Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is SK  (Read 668 times)
K7NHB

Ignore
« on: August 09, 2009, 09:19:46 AM »

So I'm listening to this easy fist on 30M CW yesterday and I hear something like CQ sk de k0luw and I'm wondering if I'm hearing a ghost or someone who want's a QSO with a ghost.

If you know k0luw, tell him is fist sounded great in Oregon. I could copy a lot in my head - by letters, not works. Great Spacing.

So I guess SK is "straight key" and not what I originally thought.
Paul
LB3KB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 11:44:46 AM »

Obviously I don't know what you heard, but there is a difference between characters (e.g. SK) sent with character spacing and prosigns (such as \SK) which are sent without character spacing.

(\xx is my preferred prosign notation, it allows me to distinguish between the two in writing.)

LB3KB Sigurd
http://justlearnmorsecode.com
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 11:52:20 AM »

Very inappropriate to send "CQ SK."  I don't think any experienced CW operator would ever send that.

There is SKCC, a club dedicated to promotion of Morse and the use of straight keys, and "CQ SKCC" might be appropriate.

But "SK" denotes the end of a contact and also is a common abbreviation for "Silent Key" (deceased amateur), and in neither case would one call "CQ SK."

WB2WIK/6
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 10:57:21 AM »

K0LUW is active in SKCC. Sunday was SKCC Sprint for the entire 24 hours Z. Perhaps it was CQ SKS, since SKS is their abbreviation for SK Straight Key Sprint.
K7NHB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 09:21:38 PM »

Yes I sometimes heard the ending S in there for SKS. I know it wasn't the SK end of transmission because of where it appeared. But I know understand it was the sprint.  But the point is, once in the QSO, it was a joy to hear and copy while tearing down shelves.
K8JD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 06:28:58 AM »

SKS is "Straight Key Sprint", an activity that is sponsored by the Straight Key Century Club. See the website for all lthe info. WWW.skccgroup.com
I can be heard sending "CQ SKCC" in the evenings on 160, 80, 40 or 30M. Meaning I qm looking for other members of the club to exchange member numbers and rag chew..

73...John
SKCC 1395T, FISTS 3853
Official US Taxpayer
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 09:06:58 AM »

Long shot guess, OM... but maybe your heard  "Q"SK.

I have called CQ QSK to find someone with QSK, for a more conversational QSO.  

Or, I still have one of my memory buttons programed to send CQ [x4] DE N7DM [x2] QSK ...{pause, repeat}.I can set that thing going and do something else, until I hear some 'dit-dit' coming through my QSK...

dm
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 09:51:32 PM »

'Nuther long shot, but maybe the sender is working on his WAS and trying for South Dakota or South Carolina and either an error was made by the sender or QSB caused some confusion.

Just a guess, but I can see it as a possibility.
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 09:53:55 PM »

On second thought...nah.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: