Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Local car plate  (Read 25727 times)
K7MDO

Ignore
« on: February 08, 2013, 09:17:57 PM »

A local car I see around town bears plate KL7AIK and I am unable to find out his name so I can invite him to local ham gathering.  I am guessing he has lapsed with the FCC.  Any hope of getting a name short of chasing him down?

Thanks
AA6RR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 06:26:40 AM »

That is an interesting one. I have only found KL7AIK listed in the early 1950s',

Kurt Rosner, Shemya Air Force Base, Alaska

I assume that this is an Oregon plate(?). Is it a modern plate or do you remember if the color is from another time ? I hope that you can catch up to this person and find out the mystery.
K7MDO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 07:19:59 AM »

Thanks, I will try to see if that name is in local phone book.
The plate is an earlier version of an Oregon plate (solid yellow) but he could have just kept the vanity plate... there is more to this story. If I can make contact I will let you know.

K7MDO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 08:13:39 PM »

Don't give up.... I will tackle him at next sighting!  Turns out my wife's uncle was on Shemya in or around the same time.  Post WW2. Tom
AA6RR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 01:26:59 AM »

I am curious to see what you find out.
K7MDO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 11:36:30 AM »

OK!  I have made contact!!!.... It was my dyslexia that caused some of the confusion... the plate is actually KL7IAK and the fellows name is easy to locate, Terry White.

It is still interesting how ham radio often ties many things together.  But he, of course, was not on Shemya so the "uncle" thing is not there...

However, in talking to him I learned that he had once lived in the local area ('50's) and had at least two other call signs including K7AUK and at one time a "V" call in India while stationed there with something like foreign service.

My original hope was only to make contact and invite him to our local "ham" gathering that we have once a month.  We get up to 20 amateurs to show up most months but the more the better.

In talking to him it turns out he knows one of the stalwarts of our group from 1950's field days so it will be a good ragchew at the next get together!

In addition, when he was in India he mentioned he maintained a bank of 30 R-390a's for the US consulate and I happen to be currently rebuilding one on my bench at home and am excited to have the potential for a "professional" come over to give me some pointers!

If that wasn't enough I see from the internet he was involved with some kind of spectrum analyzer development in the past.  My elmer, W7JIP, was developer of spectrum analyzers for Tektronix and it has always left me with an interest in that equipment so we will have even more to "discuss" at the ham breakfast.

This is probably more than anyone wanted to know but because I started this with an erroneous license plate "read" I felt it warranted some explanation.

73, Tom 

AA6RR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 11:56:12 AM »

Thanks for the update, Tom. You work quick. I think you were lucky to run into someone with such a facinating history in Ham Radio. Having the R-390a in common will make for a great conversation. Good going !

Mike - AA6RR
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 09:33:16 AM »

Just a side note. I buddy of mine has an ex-girlfriend with the plate K9---. She was not a ham, but a dog lover.... ha ha

ron
N4UE
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 07:45:13 PM »

Just a side note. I buddy of mine has an ex-girlfriend with the plate K9---. She was not a ham, but a dog lover.... ha ha

ron
N4UE

I figured as much or she was a real DOG! LOL {:>)  Shocked

Clayton
W4KVW
W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 09:11:26 AM »

Thanks, I will try to see if that name is in local phone book.
The plate is an earlier version of an Oregon plate (solid yellow) but he could have just kept the vanity plate... there is more to this story. If I can make contact I will let you know.

Deleted my message, I see you contacted him. Good deal.  Wink

And thanks for the update too.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 09:19:38 AM by W7HBP » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: