOM, used to co-own the company. She sold her share and stayed on as their public-facing person. She was unbelievable in the job. They got a new CEO. She quit. No clue why.

Without her, it's a poorer place and it might just tank.

- WX2S.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 06:43:44 PM by WX2S » Logged

73, - Steve WX2S.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 08:53:30 PM »

This is interesting. Their new CEO has an advanced license but has never been active. They have been trying to produce an antenna tuner for three years, is it out yet?. It looks like this is a cost saving maneuver. It is just a guess but I suspect financial problems.

I wonder who is going to write their future code? Molly was a very good programmer.
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 12:26:27 AM »

Hmmm... Side note: they were prolly going in the wrong direction with the tuner. The edge-wound roller inductor design seems to have reliability problems. Switched inductors work reliably if less accurately, and you don't have the high cost and toxicity problems of the beryllium-copper wheel. It's a design-for-manufacturability issue.

-WX2S.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 12:30:50 AM by WX2S » Logged

73, - Steve WX2S.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 08:29:15 AM »

I am not surprised by this announcement from Alpha / RF Concepts, with a new CEO.
Alpha/RF Concepts has been owned by Michael Seedman and Steve Farkas since 2008.

Longmont Times-Call, January 19, 2013 article on company
http://www.timescall.com/business/business-data/ci_22407292/longmont-company-finds-global-niche-catering-ham-radio

As stated in January article, contract manufacturer Q.S.C. Systems Inc. does much of the preliminary work on the Alpha amplifiers -- circuit board and power cord assembly, based on RF Concepts' specs.  Those units are then wheeled across the hall (co-located building), where RF Concepts' employees test them and do final assembly.

Since the Hardmans are no longer owners of the company, then nepotism becomes an issue with a 12-employee private company that is largely R&D, sales, and support.  It is not permitted at many public and private companies, and is legally outlined in many Employee handbooks that I have seen for past 30 years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nepotism

It is especially problematic with small firms or divisions of larger companies (less than 50 employees), when it becomes an issue of who is running the company or division.
I have first hand experience (management) dealing with the negative aspects of nepotism.  
In one case, a couple did not disclose their marriage so that the foreign born (India) husband could quickly advance, with his wife's assistance.  The rapid advancement caused employee morale and cultural issues within the firm, when the nepotism was discovered.  He quickly resigned, when HR discovered the issue.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 09:24:45 AM by W9GB » Logged
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 08:55:24 AM »

Quote from: WX2S
Molly Hardman, WØMOM, used to co-own the company.
I was in Boulder, CO (2004), days after the Crosslink bankruptcy/collapse (Alpha former owner).
I was picking up parts for an Alpha 76PA restoration.
Molly told me, at that time, that Dick Einhorn (ETO, who started Alpha in 1970s.), not mentioned in article, was instrumental in having Alpha Amplifiers survive, post-Crosslink.

Quote from: WX2S
Hmmm... Side note: they were prolly going in the wrong direction with the tuner. The edge-wound roller inductor design seems to have reliability problems. Switched inductors work reliably if less accurately, and you don't have the high cost and toxicity problems of the beryllium-copper wheel. It's a design-for-manufacturability issue.
William Nye Sr. manufactured and sold an edge-wound inductor in 1970s for the Nye-Viking MB-II antenna tuner.
You Tube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEcODhJ9CCg

It would have been useful for RF Concepts to consult or learn from Wm. Nye's experiences during that period.  
His son still operates and manufactures, a smaller Nye company, from Idaho today
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 09:26:01 AM by W9GB » Logged
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 09:18:30 AM »

Some more information from the Alpha 9500 group on Yahoo:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Alpha9500/message/1463

Probably nothing sinister, she was just tired.

73, – WX2S.

73, - Steve WX2S.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 04:47:24 PM »

Life does go on, But I will sure miss Mollys face behind the table at Visallia.
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 12:43:20 PM »

Quote from: W6UV on February 08, 2013, 03:49:27 PM
W6AER replied:
You must not be active in HF operations. Molly was the heart and soul of Alpha Radio Products.

Not everyone has to have the latest, greatest, MOST EXPENSIVE ham station on their block.  Familiarity in HF operations has nothing to do with familiarity with the "big money pits".  I consider the ability to be content with a modest station a virtue and a sign of character.
Tom
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 08:33:13 AM »

My station is not a "big money pit" but I do have an Orion and an alpha 87a in it.  I bought  the radio about 10 years ago with a little cash from income tax refund, and some  cash from sale of a previous amp.  Same thing with the radio. Infact most of my station is used, second hand and so on.  If I get a deal on something I try to get it to have on hand, like the time I bought 2300 feet of lmr 400 off ebay for $600 delivered. Now I have coax to last me the rest of my life, and some to give to friends who need  a hand.   I also do some serious horse trading. so you can make a very nice station on a budjet, it just takes time.

BTW I have no idea what any of this has to do with Molly. She is a super nice lady and her smile will be missed by many. Thanks for all the effort on behalf of us hams Molly, you done good.
W0MOM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 08:54:34 AM »

Dear Friends and Customers All,

Please stop your speculations and theories about Molly and about RF Concepts!  I just need a break - I still believe that Alpha amplifiers are the best in the world and I still operate one (or two, hi, hi) here at my QTH - perhaps I'll even get back on the air again!

There are many fine people who still work there including Joe, WBØPJZ, the new CEO and of course, my OM, Gordon, WØRUN, and AEØQ and KØHM, etc, etc.  No one is indispensable - I know we all like to think we are - I have made so many wonderful friends through my working with Alpha Amplifiers and had such a good time with it all that I can't cut my ties.

These rumors and speculations hurt the product and brand that I have worked for and put everything into - please stop!

Molly, WØMOM

This is interesting. Their new CEO has an advanced license but has never been active. They have been trying to produce an antenna tuner for three years, is it out yet?. It looks like this is a cost saving maneuver. It is just a guess but I suspect financial problems.

I wonder who is going to write their future code? Molly was a very good programmer.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: