Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Mart Left Me Hanging On Insurance Claim  (Read 5763 times)
WA5THJ

Ignore
« on: February 08, 2013, 05:46:02 PM »

I recently purchased an FT-221 from RadioMart. It was poorly packed, being placed in a very long (used) box with insufficient packing materials. The radio was freely moving around in the box and had knocked a hole in box. The left rear corner of the radio was damaged. The radio was represented on site as a very nice unit "without a scratch". I elected to keep the radio, but asked for an insurance claim with UPS for the damage.  RadioMart sent me an email that UPS has decided to pay the 100.00 insurance claim and they waived an inspection of the box or item. So I tossed the box after a couple of weeks, since UPS waived the inspection. I repaired the damage at my expense. I never received the insurance money from RadioMart. When I asked for help in the matter I was told that I was out of luck. Radio Mart stopped communicating with me and could care less.
W4OP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 03:35:25 PM »

Again, the overriding question is why do people continue to buy from a guy like this?
There are hundreds of horror stories on the internet.

Dale W4OP
WB6VHK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 12:00:10 PM »

I don't think it's a matter of 'why people continue to' but newbies being 'sucked in' for the first time.....

http://www.scamadviser.com/check-website/radio-mart.net

KB0VWP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 12:09:35 PM »

I'm dissappointed that Radio Mart did this.  He got his money from the original buyer.  He more than made out for the item he sold. I had this same thing happen to me from another seller and the honest seller sent me the claim check from UPS.  Radio Mart you need to take care of this as I once bought from you and no problems.  KB0VWP
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 07:33:04 AM »

Did you pay with a credit card?

You still may have time to dispute the charge on the grounds that the rig wasn't delivered to you in the agreed upon condition.

N9LCD

W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 10:07:49 AM »

Never dealt with him personally, but I think if you file a claim with the USPS or UPS, etc., they come gather up the item and then make a determination.  If they warrant a claim, you get the check, they keep the damaged item.

I would pursue that personally, rather then to keep some dented up item.  Post pics of it on the internet also.
WA5THJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 06:36:28 PM »

PROOF: Radio Mart still will not assist me with the UPS insurance claim, or send me the money they collected if that be the case. Here is a copy of the email UPS sent stating they waived any inspection and that they were going to pay the 100.00 claim on the FT-221.

"***Do not reply to this e-mail. UPS will not receive your reply.
This package is now eligible for a claim. UPS chose not to inspect this package. Please now provide UPS with the necessary supporting documents online at http://www.ups.com/claims?loc=en_US

Tracking Number: 1Z48YA840374706564

Claim Information:
Claim Type: Damaged Package
Claim Status: Claim Issued - Inspection Not Required

Documents Needed: YES

Merchandise Description 1: Yaesu FT 221R Radio"

Radio Mart has treated me very unfairly in this matter. I want everyone to see how they treat customers. Byron, WA5THJ
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 07:26:22 PM »

I'm not sticking-up for UPS but:

Do you know what YOUR responsibilities are?

What documents does UPS need?  Who has them?

Have you asked UPS if they will pay the claim even though you repaired the rig?  You may have prejudiced the claim by repairing the rig yourself.

As a seller, I've had a couple of claims for rigs damaged in transit.  The damaged rigs were inspected and returned to me for me to arrange the repairs.  I paid for the repairs and the carrier reimbursed me.

At this point, your only hope is talking to a live person at uPS.

N9LCD

Huh
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 07:30:48 PM »

Ah yeess.. The old "pack it loosely" trick. See, the sellers who perpetrate this sort of scam know that UPS would rather pay the claim than goof around trying to investigate. As long as it's under $500 or so, they'll just pay, no questions asked.

The seller carefully places an already damaged item in a box that is too large, poorly wrapped, etc. then lets UPS pick up the tab for "damages".

The same seller may very well turn around and sell a perfectly good item, and pack it well, leaving that buyer very happy.

The "pack it loosely" trick is just a way to get rid of broken and unwanted inventory, while still making top dollar.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 07:10:07 AM »

The only thing that can be said with any certainty here is this:  RadioMart strikes again!
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 10:56:05 AM »

Indeed!  A tiger does not change his stripes...
WY4J

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 04:21:25 PM »

True, if this guy has been ripping hams off for so many years and I understand it has been dozens of years. Why are ham such morons and keep this guy in business? I was selling a Drake L4B amplifier and this character offered me full price plus shipping if I would send it to him. Already aware of his soiled reputation, I courteously found an excuse not to do any business with him and moved on. 

Again, the only reason this guys is still in business is because hams send him their money. Must be a bunch of masochists.
WA5THJ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 08:30:20 PM »

I posted this information as I do not understand why this company would not follow through for me and perhaps someone can help me to resolve the issue. I was given a choice of a refund or a UPS damage claim. I chose the UPS damage claim. I received an email (that I copied here previously) stating that UPS waived an inspection of the damaged item. I cannot do anything with UPS myself, the shipper has to take care of that, as I did try to communicate directly with UPS but was told that they were dealing with the shipper. So, I am totally dependent on the shipper to handle this matter. The shipper states that I did not allow an inspection and I forfeited my rights to the claim.

RE: Claim Status - Claim Issued - Inspection Not RequiredWednesday, April 3, 2013 6:28 PM
From: "K4TEC" <K4TEC@radio-mart.net>Add sender to Contacts
To: "'Byron Tatum'" <bjtatum1@att.net>
No problem I now have your ip blocked and our email blocked,, you chose to be uncooperative, I have nothing to say to you except please get an attorney

Sent: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 6:50 PM
To: K4TEC
Subject: RE: Claim Status - Claim Issued - Inspection Not Required

It is not a cold case, I left it in your hands. I chose an insurance payment instead of returning the radio for a refund, so please stop throwing that in my face.  I was informed there would be no inspection, so why should I keep the box? I tossed the box after reading the email stating an inspection had been waived. You need to follow through with your duty regarding this claim. I am not going away regarding this matter.

--- On Wed, 4/3/13, K4TEC <K4TEC@radio-mart.net> wrote:

Subject: RE: Claim Status - Claim Issued - Inspection Not Required
To: "'Byron Tatum'" <bjtatum1@att.net>
Date: Wednesday, April 3, 2013, 7:08 AM

I sent them the documents but as you didn’t have the original packaging nor let them take it for inspection this is a cold case now

I have already explained this to you and you even refused a refund.

Nothing more I can do.

Sorry

Sent: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 9:32 PM
To: K4TEC@radio-mart.net
Subject: Fw: Claim Status - Claim Issued - Inspection Not Required

PLEASE TAKE CARE OF THIS MARTIN

K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 09:02:25 PM »

Again, it seems a lot of hams are willing to throw money away, but not willing to spend a few bucks on a plane ticket to sort this out in person..
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 05:40:39 AM »

I posted this information as I do not understand why this company would not follow through for me and perhaps someone can help me to resolve the issue....

Outside of a personal visit to a courtroom in his jurisdiction by yourself with a lawyer, there isn't much that anyone can or is willing to do.  There has been so much put on the internet about this person/company/former e-bay dealer/ham that it isn't funny.  Sorry to have to put it this way, but nobody can help you--except yourself.  You've got to look at what you've already lost against what you're willing to spend/lose.  To most, it just isn't worth the further aggravation. 73!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 05:45:16 AM by K1CJS » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: