Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to get IRCs  (Read 2063 times)
KK4GGL

Ignore
« on: February 03, 2013, 05:46:29 AM »

I am not sure if this the appropriate forum.

Does anyone know if buying IRCs from countries that still sell them, and then using them as SASE return postage to the US will work, or is legal?

Thanks,

Rick KK4GGL
K2MK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 06:38:07 AM »

You can buy IRCs from some of the larger volume QSL managers that handle DXpeditions. They typically have an excess and are happy to sell them. Don't buy more than you need as they expire quickly. Send out a few e-mail inquiries.

An IRC will be redeemable for postage stamps in any country that has not discontinued their use. So yes it is legal. It's best to follow the advice provided on the ham's QRZ page. Some only want green stamps and some only want IRCs.

Mike K2MK
W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 06:53:45 AM »

Hi,

The US Post Offices still redeem IRC's, they just no longer sell them, I just exchanged forty IRC's for forty $1.10 international stamps last Friday.

HOWEVER, I personally would rather green stamps, as I usually wait untill I have 40 or 50 IRC's before I want to drive to the Post Office, spend the 20-30 minutes waiting in line, and then for them to find a "supervisor" to explain to a clerk how to exchange them. So IRC's are a PITA for me. I can not guess what it is like cashing them in, in a foreign country, assuming that foreign country even accepts them.

BTW, 90% of the IRC's I receive are not from the same country as the QSL, indicating most IRC's are "recycled". Most likely to avoid the PITA factor or the non-acceptance by various countries.

John  W5JON  -  V47JA  - J68JA - V31FB - P40DX  -  G0AOH

« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 07:04:24 AM by W5JON » Logged
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 07:00:46 AM »

Rick KK4GGL
WL7E

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 02:31:48 PM »

Richard,

If you still need IRC's I have some for sale, all properly stamped. Send me an email if you like. I am good on qrz.

Joe WL7E
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 04:34:01 PM »

Richard,

If you still need IRC's I have some for sale, all properly stamped. Send me an email if you like. I am good on qrz.

Joe WL7E

Thanks. I'll let you know if I need the IRCs

Rick KK4GGL
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 08:21:34 AM »

BTW, 90% of the IRC's I receive are not from the same country as the QSL, indicating most IRC's are "recycled". Most likely to avoid the PITA factor or the non-acceptance by various countries.

Or the fact that you can sell an IRC for $2 instead of exchanging it for a $1.10 stamp.
AB3CX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 03:53:17 PM »

The post office sells them directly from its website...
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 04:11:48 PM »

The USPS used to sell IRCs,  but  I can't find them on their web site.

http://www.arrl.org/news/new-international-reply-coupon-introduced
This news story says the USPS has stopped selling them.

I just got some IRCs from W3HNK.

Zack W1VT

KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 11:41:08 AM »

Not terribly surprised - no post office within 50 miles of here would stock any more than 5 IRCs at a time.

Does make things more of a PITA for hams who don't accept green stamps, or places high in theft...
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 02:13:45 PM »

It's been years since I've purchased or sent out an IRC.  Is there a current list of countries where US cash is illegal?

Chuck  NI0C
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 07:12:38 AM »

It's been years since I've purchased or sent out an IRC.  Is there a current list of countries where US cash is illegal?

Chuck  NI0C

I think the idea is that theft, rather than legality, is the concern. But, I do not understand how an envelope with an IRC can get delivered whereas one with green stamps gets pilfered and discarded. How would the thief know the contents ahead of time, without first destroying the envelope and making the whole point moot?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: