Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the frequency clear?  (Read 6429 times)
KC8SLC

Ignore
« on: February 09, 2013, 01:14:16 PM »

Hello everyone! I have been practicing code for some time now and I'm ready to get on the air!! My question is what do you send to ask if the frequency is clear? I checked the Q code list, and I did not see anything. Thanks, Tim.
G4IJE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 01:23:43 PM »

Send QRL? If there's no reply you are good to go.
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 03:43:31 PM »

Yes - an please remember to put the the question mark at the end of the Q-signal so that it's a question.  It would look like this (as an example)

QRL ?  K      //PAUSE TO LISTEN//
QRL ? K      // INCASE THERE IS ANY DELAY IN RESPONSE//
CQ CQ CQ DE YOUR CALLSIGN . . .

There are those who (unwittingly?) leave the question mark off and send simply QRL QRL QRL  CQ CQ CQ  ... (no question mark) Which translated mean's "This frequency in now busy."  //Elvis has entered the room.//   Which is rather like pushing into a total stranger's house at dinner time and then demanding an apology.

Thanks for asking.  It shows that you're going to be a considerate operator!

73 de Ray
W7ASA ..._ ._
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 03:46:36 PM by W7ASA » Logged
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 04:50:14 PM »

Hello everyone! I have been practicing code for some time now and I'm ready to get on the air!! My question is what do you send to ask if the frequency is clear? I checked the Q code list, and I did not see anything. Thanks, Tim.

I have always used QRZ QRZ de mycall...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 05:13:55 PM »

sending QRL? is the standard practice.  while it translates as 'are you busy?' i always think of it as 'is this frequency busy?'
on phone one often hears: "QRZed, is the frequency in use? but QRZ? means: who is calling me?  It seems strange  Huh that I've never heard "QRL, is the frequency in use?" on phone.  On phone, I usually use the simpler: "Is the frequency in use?"

here is a link to a CW guide I found that mentions it under the calling CQ section:
http://www.netwalk.com/~fsv/CWguide.htm
WB3CQM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 05:30:33 PM »

QRZ means Who is calling me. (Wrong to use to find a clear freq)  

QRL ? means is the Freq in use.

You will also hear some hams send just  ? ? or ?? their call Or just ?

I look at DX Summit and I have Reverse Beacon on . I look at the freq in question and I sit there a while to make sure no one is using it.

Still does not mean no one is on that freq. No# 1 the band can change and 1 min ago no one was there but now there is.

Just because you send QRL ? or some hams will send just QRL , does NOT mean no one is there. People do NOT always send RR or QRL or QSY or YES  . They just for some reason do not say anything maybe because  the DX station is sending their call or a rst or important info. Then if they would send QSY or QRL or YES they have just QRMed the dx station or they just missed something being sent to them. I sure do not like to ever send anything if you come on freq and send QRL? Cause I there fore answer yes   or qsy I have QRMed the DX station or a qso that could be a problem.

I have heard stations come on freq send QRL ? and no one answer them . Then they call cq and then they jump down his throat. So don't get mad if this happens.

there for I look at dX summit , reverse beacon , I send QRL ? wait Send QRL ? again Wait send short cq my call . If nothing heard  Then longer cq sequence. But I do not call cq much so no big deal . In fact I think I went over a year or more without calling cq ::lol::

I mostly chase after  new dx I sit for hours waiting listening for station to come on freq or for the propagation to change where I can send my call . "crazy " I know. Working the gray line .

Or I just tune up and down the band . up the band down the band. ::lol:: Jump up to 40 up to 30 back to 160 . Searching listening , copying other stations .

You will figure it out , have fun .

Good Luck and 73 JIM

KB9BVN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 10:48:31 PM »

Sending QRL? is the sign of a good CW operator.  Send it, wait, send it again....then proceed if no response.

If you hear someone send the letter C after you QRL? - that means yes, the freq is busy.

C = si = yes

C is faster than YES and doesn't wreck the QSO in progress as bad.

M0JHA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 01:23:20 AM »

People NOT  using QRL ? is a pet hate of mine , just bad manners .
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 02:36:08 AM »

I always send QRL? x 2 then wait a bit and listen. Then do it again. Then call.

Not that anybody hears me!

There are guys who DO send QRL? but wait about a millisecond before they start calling..... Angry

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
WB3CQM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 04:27:20 AM »

Sending QRL? is the sign of a good CW operator.  Send it, wait, send it again....then proceed if no response.

If you hear someone send the letter C after you QRL? - that means yes, the freq is busy.

C = si = yes

C is faster than YES and doesn't wreck the QSO in progress as bad.

Yea "C" that  is maybe the Best one . 

Good Post .

73 JIM
KC8SLC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 05:32:07 AM »

Thanks for the excellent input guys!! If I get time, I'll hook up my SW30 or AC1 Junior the next few days and have at it!!!  Cheesy Cheesy Shocked Shocked
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 06:56:07 AM »

[no response to a 'QRL?'] does not mean no one is on that freq. No# 1 the band can change and 1 min ago no one was there but now there is.

Just because you send QRL ? or some hams will send just QRL , does NOT mean no one is there. People do NOT always send RR or QRL or QSY or YES  . They just for some reason do not say anything maybe because  the DX station is sending their call or a rst or important info. Then if they would send QSY or QRL or YES they have just QRMed the dx station or they just missed something being sent to them. I sure do not like to ever send anything if you come on freq and send QRL? Cause I there fore answer yes   or qsy I have QRMed the DX station or a qso that could be a problem.

I have heard stations come on freq send QRL ? and no one answer them . Then they call cq and then they jump down his throat. So don't get mad if this happens.

excellent points.  i have observed a few occasions where a station on a frequency demands another station QSY because they have been on a particular frequency for say an hour.  what they fail to realize is propagation may have changed, so while a particular frequency may be in use by a Pacific DX station working multiple contacts and two American stations having a QSO at the same time without QRM under one set of condx, when propagation changes QRM may occur although both have 'held' the frequency for some time.  I think it was on 40 meters that I heard a fairly impolite complaint by some American hams about it recently.  Usually hams are pretty knowledgeable and polite when such conflicts arise, but lately that seems to be less true.  on phone especially, on-the-air behavior is not nearly as polite as it was several decades ago, but in general it is still pretty good... 

just remember sometimes QRM happens.  as long as you do your best to not cause it by asking if a frequency is in use (and listening) before calling CQ, and as long as you are willing to cease transmissions immediately if u find u have accidentally interfered with a QSO -- it is all good. 73
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 11:58:16 AM »

...frequently heard, usually someone who just turned on the rig or just tuned to the frequency and hasnt been listening:

QRL? pause for 1 second.
CQCQCCQCQCQCQCQCQCQCQCQCQCQ.....
==========================
It  comes across as trying to hijack the frequency by expecting someone who is already there in QSO, to notice, drop everything, and give an immediate response, while ignoring the station he is already talking to.

On a quiet or noisy band with other qrm, qrn, some qsb, filters cranked in,  the existing  qso may be fairly busy trying to copy each other, or  have such good copy that the brief newcomer isnt enough of a problem to copy/answer or even notice very much.

It's also surprising how  often CQ's are answered by  someone elses QRL? quickly followed by CQCQCQCQCQCQ.  For some reason this is especially  noticable around 7.025-7.035.

Nothing beats listening on the frequency first.  Then, to be sure, calling a QRL? is  the right thing to do.

For those contest operators out there, well, that's another story! Smiley

AB9NZ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 04:22:41 PM »

How does a fella call or answer a QRL when working a modem noise mode in the cw bands? 73 de Tom, ab9nz
WB6THE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 08:11:34 PM »

Been a CW ham for 46 years and I don't consider myself any expert.
Not looking to start any wars, but here is as I see it. You decide to look for
a frequency for a CW QSO and you intend to call CQ. So tune around and here's
what sounds like an empty frequency. So listen for a minute ot two and you hear
nothing so go ahead and call CQ because you've listened and heard nothing.
No reason to ask QRL (Is The Frequency In Use) because you've listened for a time.
If the frequency IS in use and you've not heard any activity but the frequency *IS* in use
then one of the ops who can hear you might send QRL TNX (Busy, Thank You).
If you are active in a QSO on a frequency and you hear QRL then send QRL TNX.
Also, don't drop onto an empty frequency and call QRZ (Who Is Callng Me). No one is
calling you... no one knows that you are on frequency.
QRZ QRZ on an empty frequency is equivalent to "breaker breaker 19". QRL would be a
good request if you're in QSO and need to change frequency up or down to avoid QRM.
Not a lot of time to listen so just ask if the frequency is busy. Use QRL sparingly.
Now, suppose you call CQ and you get a reply but you're adjusting the receiver and CW
filters, etc and you can hear the station but simply missed his call. QRZ (Who Is Calling Me0
is appropriate. All just my observation and opinion.

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: