Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Planning my 40m Dipole - Have Questions  (Read 1184 times)
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 11:27:36 AM »

It's hard to understand why the same lightning protection argument and same myths/misunderstandings continue to rear their ugly heads.

If done properly, one can protect himself and QTH "99.99999%" from lightning.

Lightning is an electrical tsunami. Just deal with it properly and you'll be fine.

A Ham with a PROPERLY protected shack is at a MUCH higher risk walking across a parking lot before an approaching storm than he is while operating from within said protected shack during a furious electrical storm.

Some of the advice given above and a large part of the advice given "online" is not correct.  Lightning and tower grounding practices are something I know about, despite being relatively new to amateur radio; but I am not going to get into a debate...again.

I recommend that each OM do his own due diligence and research the topic within recognized sources--and forego the opinions of the "Spit and Whittle Club." Your life (and that of your family, your dog, cat and parakeet) may depend on your own diligence.

For casual reading on the topic, see:

http://www.eham.net/articles/19773

http://www.eham.net/articles/19745

K5END

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 11:29:30 AM »

I have no idea why this comment posted 3 times.

Hey, eham. Why do these multiple posts show up?HuhHuh?

Deja Vu...
AD7WN

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 07:18:35 PM »

Might be caused by Yugoslavian Plum Brandy, the stuff that makes possible everything in the neverland.

73 de John AD7WN
YB3TD

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2009, 05:37:56 AM »

two weeks ago, I joined ARRL DX Contest CW with my 80 watts, inverted V, 30 feet high, single band 40m and logged 73 QSO's during greyline, including Florida (the most far state from YB). just put it up your antenna first. feel the spirit. then you can add more enhancements later. thinking too much consideration can reduce your energy.
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2009, 07:06:02 AM »

Absolutely agree with the 'YB'. Get that bird trap up and running; the rest will come later. Of course the YB success was helped by BEING 'YB'. [spoken as an ex-KW6]
W6PU

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 03:24:40 PM »

W8ZNX is right on!

About lightning protection:  All of my Coax feed lines
have PL259 male connectors on their ends-BEFORE they enter the house!  My QTH is on a hill top at 6000 feet, and we get some pretty good lightning up here!

The Coax line that exits the house also has a PL259 male connector.  The two seperate parts of each feed line are joined together OUTSIDE the house by a Barrel connector.

During stormy weather, the outside portion of the feedline is unscrewed from the barrel connector, and both  the shield and center conductor of the loose PL259, plug is grounded to a eight foot  outside copper
rod which is driven into the ground.

I have multiple feed lines, so I have and outside grounded metal plate with ten female coax connectors, all of which are grounded.  The whole disconnect and ground thing takes me about one minute!

Bob W6PU
ex K2DGT
ex W6PLH
AD7WN

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2009, 08:55:00 PM »

Bob/W6PU, your lightning protection scheme is as good as it gets.

As a matter of interest, how are you waterproofing those outdoor connectors?  I have ruined quite a bit of coax where exposed connections have to be frequently connected and disconnected, due to water ingress.  Boots can be placed over the connections after filling them with silicone but that makes it time-consuming to take them apart.  In my own case, I just use cheap coax and replace a section when it gets wet and gunky.

73 de John/AD7WN
K8JD

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2009, 08:42:44 AM »

All my wire ants are #14 THHN, I bought a 500 ft bulk roll at home improvement big store.
I bought 500 ft bulk RG8x for my coax feed lines. may have been from Cable Experts, advertized in QST.
My source for insulators has been MFJ, they sell a "6 pack" for less then 20 bucks!
I "obtained" RG6  75 ohm TV coax for impedance matching quarterwave lines for fullwave loops ONLY. c
All this stuff cost about 75 bucks and yeilded;160M dipole, 80M dipole, 40M fullwave loop and a 30M fullwave loop.
Bonus from left over wire was a 40M dipole for camping trips.

73...John
SKCC 1395T, FISTS 3853
Official US Taxpayer
K8JD

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009, 08:46:32 AM »

If your dipole center is only 8 ft off ground, cut to formula length,  you will find the swr minimum way below 7.000 mHz due to ground capacitance effect. be prepared to do some trimming or get it up a lot higher.

73...John
SKCC 1395T, FISTS 3853
Official US Taxpayer
KC6ZBE

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2009, 02:02:55 PM »

I live in an HOA area and have a 40m dipole up. Like some have mentioned, dont sweat the big things.

I have one end tied off in the backyard with rope into the tree that is tied into a pulley system with weights. I do this because every now and than we get some pretty good storms that roll through here with lots of wind...When the tree sways around, it will allow some extra slack. The other end is tied off into a tree in the front yard with 80lb test fishing line. Using the fishing line was the only way to make it stealth enough for no one to see it and it works..My antenna is probably about 20-25ft up but it works just fine. Ive made contacts in Italy, Nigeria, SA, etc with it.

Get yours up and have fun with it!

Good luck
Dave
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: